A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPO Requirements

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So, I got the parts from Meadowlands Audi (I mention, because I believe they're a sponsor). They're local enough for me to go in person, and Jeremy at the parts counter was very helpful and friendly.

I've now done every part of the service except the pollen filter and the brake fluid flush. All in all it's pretty easy. It's amazing how thoughtful the engineers are when it comes to servicing.

This was my first experience with a fluid extractor and filter cartridge for the oil change. I'm never going back

I went for the OEM NGK plugs. The old ones looked quite used! The coil packs took a considerable amount of force to remove - and I was surprised at how the torque spec felt installing the plugs, considering how easy the old ones were to remove.

The only issue I have is that the car always thinks I've got the hood open now. My temporary fix was to unplug it. I must have jostled something when I was working on the air filter on the left side - but I can't figure what.

The engine idles smoother and, maybe it's my imagination, but also seems a little more responsive than it was. I don't remember my other Audi's changing character after scheduled maintenance - but, I haven't had a non-turbo in many years.

I give the procedure a 3 on a 1-10 scale. Anyone who wants to save $1k should seriously consider doing the 50k mile service themselves!
Old 04-26-2016, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ppinto1
So, I got the parts from Meadowlands Audi (I mention, because I believe they're a sponsor). They're local enough for me to go in person, and Jeremy at the parts counter was very helpful and friendly.

I've now done every part of the service except the pollen filter and the brake fluid flush. All in all it's pretty easy. It's amazing how thoughtful the engineers are when it comes to servicing.

This was my first experience with a fluid extractor and filter cartridge for the oil change. I'm never going back

I went for the OEM NGK plugs. The old ones looked quite used! The coil packs took a considerable amount of force to remove - and I was surprised at how the torque spec felt installing the plugs, considering how easy the old ones were to remove.

The only issue I have is that the car always thinks I've got the hood open now. My temporary fix was to unplug it. I must have jostled something when I was working on the air filter on the left side - but I can't figure what.

The engine idles smoother and, maybe it's my imagination, but also seems a little more responsive than it was. I don't remember my other Audi's changing character after scheduled maintenance - but, I haven't had a non-turbo in many years.

I give the procedure a 3 on a 1-10 scale. Anyone who wants to save $1k should seriously consider doing the 50k mile service themselves!
Well done, it really is a straightforward service. I was worried about having the appropriate records when I sold the car, so I had the dealer do it. I enjoyed having to loaners to test out other Audis, as well. Occasionally, I had the hood problem you mentioned, mine was solved by shutting the hood firmly with both hands over top of both latches. It's easy to not close one of the two tight enough but still appear shut. I know it seems an obvious suggestion, but it's still worth mentioning.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:09 PM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ppinto1

Pete,

Thank you for the kind words! It is much appreciated. Im glad to see you had an enjoyable time working with your car. Im sorry to hear about this hood problem. There are 2 latches for your hood on the A8. I would first double check (as silly as it sounds) that the hood IS completely closed. If sure, go in and look at the hood latches themselves (to the left and right of the top of the grille) Make sure the micro switch cables are plugged in and have a clean connection. Not jumping to any conclusions, but a guess could be that the micro switch went bad? Give me a call if you have any questions. Im here until 6pm.

Thanks again!