A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering New S8 Plus but Need Thoughts Overall and on the Sport Exhaust Option

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 05:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering New S8 Plus but Need Thoughts Overall and on the Sport Exhaust Option

I have been considering A 2017 S8 Plus or a RS7 Plus. My intention is to lease one, not purchase since I change cars every three years. I am in the Northeast and would like to be able to drive the car more throughout the year and have looked into winter tires that will fit the rims. There appears to be options for the S8 21 wheels but not the RS7 because I could not find anything for the rear tires which are larger than the front. I don't want to buy separate wheels since this is a lease and I am not sure what i would do with them after.

I currently have an BMW M6 which I only drive in great weather (I do have other cars for daily use) but I am looking for one vehicle I can drive daily that is fun, quick and somewhat under the radar so I do not have to split up my driving among various cars. I am assuming if I get the S8 Plus and also put winter tires on it, I can drive it 80% of the time since it is more practical day to day than my M6 which does not have a usable rear seat or truck space. (I had a previous A8 years ago that was nice but boring.) I also like that in the black, the S8 is a "Q-Ship" and will appear to most people, like just another A8. To some degree, in black, the same is true for the RS7.

I have driven both and I loved the sound and feel of the RS7 but prefer the looks, space and interior of the S8. I am leaning toward the S8 but wish it drove a little tighter than what I experienced--I know it is still a sedan; I also wish the engine and exhaust sound was more present in the S8,--I do not know if there are ways to set up the car in the Individual mode to get closer to the RS7 sound and feel. I drove both cars back to back in the Dynamic Mode. That is one of the things I really like about the M6, it has very nice exhaust note both inside and outside the car, especially when you hit the "M" button!

The S8 I would order would be Mythos Black, Black/red stitching interior, titanium wheels, cold weather package, Driver Assistance Package, B&O. I have been going back an forth on the Black Optic--I like it both ways. . .

My real dilemma is the Dynamic Package -- Does the sport exhaust improve the overall sound of the engine in the car; can I hear it more? I don't really need the ceramic brakes, but it appears that my only choice to get the sport exhaust is to get this package. Does anyone know if a dealer can order it separately from the package like on a RS7? Any thoughts or experiences with this package on the car?

I also noticed that the dealers seem more likely to offer a better deal on the S8 Plus than the RS7 Plus--I am not sure why, but from a lease perspective the S8 at the same sticker leases for less as the money factor is about a third of the RS7's.

Thanks for any input and suggestions!
Old 01-22-2017, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KGNJ
I have been considering A 2017 S8 Plus or a RS7 Plus. My intention is to lease one, not purchase since I change cars every three years. I am in the Northeast and would like to be able to drive the car more throughout the year and have looked into winter tires that will fit the rims. There appears to be options for the S8 21 wheels but not the RS7 because I could not find anything for the rear tires which are larger than the front. I don't want to buy separate wheels since this is a lease and I am not sure what i would do with them after.

I currently have an BMW M6 which I only drive in great weather (I do have other cars for daily use) but I am looking for one vehicle I can drive daily that is fun, quick and somewhat under the radar so I do not have to split up my driving among various cars. I am assuming if I get the S8 Plus and also put winter tires on it, I can drive it 80% of the time since it is more practical day to day than my M6 which does not have a usable rear seat or truck space. (I had a previous A8 years ago that was nice but boring.) I also like that in the black, the S8 is a "Q-Ship" and will appear to most people, like just another A8. To some degree, in black, the same is true for the RS7.

I have driven both and I loved the sound and feel of the RS7 but prefer the looks, space and interior of the S8. I am leaning toward the S8 but wish it drove a little tighter than what I experienced--I know it is still a sedan; I also wish the engine and exhaust sound was more present in the S8,--I do not know if there are ways to set up the car in the Individual mode to get closer to the RS7 sound and feel. I drove both cars back to back in the Dynamic Mode. That is one of the things I really like about the M6, it has very nice exhaust note both inside and outside the car, especially when you hit the "M" button!

The S8 I would order would be Mythos Black, Black/red stitching interior, titanium wheels, cold weather package, Driver Assistance Package, B&O. I have been going back an forth on the Black Optic--I like it both ways. . .

My real dilemma is the Dynamic Package -- Does the sport exhaust improve the overall sound of the engine in the car; can I hear it more? I don't really need the ceramic brakes, but it appears that my only choice to get the sport exhaust is to get this package. Does anyone know if a dealer can order it separately from the package like on a RS7? Any thoughts or experiences with this package on the car?

I also noticed that the dealers seem more likely to offer a better deal on the S8 Plus than the RS7 Plus--I am not sure why, but from a lease perspective the S8 at the same sticker leases for less as the money factor is about a third of the RS7's.

I don't have a comment on the sport exhaust, but the real reason to get the Dynamic Package is the sport differential. I don't have it on my A8, but I had two Acura RLs with SH-AWD and the torque vectoring rear differential really improves the handling characteristics. Check the comments from A8/S8 owners with the sport differential - I haven't seen a bad (or even medium) review yet.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by dwboston
I don't have a comment on the sport exhaust, but the real reason to get the Dynamic Package is the sport differential. I don't have it on my A8, but I had two Acura RLs with SH-AWD and the torque vectoring rear differential really improves the handling characteristics. Check the comments from A8/S8 owners with the sport differential - I haven't seen a bad (or even medium) review yet.
S8 would already have the sport diff as standard.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could get a cheaper aftermarket exhaust like the APR with downpipes, but would void the warranty because they are catless.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just bought a 2016 s8 plus 10 days ago, equipped exactly as you are right down to color. The car is great, the engine is amazing. I find the throaty noise in dynamic mode when stepped on perfect for me, not into needless noise like they add in Mercedes AMG these days. Not sure the B&O is worth the money, if the same Bose surround stereo they use in the 2017 a8 is the one in the s8, I would go with Bose, not impressed with the B&O, although it might improve with break in. Regards. Ned.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have a mythos black S8 Plus and absolutely love the car. I debated about the dynamic package for some time and finally decided to go with it. I haven't regretted it for a single minute. The sport exhaust sounds great without being overly loud. It has more of a deep rumble than the standard exhaust, the difference is noticeable. I don't think the sport exhaust is available as a stand alone option. You have to order the dynamic package, the brakes are awesome by the way very little brake dust and they're not too "grabby" around town.

My previous car was an A7 and it got more attention than the S8 does for sure. If your trying not to attract attention to yourself I'd say the S8 is the better choice.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Lander and Ngerstman for the experience share with the car.

I test drove an S8 today with the Dynamic package and it did have a much more present exhaust/engine sound. It was a great drive!

It was the Mythos Black and had mostly everything I am looking for but it did not have the titanium wheels but the standard silver version; nor the black optic package and I thought the brightwork detracted overall against the black--at least to me anyway. To my eye, if I go with the Mythos, it needs the black optic package and the titanium wheels to feel visually balanced.

I stopped at another dealer to look at a Daytona Gray Pearl S8 that did not have the black optic package but it did have the titanium wheels and in this combination, the brightwork looked good since it blended more with the gray paint color. This car did not have the dynamic package but I was just interested in seeing the Daytona color in person.

I have located at another dealer with a Daytona Gray, Black interior with red stitching, Dynamic, Driver assist and cold weather packages. It does not have the black optic or the B&O and I think I could live without the black optic in this combination. The question is the B&O worth ordering the car for or searching further out to see if a car with my desired equipment is out there?

I have not heard the the Bose system but I did hear the B&O in another S8 and it sounded pretty good. I appreciate the input that Ngerstman provided that at this point, he is not sure it is worth the value--any other input would be appreciated! I mostly listen to Jazz on Sirius so I appreciate clean but rich sound.

Lastly, I popped over to the parts department to ask what winter tires are recommended by Audi for the S8--they said Audi sells/recommends Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D XL and Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 XL. I don't know where you both are and if Winter driving is a concern, but i am curious if anyone has any experiences with these tires or something else. The Sottozero is about $200 more than the Dunlop per tire! Since this will be a lease I figure I need about three Winters out of these tires.

Does anyone know of an all season type tire for the S8 that matches the 275/35R/21 OEM summer tires that come on the car?

Also, if I have the titanium wheels, will they not show any damage from having the tires swapped out twice a year?

Interestingly, parts said the Winter tire for the RS7 Plus is a Dunlop Winter Sport 4D RO1 XL BW but is not readily available. For some reason, another dealer told me the RS7 Plus has 285/35/21's in the front and 325/30/21's in the rear and there are no winter tires to replace the rear tires. . .so either parts is wrong or the sales person for the RS7 is wrong!

As a last question, when considering the S8 Plus did you also consider the RS7 Plus and if so, what sold you on the S8?

Sorry for all the comments and questions -- but I am trying to sort through these questions and concerns.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Lander and Ngerstman for the experience share with the car.

I test drove an S8 today with the Dynamic package and it did have a much more present exhaust/engine sound. It was a great drive!

It was the Mythos Black and had mostly everything I am looking for but it did not have the titanium wheels but the standard silver version; nor the black optic package and I thought the brightwork detracted overall against the black--at least to me anyway. To my eye, if I go with the Mythos, it needs the black optic package and the titanium wheels to feel visually balanced.

I stopped at another dealer to look at a Daytona Gray Pearl S8 that did not have the black optic package but it did have the titanium wheels and in this combination, the brightwork looked good since it blended more with the gray paint color. This car did not have the dynamic package but I was just interested in seeing the Daytona color in person.

I have located at another dealer with a Daytona Gray, Black interior with red stitching, Dynamic, Driver assist and cold weather packages. It does not have the black optic or the B&O and I think I could live without the black optic in this combination. The question is the B&O worth ordering the car for or searching further out to see if a car with my desired equipment is out there?

I have not heard the the Bose system but I did hear the B&O in another S8 and it sounded pretty good. I appreciate the input that Ngerstman provided that at this point, he is not sure it is worth the value--any other input would be appreciated! I mostly listen to Jazz on Sirius so I appreciate clean but rich sound.

Lastly, I popped over to the parts department to ask what winter tires are recommended by Audi for the S8--they said Audi sells/recommends Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D XL and Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 XL. I don't know where you both are and if Winter driving is a concern, but i am curious if anyone has any experiences with these tires or something else. The Sottozero is about $200 more than the Dunlop per tire! Since this will be a lease I figure I need about three Winters out of these tires.

Does anyone know of an all season type tire for the S8 that matches the 275/35R/21 OEM summer tires that come on the car?

Also, if I have the titanium wheels, will they not show any damage from having the tires swapped out twice a year?

Interestingly, parts said the Winter tire for the RS7 Plus is a Dunlop Winter Sport 4D RO1 XL BW but is not readily available. For some reason, another dealer told me the RS7 Plus has 285/35/21's in the front and 325/30/21's in the rear and there are no winter tires to replace the rear tires. . .so either parts is wrong or the sales person for the RS7 is wrong!

As a last question, when considering the S8 Plus did you also consider the RS7 Plus and if so, what sold you on the S8?

Sorry for all the comments and questions -- but I am trying to sort through these questions and concerns.
I looked at a cpo rs7 and while gorgeous, not what I was looking for, I wanted a more civilized, comfortable ride. I'm am not disappointed at all, the s8 ride is great for a large luxury sedan, much better drive than the Mercedes s550 I test drove. There is not fooling Mother Nature of course, it will not handle like the smaller rs7 for sure. Alternatively, the rs7 will not be anywhere near as comfortable, nor is the rs7 built to the bank vault quality of the s8, no comparison. My s8 is in Florida so winter tires not an issue but if I'm not mistaken, there are no all season tires that fit on an s8, I considered a cpo s8 originally for my home in NJ and planned on replacing the 21's with 20's so I could use all season tires. I personally believe that the Bose system will be better for your music needs, the B&O may be crisp but has little midrange warmth and needs to be cranked to come to life. Regards. Ned.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ps. I think the important options are the dynamic package and the leather seats with the red stitching which gets you the copper threaded carbon fiber interior which is stunning. While I have the black optic package, which I agree looks nice on the Mythos black(I think their nicest black, nicer than the older black variants), don't think it's that necessary. I just got a great deal on a loaded 2016, had the black optic package. Regards. Ned.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm in Colorado but I have a truck that I drive when the weather is bad so I can't speak from experience as far as handling in the snow. I would bet that with good snow tires the car would do as well as any other Audi.
As far as the B&O system I love the way mine sounds but I am definitely not an audiophile. I think it depends on what your comparing it to. My A7 had the Bose system and the S8 sounds much much better. Mine is Mythos with black optic and I think it's a must on a black car. For what it's worth I've had second thoughts about not going with Daytona grey a couple of times when I was washing the car. Mythos looks great when it's clean but it's hard to keep it that way.

Quick Reply: Considering New S8 Plus but Need Thoughts Overall and on the Sport Exhaust Option