A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaking suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

My 2013 S6 has this issue.

Whenever I start the car in the morning and drive out of my driveway, the transition from my driveway to the street causes the "whoop" noise in the suspension. It happens only once per day, in the morning when the car is cold. Once the car warms up, no more noise.

I've always noticed the issue, but never considered it a problem. I always assumed it has something to do with the air suspension being cold.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is It Worth Repairing?

I have a 2011 and have the same issue. I really wonder if it is worth repairing as it make the noise for about 5 - 10 minutes in the morning. I can live with it. . . . . . ON the other hand is this an issue that will lead to a more expensive repair later???? I'm still under warranty.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by Kkirkg
I have a 2011 and have the same issue. I really wonder if it is worth repairing as it make the noise for about 5 - 10 minutes in the morning. I can live with it. . . . . . ON the other hand is this an issue that will lead to a more expensive repair later???? I'm still under warranty.
If it's creaking in the suspension, then I'd have it looked at; the "whoop" sound that goes away in a few minutes is not an issue ---at least according to Audi. Having said that, I'd still have the dealer assess the "whoop" sound and get it on your car's service record in the event that it does become a repair issue that Audi reverses itself on. That way you'd be covered if an out of warranty repair on this surfaces.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks . . . excellent point! BTW, it's the "whooping" sound.

Last edited by Kkirkg; 08-08-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
If it's creaking in the suspension, then I'd have it looked at; the "whoop" sound that goes away in a few minutes is not an issue ---at least according to Audi. Having said that, I'd still have the dealer assess the "whoop" sound and get it on your car's service record in the event that it does become a repair issue that Audi reverses itself on. That way you'd be covered if an out of warranty repair on this surfaces.
I concur 100%
Old 09-25-2014, 10:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Harmonic front strut/tire noise

Please read my thread. I believe there might be a correlation between our suspension noises...

My a8l with 20's on certain road sufaces hums and makes a hollow "donk" like noise. This is not when the suspension is cold however.

If someone did have success replacing strut parts please do share what was done!!!
Old 11-28-2014, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by jakematic
I concur 100%
Here is the TSB my service advisor handed me after I took my car in for the squeaky suspension noise. I will be taking it again as that noise is constant over speed bumps and road irregularities.
Attached Images   
Old 11-28-2014, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had posted some info here:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...2833493/page5/

It's been a couple months since the suspension components were replaced, and after allowing enough driving time for the suspension to settle, this is nearly gone!

We still hear it once in a while, along dips in the road surface, but hardly what it was before.

Our dealer went above and beyond, as did Audi corporate - sending someone directly to our house - and then approved replacement for most of the shock/related components. We are grateful for that.

Hopefully Audi engineering will eventually figure this out. The BS in the note above about 'operating to design' is just that - BS. An excuse. It should NOT make this noise at all.

Good luck with it.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
I had posted some info here:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...2833493/page5/

It's been a couple months since the suspension components were replaced, and after allowing enough driving time for the suspension to settle, this is nearly gone!

We still hear it once in a while, along dips in the road surface, but hardly what it was before.

Our dealer went above and beyond, as did Audi corporate - sending someone directly to our house - and then approved replacement for most of the shock/related components. We are grateful for that.

Hopefully Audi engineering will eventually figure this out. The BS in the note above about 'operating to design' is just that - BS. An excuse. It should NOT make this noise at all.

Good luck with it.
Is the noise you were hearing similar to the one in the attached video?
Attached Files
File Type: zip
IMG_2298.MOV.zip (2.20 MB, 161 views)
Old 01-06-2015, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Totally agree with your statement about the BS "operating to design"
I will be taking my car back to the dealer as I am tired of hearing the noise. Do you have a copy of the invoice from the dealer that lists all the parts they replaced. Can you post it if you do? Thanks...

Quick Reply: Creaking suspension?