A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deciding on A8

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cleex024
Anyone with an s8 or s7 feel like maybe you should have gone up to the a8l for the extra rear space?
I have an s8 and prefer the short wheel base, the front is plenty roomy and back has enough leg room for most passengers, if I was limo driven in back seat I might care. I'll take better handling of shorter wheel base and a touch easier to deal with. As an aside, I always turn off the lane assist features on all my cars, don't care for the intrusion into my diving, have it on my 2011 Mercedes e550 and on my 2016 s8. Sounds like you like the driving assistance features which may be better away from Audi, I don't even like their blind side detection software, I find it too sensitive. With the Audi you get a great driving car, well made, reasonably reliable, gorgeous interior, with the s8 a super car performance wise, great handling for the size. The technology is not the best and showing its age. Driving wise it kills the the Mercedes s class for reference, imo. If the technology is a priority for you and the attributes I mentioned come in second, look elsewhere or wait for newer models. Regards. Ned.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngerstman
I have an s8 and prefer the short wheel base, the front is plenty roomy and back has enough leg room for most passengers, if I was limo driven in back seat I might care. I'll take better handling of shorter wheel base and a touch easier to deal with. As an aside, I always turn off the lane assist features on all my cars, don't care for the intrusion into my diving, have it on my 2011 Mercedes e550 and on my 2016 s8. Sounds like you like the driving assistance features which may be better away from Audi, I don't even like their blind side detection software, I find it too sensitive. With the Audi you get a great driving car, well made, reasonably reliable, gorgeous interior, with the s8 a super car performance wise, great handling for the size. The technology is not the best and showing its age. Driving wise it kills the the Mercedes s class for reference, imo. If the technology is a priority for you and the attributes I mentioned come in second, look elsewhere or wait for newer models. Regards. Ned.
Wow well that's a bummer...the a8 just drove so well and as much as I love to drive hard, o just drive too much highway and long distance to not have all the drivers assistance work well.

My biggest options i need are the acc and lka...as long as the lka keeps me more in the middle of the lane and can take some aggressive highest turns then I'm sold on the car...however when I test drive one today it seemed to do ok on the left side however when the car would cross the lines on the right before correcting which sort of sucked....very similar to what happens in my genesis.

Then while test driving the a8i saw the naro? Gray rs7 and holy shot I almost bought that lol...really love the option of the hatchback as folding rear seats...car believe the a8 seats don't fold down.

May have to just go with the genesis g90 lol
Old 02-27-2017, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wow well that's a bummer...the a8 just drove so well and as much as I love to drive hard, o just drive too much highway and long distance to not have all the drivers assistance work well.

My biggest options i need are the acc and lka...as long as the lka keeps me more in the middle of the lane and can take some aggressive highest turns then I'm sold on the car...however when I test drive one today it seemed to do ok on the left side however when the car would cross the lines on the right before correcting which sort of sucked....very similar to what happens in my genesis.

Then while test driving the a8i saw the naro? Gray rs7 and holy shot I almost bought that lol...really love the option of the hatchback as folding rear seats...car believe the a8 seats don't fold down.

May have to just go with the genesis g90 lol
I would point out that other than the blind spot detection feature, I have no real experience with the two features that you mention are important to you, I just have no interest in using them. I used Lane assist in my Mercedes for years before finally saying to myself, why is this on, I hate it! You may find those features acceptable. Regards. Ned.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Yes. Since I have S8, my only doubt would be should I have held off for S8 Plus. Sure I know D5 is coming,and did when I bought a year ago. As I roughly knew for D3. But I expect with this one to be happy for years into D5 if I want, as I was holding really nice upper end D3 for ⅔ or 75% of D4 model life before I bought in to this genaration. But having bought late model CPO in both cases I knew a lot of bugs ironed out, that it was no slouch, price already pulled down some, and really good warranty. But there is always some new shiny object next week or month or year, and gotta get into pool sometime. Long time Audi owner for many models per my sig., so maybe not best validator. But I was not disappointed.

Your various tech questions are also honestly probably going down a pigeon hole (while unintended) that masks where it shines. But BTW, having owned a D3 for 9 years and 100K miles until last year, frankly 90% of tech was still "good enough" and likewise not why I held it so long..which fits with balance of this paragraph for D4. For any given motor and expected performance, the D4 will put a major smile on face. First day, first week, second year, long time. I'll say that with S8, but read board and the 3.0T guys for that matter say it quite consistently these days too. And its not a huge secret the 4.0T performance numbers (A8 4.0T, as well as S8) are meaningfully sandbagged compared to oft reality, still bone stock. Mine in straight line is way up there with higher performance/equipped Porsche's, Vettes and such, and will kick any SUV's *** of basically any nameplate or $$ or $$$ whether straight line or oft 20 miles an hour faster into the first bend when they go white knuckle and look of terror. If you want removed from road plush mobile and latest toys of all types, not it. But great looking interior, especially in the special ones, yep, check. Now very good reliability wise for the luxo rides. Meantime, we have some if not many posts of more recent refugees or dissatisfied owners leaving other brands like a big BMW with serious motor issues let alone smaller stuff, or Merc's as they age a bit. That reliability issue was the Audi knock ten (and thirty) years ago, but not these days. Or, the Lexus critiques--road feel non existent like driving your Barcalounger and invariably as boring as a Maytag. Oh, and it will kick any bigger Hyundai's butt if same general group (entry, mid, high equipped)--as it should. As a few have found out...and lotsa others. Lots of times I just shake my head, wondering what are they thinking or too much test. or too many "professional driver only" commercials with pretend animation went to their heads. They don't get long..to try to read the trunk lid...either.
were you able to test to see if that programming of the lka is any better with the setting set at correct sooner?
Old 02-27-2017, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Anyone with an s8 or s7 feel like maybe you should have gone up to the a8l for the extra rear space?
...I moved on from it--the W12. A8 L great for situations with four or even five passengers of adult size. Luxurious. A very long car though in the everyday world when you go to park it, garage or city streets or any tighter parking lots. Really depends on your needs and preferences. As an empty nester now, back mostly empty too.

And,

well then without any buyer's shopping lane assist, you're honestly all over the proverbial road with what you are looking at as far as passenger practicality. The RS7 is nice and all, but has a seriously compromised back seat. 4 only to start, but get back there sometime if you are six feet, and first set the front seat for your size. Kids only. Not big and tall ones either. S6 is not nearly as compromised. SWB A8/S8 has way more space---leg room, headroom, shoulder, everything--than RS7, and also noticeable over A6/S6. If you want the style fine, though I find it awkward from a variety of angles in the back. S8 is the motor equal pretty much of RS7, whether earlier std. or later Plus/Performance. S8 specs are just more sandbagged on paper.

A8/S8 seats don't fold down--and likely never will--because they need the metal behind the seat as a structural bulkhead brace. Beefs up the rigidity a lot. Welcome to all aluminum. Having owned an A6 4.2 (older genaration, but A6/S6 is same floor pan used for A/S/RS7, now all C7's), yep agreed nice flexibility with the folding seats. But as it got old, the body got flexy with the miles. You could sense and hear it going over things like gutters at street intersections at an angle, or driveway exits that put the diagonals on very different height levels where the suspension had to soak it up. It's not "free" or some cost savings thing design wise.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-27-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
...I moved on from it--the W12. A8 L great for situations with four or even five passengers of adult size. Luxurious. A very long car though in the everyday world when you go to park it, garage or city streets or any tighter parking lots. Really depends on your needs and preferences. As an empty nester now, back mostly empty too.

And,

well then without any buyer's shopping lane assist, you're honestly all over the proverbial road with what you are looking at as far as passenger practicality. The RS7 is nice and all, but has a seriously compromised back seat. 4 only to start, but get back there sometime if you are six feet, and first set the front seat for your size. Kids only. Not big and tall ones either. S6 is not nearly as compromised. SWB A8/S8 has way more space---leg room, headroom, shoulder, everything--than RS7, and also noticeable over A6/S6. If you want the style fine, though I find it awkward from a variety of angles in the back. S8 is the motor equal pretty much of RS7, whether earlier std. or later Plus/Performance. S8 specs are just more sandbagged on paper.

A8/S8 seats don't fold down--and likely never will--because they need the metal behind the seat as a structural bulkhead brace. Beefs up the rigidity a lot. Welcome to all aluminum. Having owned an A6 4.2 (older genaration, but A6/S6 is same floor pan used for A/S/RS7, now all C7's), yep agreed nice flexibility with the folding seats. But as it got old, the body got flexy with the miles. You could sense and hear it going over things like gutters at street intersections at an angle, or driveway exits that put the diagonals on very different height levels where the suspension had to soak it up. It's not "free" or some cost savings thing design wise.
I was just saying the nardo gray was an awesome color with the blacked out scheme....and I need the space for not only kids and people but also long bulky items occasionally.

I am in the supermarket business and when i go to auctions i need space sometimes...just would be helpful and why the rs7 hatchback style and fold down seats could come in handy....but you are right that the rear looks pretty ugly.

also before i test drive any audis the car i originally planned on buying was the porsche panamera 2017 when it comes out but now that i see the comfort and less cost of the a8 is what drew me to it. But seriously those seats not folding down sucks.

Did you buy yours new or used? Because I've been looking for that Vermont leather package and its hard as hell to find.

And were you able to test the lane keep assist after you programmed it?
Old 02-28-2017, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I am also not a fan of lane keep assist. Living the northeast there a tons of potholes and often I want to cross into a lane a bit to avoid hitting the hole. It's not fun to have the car fight you over this.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
I am also not a fan of lane keep assist. Living the northeast there a tons of potholes and often I want to cross into a lane a bit to avoid hitting the hole. It's not fun to have the car fight you over this.
yeah it could be annoying for that i suppose, but again I drive long distance very often 100+ mile trips a couple times a week. so its nice to have for those long trips where i can relax a bit while cruising.

also ive been looking at how to code for the early correction on lka and cant seem to find it...anyone have a link to this? wonder if we could code the traffic jam assist into lka...that would be awesome.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would be careful about all these automated system in general. In my opinion, drivers will become more reliant on them and hence pay less attention while driving. If someone is not a particularly good driver I can see it being a benefit but if one is a good defensive driver these automated system will actually promote the opposite. It is what I experienced having a Subaru with the Eyesight system. You don't really realize it until you start driving another vehicle without it. Driving safely and keeping your attention on the road is a far better practice vs becoming reliant on automated safety features that are far from foolproof.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
I would be careful about all these automated system in general. In my opinion, drivers will become more reliant on them and hence pay less attention while driving. If someone is not a particularly good driver I can see it being a benefit but if one is a good defensive driver these automated system will actually promote the opposite. It is what I experienced having a Subaru with the Eyesight system. You don't really realize it until you start driving another vehicle without it. Driving safely and keeping your attention on the road is a far better practice vs becoming reliant on automated safety features that are far from foolproof.
of course but when you are driving 5 hours each way sometimes you just dont feel like putting 100% effort into...I mean I used to own a bunch of little sports cars and ran them at the tracks often enough so I do like to drive...however on longer trips I just dont want to always be that focused.

its probably not the best decision however its not like i dont pay attention at all...either way with my genesis i have not even been close to getting in an accident whether i pay full attention or not...if anything its prevented a few. I would much rather have these features than not...also if i have them then i want them to work correctly and best as possible.

but again does anyone know or have the link to code the lka for early correction?

Quick Reply: Deciding on A8