A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D4 A8 reliability -- let's get better information

Old 01-20-2011, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D4 A8 reliability -- let's get better information

I wanted less vague, more up-to-date car reliability information. So in 2005 I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now updates actual repair frequencies, not just dots, four times a year, to report on new models sooner and track cars closely as they age.

Thanks to the help of JET and this forum, for which I'm very grateful, we've had excellent participation by Audi owners. I'd like to cover the D4 A8 -- just a matter of getting enough people involved.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the A8, for free. I'll share results in this thread when we have them.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Car reliability research
Old 04-05-2011, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Three years of the D3 are now in the survey. Would love to also be able to report on the D4.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sorry, got busy with the site and stopped participating in forums for a while. We have very good participation by owners of the latest A6 and A7, but still not enough for the current A8. We'd love to cover it.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Recently updated stats for the D3 and many other Audis. The 2011 is now about one-third of the way.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used that site for my fedback. All I will say is I have had quite a few issues with my AUDis. I sometimes wonder how honest people truly are when it comes to reliability in their cars, not just with AUDI but with any of their cars.

One thing I have discovered after owning a few american, several lexus or Toyotas and a few german cars. JD Powers is pretty accurate

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 05-03-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Many people have a tendency to only report problems when they're upset about them. The way some other surveys are structured reinforces this tendency, leading to inaccurate results.

We do as much as we can to get members to report all repairs, even minor ones.

J.D. Power is also pretty good at this, but their methods can inflate the problem counts by equating with things people don't like about the car with repairable problems. They also only gather data on the first 90 days of ownership and the third year. We cover up to 15 model years.

With the D8, the 2011 is now one-third of the way to the minimum. More recent years aren't as close. So we still have a way to go before we can include these cars in the survey.

www.truedelta.com/join
Old 11-04-2013, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

We've updated stats for older A8s. Total of 200 now signed up, but most of these are D3s.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just signed up. I have the '12 A8L. Not sure about how things work on this site but I have my records that date back to July since I bought the car used. Just need to know what needs to be added and where.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for signing up. Our focus is on a quarterly survey for the reliability stats, but the 2012 A8 won't be included in that one until more are signed up. Once this happens, you'll receive emails with links that automatically log you into the survey.

For people who want to report old repairs or on cars not included in the main survey, we also have a separate repair history form. Look for it in the menus in My Garage on the TrueDelta site.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would it be possible to keep track of everything on the site until there are enogh people taking part?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: D4 A8 reliability -- let's get better information