A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Continuing Saga of Failure

Old 09-23-2016, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default The Continuing Saga of Failure

I have been having some serious issues with Audi Spokane Wa. I bought my CPO 2013 A8L 4.0t in July from a great dealership in Shawnee Ks. Right after I bought the car I contacted Audi via online chat about getting my system upgraded so I could use AT&T as there is no T-Mobile coverage where I live. They said I needed to contact my local dealer and set up an appointment to get it upgraded. I had some things going on so it was the week of August 15th before I was able to set up an appointment to have my Audi Connect modem updated. I called the dealer, gave them my vin#, and they verified I could have the update done. After I set up the appointment I called back a couple of day later and they had no record of it. So I went through setting it up all over again. I then called the day before I took my car in to make sure everything was ready to go. I also let them know that I had a couple of fault codes I wanted them to look at. One for a turbo bypass valve and one for an engine mount. In addition I was getting some cupping on the outer edges of the front tires. I’ve only had the car for a few weeks and it’s a CPO so I felt a free alignment was in order. It should have been good to go when I bought it but hey mistakes happen. I told them I understood if they were not able to fix all the issues at this appointment as they would probably have to order parts. I just wanted them on file as happening before I hit 50k miles. Keep in mind I have to drive 170 miles each way to go to the dealer. I know it’s my fault for living in the sticks. That’s why I called ahead to make sure everything was good to go. I took the car in on 8/27/16. Dropped it off and they gave me a loaner. 3.5 hours later I get a call that my car is done but they didn’t do anything to it. I returned to the dealership and they said my car wasn’t eligible for the Audi Connect update. Needless to say I was angry. But that’s a battle I have to fight with Audi and not the dealership. I did however ask them why they didn’t tell me this when I set up the appointment. Excuses where offered. Obviously they were bull**** excuses. I asked about all the other things I asked them to look at. They said the cupping issue would require an alignment and I’d have to pay for it. I told them I just bought the car and it’s a CPO. They told me I didn’t buy it from them and I’d have to take it back to the dealer I bought it from. An argument ensued and I lost my temper. Finally I asked them about the fault codes. They said what fault codes? Again I was angry. They brought a tech out and he plugged into my car. Did some stuff and then says it’s fixed. I thought to myself at least that’s done and it wasn’t a totally wasted trip. So I jump in the car to leave and then think to myself “I better check the codes”. Sure enough I plug in VCDS and the codes are gone! Woo Hoo! Then I decide to start the car and check them again. Codes came back instantly. Sad face. I walk back in and tell the service manager that the codes are back. He has the tech come back and plug in again. He does some stuff for about 15 minutes. Then he starts the car and gets a look on his face that doesn’t inspire confidence. He goes back inside and talks to the service manager. He then comes out and tells me they are going to have to order parts. I figured as much. But I remind him that all this should have been done before I came to pick up the car and that had I not been an informed owner with a scan tool they would have never known there was a problem. Anyway I leave and drive home. This all happened on a Saturday. I call in on Monday and the service advisor apologizes for all the trouble. He offers to have me bring the car down Saturday 9/10 and drop it off. They will give me a loaner and I can come pick it up the following Saturday. That way they have time to order the parts and install them etc. As that is exactly what I was going to propose I agreed. After that phone call I called the dealership I bought the car from in KS and told them about the alignment issue and that Audi Spokane wanted to charge me. They apolojized and said they would call Audi Spokane to work it out. The KS dealer calls me back and says it’s all taken care of. Alignment will be done and no charge to me. I sure wish I lived closer to Audi Shawnee Mission KS. Well not really as there are no mountains there but I really like the customer service there. So I drop it off again Saturday the 10th and they give me a loaner. Q5 with a 3.0t. Much better than the Q5 with a 2.0t they gave me last time. My wife and I head home. I called on Wednesday for a status update and I’m told they are waiting on parts. WTF! But they assure me it will be ready to go by Saturday. At this point I have my doubts. My wife and I decided to go to Spokane Friday night and enjoy some events and the Fair. I called when we got to town Friday and was told it’s not ready but they will call me on Saturday when it’s done. I knew it was a long shot anyway so no big deal. We have fun at the fair Friday night and for several hours again on Saturday. I finally get the call around 3:30 that it’s done. I go pick it up and first thing I do is plug in VCDS to confirm the codes are gone. Not surprisingly the engine mount code is still there. I clear it and start the car. It comes back. Once again I go back inside to tell the service manager that yet again they suck at their jobs. He has a tech take the car back in the shop. About an hour later they bring it back around and tell me it’s fixed. At this point I’m ready to go so we leave. I made it about 40 miles when the cruise quits working and I get the ACC and braking guard inactive message on the dash. I take the next exit and get out of the car to see if maybe a piece of paper or something is stuck on a sensor. When I look at the driver’s side front wheel it is covered in something. Looks like it’s probably brake fluid. Then I notice it’s all down the side of the car too. Did I mention that it’s also pouring down rain at this point? I get back in the car and call the dealer. They instruct me not to drive the car and call Audi roadside to get I towed. They also send one of their parts runner kids to bring me the Q5 so I have something to drive. An hour later the tow truck and Q5 arrive. I watched while the scruffy tow truck driver gently (sarcasm) lifts up the front of my car and then installs the wheels under the back. He then starts getting his magnetic lights to put on the trunk. At first I’m horrified at the thought of paint damage. I mention this to the driver and he shows me the rubber coating on the bottom. Which is worn through in several spots. At this point I remember that the car is aluminum and tell him so. He blankly stares at me then asks what he is supposed to do. I suggest that maybe he just turns on the emergency flashers. He does so and drives away. My wife and I drive home. Monday I call the dealership and am told they hadn’t had time to look at it. Yet again I lose my temper. They finally call back a few hours later to tell me the CV boot is “torn”. My guess is whatever method they used to install the motor mount caused the cv boot “tear”. More likely they over extended the axle and pulled the boot off. But I digress. He then tells me they “messed up” doing the alignment and that’s why my cruise quit working. He tells me parts are already ordered and that they will fix the car and then deliver it to me by Friday. I call back on Wednesday to check on it and the service manager is out at a tech training until Friday. I’m assured that everything is still on track and I’ll get my car back. I call on Thursday and am told they are waiting on parts. Again WTF! This is at noon. I demand a call back from someone to tell me exactly what’s going on. At 3:30 I call them back as I never heard from them. The girl tells me “oh he didn’t call you?” and that the service advisor that was supposed to call me has left for the day. I’m beyond pissed at this point and again demand to speak to a manager. They put me on hold for 5 minutes and then come back and tell me he’s with a customer and will have to call me back. I hang up. At 5:30 I call them again as they never called back. The same girl answers and I ask why I never got a call back. Her answer is “you didn’t leave your number”. I ask her if she knows my name (we’ve spoken many times now) and she replies of course I do Mr. Brown. So I ask her why she didn’t look in my account as my phone # is on file. Her response is “oh I didn’t think of that”. So finally I get to speak with the sales manager as he is the highest ranking person there at the time. He tells me he’ll look into it and call me back. Like an hour later he calls and says the cv boot wasn’t ordered until Tuesday but did arrive early Thursday (it is now Thursday evening). He doesn’t know why it was installed right away as my car is a priority. I told him I certainly didn’t feel like it was much of a priority to them. He then assured me it would be done first thing Friday morning and they would have it back to me that day. Well it’s now 12:30pm on Friday and my car is not on its way here. I have zero confidence that it will arrive today.

How’s your Friday going?
Old 09-23-2016, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm tired from reading all that! best of luck though. some dealerships are just sub par
Old 09-23-2016, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Duke,
This sucks royally and I've thought my dealership is bad...At this point in time I will call AoA, let them know and ask them to take it from here. I've had a overcharged problem with my dealership on my, now departed S8, so, I've called them and they're very helpful, just my 0.2
Sorry for these problems with your new car, I understand your frustration, let's hope it will be solved to you complete satisfaction.
Good luck and keep us posted !
Old 09-23-2016, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Tell me about it. But the next closest dealer is 400 miles away.

Also an update. I called them just now (because why would they call me?) and they are still not done with the car. I will not be surprised at all if I don't see the car until next week. Or maybe the week after that. Also as they promised to call me back in an hour I will likely have to call them in a couple of hours only to find out that whoever I need to speak to has gone home for the day.

P.S.
Sorry for the long rambling post. I certainly feel a little better after typing all that out.
The following users liked this post:
mikesvwservice (08-07-2022)
Old 09-23-2016, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I remember my old BMW days, their dealers would do absolutely everything to make you happy night and day, and the next day you will get a call from BMW to ask if you're satisfied....now that's what I call customer care, Audi seems to have improved quiet a bit but apparently not this dealer, again I will call AoA. On the other hand sometimes I have to go to Chicago just to have much better service and it is 170 miles one way...
Old 09-23-2016, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Breath in and breath out. I'm sorry for your problems. At least they didn't stab your radiator with a screwdriver and try to charge you $2000 for the courtesy of replacing it.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

We don't know that yet

The car is supposedly on it's way here.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
Tell me about it. But the next closest dealer is 400 miles away.

Also an update. I called them just now (because why would they call me?) and they are still not done with the car. I will not be surprised at all if I don't see the car until next week. Or maybe the week after that. Also as they promised to call me back in an hour I will likely have to call them in a couple of hours only to find out that whoever I need to speak to has gone home for the day.

P.S.
Sorry for the long rambling post. I certainly feel a little better after typing all that out.
Hey dont worry thats why you come to the forums to discus and voice concerns etc. I feel you and its very unacceptable to have all this issues from the dealer you are working with and its very frustrating. I have a 2012 Audi A8L with 110k miles and my local Audi dealership is the best and they always follow through. I had to take my car back 5 times after getting vibration in the chassis around 70-75 mph at 50k miles few years ago that was not tire related but high frequency like and it didnt change with speed above 70 mph and my dealer worked with me and test drove car and got regional representative to come and they diagnosed bad driveshaft so we had it replaced under warranty and its all been good. I really hope all of this gets resolved soon.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Car has been delivered. It appears they did decent job cleaning the grease off the paint but the wheel needs some more work. Even more important there are no error codes and everything is working properly. I'm so happy to have her back! The dealership has promised to do something to "make it right" with me for all my trouble. I'm going to hold off on making serious complaints with AoA until I find out what they are going to do for me.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Paragraphs are your friend. Somewhere an English teacher read this and committed suicide

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Continuing Saga of Failure