A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Leak Through Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Back again after some time, I think the problem is that the plug is sealed to the wires so that a leak from the valve is forced down the copper cable strands, if you use an extender cable that is sealed you could have the same problem. My car will be in the shop soon and I will get them to check again but I will try and think of a solution to this.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:55 PM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by synchrocnc
Back again after some time, I think the problem is that the plug is sealed to the wires so that a leak from the valve is forced down the copper cable strands, if you use an extender cable that is sealed you could have the same problem. My car will be in the shop soon and I will get them to check again but I will try and think of a solution to this.
I was thinking that too and maybe the answer is to "damage" the extension cord slightly. You would then get a small coolant drip if the valves started to leak. The extension cable would not last as long but I assume they would be fine for 3 yrs or so without a leak at which point one could check and change them again.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kkirkg
I have a 2011 A8 with 35k miles. Last week the check engine light came on the the car shut down. I had it towed to my dealer and the diagnosis was that a coolant valve had failed causing the coolant to leach through(inside the wire itself)the wiring and shorted out the ECU. A friend who had an independent repair shop told me this was a 'known issue' as the coolant valve was prone to failing.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening before?
Had that happen on my 2012 at 92K miles. Wasn't a fun fix.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Have my 8 in for a fix on the loose bass speaker in the rear deck and the gearbox malfunction warning after about 6 times and just heard from the dealer my valve has pressurized the wiring harness too!

Good thing at least the valve and harness is under CPO warranty yet.

I sure hope this will be the last of the teething problems this 8 gives me!
Old 11-30-2015, 11:17 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KnappAttack
Have my 8 in for a fix on the loose bass speaker in the rear deck and the gearbox malfunction warning after about 6 times and just heard from the dealer my valve has pressurized the wiring harness too!

Good thing at least the valve and harness is under CPO warranty yet.

I sure hope this will be the last of the teething problems this 8 gives me!
In the overall scheme of things its good you caught it before you got stranded someplace bad and still under warranty.

Seems this is happening more often then not so I will dive in (or under) and check mine myself, just need a way to get the car off the ground a bit and figure out were the valves are!
Old 12-02-2015, 11:20 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Diving in and under I think I've found all connectors, not that difficult and they are all coolant free for now. Having seen how it looks the extension idea with a slight damage to the cable insulation on the extension will probably work. If anyone can point to how to find or make the extensions I will try it out and report back? Adding the extensions are a 30 min job.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After doing some research I think the connectors to make a lead for the 4H0121670 valve might be 8K0973702A and 6X0973802A but I don't know yet if they come with the pins etc. I think mine has another valve too which is 4H0121671B and the connectors are different for that one (1J0973702 / 1J0973802) and available from Ebay.

According to the Partsbase diagrams these are fitted according to engine type but best to check first.

4.2 petrol, 4.0 petrol and 4.2 TDI could have both 4H0121671B and 4H0121670

2.5 petrol, 3.0 petrol and 3.0 TDI seem to have only 4H0121671B

Last edited by synchrocnc; 12-02-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Second Time Around!!

Originally Posted by Kkirkg
I have a 2011 A8 with 35k miles. Last week the check engine light came on the the car shut down. I had it towed to my dealer and the diagnosis was that a coolant valve had failed causing the coolant to leach through(inside the wire itself)the wiring and shorted out the ECU. A friend who had an independent repair shop told me this was a 'known issue' as the coolant valve was prone to failing.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening before?
I'm taking my 2011 A8 70k in for the second time in THREE MONTHS. First time it happen car cut off, able to restart and get home. Car towed to dealer, ECM needed to be replaced, do to COOLANT
RUNNING DOWN HARNESS. Second time, notice COOLANT LOST below min level.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:15 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Audifastdaddy
I'm taking my 2011 A8 70k in for the second time in THREE MONTHS. First time it happen car cut off, able to restart and get home. Car towed to dealer, ECM needed to be replaced, do to COOLANT
RUNNING DOWN HARNESS. Second time, notice COOLANT LOST below min level.
Did they change the valves the last time? I think there are 3 that could leak.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

IMO these valves are a total waste of time. Just run a trans cooler and forget it. The problem now is all the fail safe electrical crap is going to throw codes if you try and modify all these valves and override them.

I don't care that my mileage is down a smidge in the cold weather prior to the trans warming up to a warmer temp.

This gives me a severe uneasy feeling on keeping this car. Although I love the vehicle when it works properly, whats going to happen when my CPO is up in 25,000 miles? I'll then be on my own. I can already see that this 8 is not going to be nearly as reliable as my old 05 A6 w/4.2 was. Might be time to go Lexus or Acura or something which really sucks.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak Through Wiring Harness