A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Leak Through Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 06:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coolant is routed through the transmission to reduce the time it takes to reach operating temperature, as well as presumably cooling it under demanding conditions, such as a track day.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

2012 A6, 60K miles. Coolant valve failed; wiring harness affected as well; quote $12,000. That extended warranty would be really helpful now I think
Old 03-11-2016, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by tracy@nwliving.com
2012 A6, 60K miles. Coolant valve failed; wiring harness affected as well; quote $12,000. That extended warranty would be really helpful now I think
Who quoted you $12K for that repair? What parts are they replacing and at what cost per?...and what's the labor charge? Sounds a ton ludicrous IMO.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Who quoted you $12K for that repair? What parts are they replacing and at what cost per?...and what's the labor charge? Sounds a ton ludicrous IMO.
Right?!?!?!?! Transmission Wire Harness and Metronics Control Module replacement; replacement requires removal of engine and transmission; mostly labor. We plan to check bid price. The local Audi shop said they had seen the issue about 4 times. Audi in Michigan said that dealer shops have additional funds that may be contributed to this type of repair as it is quite high. I really should have pursued an extension of the extended warranty
Old 04-29-2016, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Coolant valve leak

Just had this problem fixed $9200. Contacted Audi customer care. They stated out of warranty problem. Car has 60,000 miles. Seems to be serious safety issue as a result of design flaw or defective part. I wonder how many incidents it will take to invoke a recall. Any one been in contact with Audi?
Old 04-30-2016, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by KnappAttack
Picked my 8 up from the dealer yesterday, they tell me that there are three valves on the 8 that are prone to pressurizing the wiring harness and forcing anti-freeze into control modules, ecu's and different areas. The fluid is pressurized thru the wire itself. The problem is the valve itself. To prevent fluid transfer you would need to open up the wire insulation in the low point, and if you open the insulation you now introduce a place for corrosion to eat the wire away.

As much as I hate to say it, I don't think a sealed pigtail is going to help. The whole problem is these three valves that are being used.

The dealer had a 8 in before mine that took out the ECU and harness and said the bill was $8000.

Mine leaked into the HVAC module I guess and took it out and sent codes, funny thing is I never knew it, it did not show a engine light or anything. I only took it in because the back subwoofer was rattling and sounded like crap. Of course the speaker was not under the CPO warranty and they wanted $1650 to replace the speaker.

I WANT MY OLD 2005 A6 W/4.2 BACK! Never had problems like this with it! This 8 has already had more problems in 70,000 miles than my old 6 did in 200,000 miles!!
I am experiencing the same issue all of a sudden with my front left speaker rattling and sounding like crap. I have an appointment to take my car in next week to check it out. I have 65k on my 2011 A8L. Are you sure that audio systems are not covered under the CPO warranty? As to the coolant valve issues, I find it odd that they found it leaking into your HVAC module without throwing out any codes.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This sounds similar to the Ford truck sensor failures. Is there any reported random car fires in this car?
Old 05-01-2016, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This should be a recall item; I consider this a catastrophic failure as a result of a design flaw. Reading through a few blogs this is not a unique failure.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tracy@nwliving.com
This should be a recall item; I consider this a catastrophic failure as a result of a design flaw. Reading through a few blogs this is not a unique failure.
As someone that has had two of the three valves replaced to a tune of 6K already, can't wait till the next one blows.
2012 A8l 4.2 with 116K miles.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Has anyone filed a claim with NHTSA regarding this issue. Sure sounds like a design defect carrying some potential for vehicle safety concerns. Sure wouldn't want this happening with the car shutting down at highway speeds.

Last edited by derfA8L; 05-02-2016 at 06:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak Through Wiring Harness