A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D5 camouflauged Prototypes caught making their first test "street" runs...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by OhNoMrBill
The pics you posted would be very nice. However, the pics in the link with black and white artwork is not that shape. It looks like they are doing more refresh like the A6 instead. The roof line is not any different than today's shape. The pic above is must more compressed in the rear roof lines.

I would be a buyer of the above car.
The visuals are open to subjective interpretation. The Auto Bild pics could be photoshop versions, but to my eye, they still reflect the traditional A8 roofline, with little significant variance from the current D4. The Prologue Concept is after all a coupe and it would be no surprise to most that Audi would keep close to the basic D3/D4 sedan roof silhouette, when stretching the concept's coupe lines. Also haven't seen much significant roof silhouette change from the 7-series and 550S competition either. I had no doubt that the Prologue's compressed height would not make it to regular production, nor is such a reduced ride height evident for direct A8 competitors either---after all, too little suspension flex equates to too much compromise of ride quality for a flagship luxo sedan.

The camo covering does a good job in fooling the eye, so there isn't a definitively clear picture of the car itself, however, I do think that the Auto Bild images do in fact closely resemble what's under the camouflauge in the spy shots...And I think some will be disappointed in the D5's "evolutionary" rather than "revolutionary" design compared to the D4...Its just not what Audi does---They save revolutionary change for what goes on inside the cabin and under the car's skin.

Last edited by derfA8L; 05-19-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Hopefully they bring back the trunk space from the D3 in the D5. If not at the very least offer a rear folding seat option. That and bring back the full size spare.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by Audis or VWs 4Life
Hopefully they bring back the trunk space from the D3 in the D5. If not at the very least offer a rear folding seat option. That and bring back the full size spare.
Think they learned their lesson on the trunk sizing issue---facelifted D4 trunk adjustment helped in that regard. I doubt you'll ever see a full size spare tire in a D-class Audi for some time to come...Too much weight to offset elsewhere on the car and impacts the fleet's fuel economy quota, not at least until we see more electric and hydrogen powered cars in the Audi fleet.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Audis or VWs 4Life
As derf said, Aud learned their lesson on trunk. It was somewhat mitigated with the facelift. Meantime the rear interior space designer is now enjoying his time designing SEAT's for the Siberian market. As derf said, full size spare is also more pork, plus costs trunk (or gas) space. It is about 20 pounds of weight from a full size to a donut, though since Audi cheaps out on steel donuts, somewhat less. Technically they also used the some of the same general rear space for the AdBlue tank. Notice that blank hole molded into the rubber now inside the overly large fuel door; some of the "world" car design now commonly seen.

No chance it will have folding rear seats like an A6 for example--which I liked from owning the C5 where they first did it on the C bodies. There is no Avant (wagon) or hatch type set up like an A4/5/6/7 where you need the body flexibility. More importantly, you need the rear solid bulkhead structually for the D series all aluminum body. Audi has stated that engineering wise. Too much flex and twist otherwise. And B pillar is already steel; about the only meaningful body part that is.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-20-2016 at 03:54 PM.