A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deciding on A8

Old 02-26-2017, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Deciding on A8

Hey guys...new to the forums and just wanted to ask you guys for your opinions. I am in the market for a new large car that has drivers assist package and have been really looking at the porsche panamara, however seeing the new ones arent really any bigger I went to check out the A8. I have to say I never even considered audi as my new car, but wow the car drives so well and comfortable.

I have a few questions that hopefully someone here has some experience to. First how well does the adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist work? I am coming from a 2016 Hyundai Genesis that has those features and while the adaptive cruise control works well the lane keep assist could use a little work. The lka in the Genesis can make pretty sharp highway curves, but it is all over road and always crosses the line before making corrections when driving in the left hand lane. I would have to say though it is nice having the lka make such sharp turns on even local roads as my dads 2016 s600 maybach doesnt even make those turns.

Also what do you guys think about an a8 white with nougat brown interior with gray alcantara headlining? I think I found a decent one used, but im afraid I am not going to like that color. I used to have an m3 with cinnamon nappa leather and seeing if it is maybe close to that color even though looks like nougat is more of a brown color and darker.

Does anyone have any gripes on the A8? Should I maybe just wait for the 2018 redesign A8? Would hate for me to buy this and then want the new 2018 lol.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Short version: adaptive works well. Quite well. Had in D3 too; solid then and now 10 years running experience to fine tune even more--twin sensors, etc. Probably as good as Panamera but no side by side experience.

Lane keeping: not ready for prime time. Sounds like your Hyundai experience. Corrects only late. If you let go of wheel it basically slowly ping pongs from one side of lane to other--like gutter bumpers in bowling for kids. Probably would look like a drunk from behind. Function is likely more if you are driving a long drive, not spirited, minding own business, and just want another system to help if you get momentarily drowsy. I actually plan another mod post on this system to tweak the controls some--newest Q7 has a newer design that intervenes earlier so car keeps closer to center. Can be modded on D4 (as in, my 2015 S8), but it is not going to turn it into anything semiautonomous let alone maybe even where newest Q7 (or maybe newest Panamera?) now is.

Your A8 combo is very close to mine on inside. I have the Vermont Brown Exclusive interior for the S8; also has (deep) gray alcantara and lighter black/very dark gray leather surfaces (dash, doors, etc.) Vermont brown is a little redder than nougat, but I think its nice, esp. if you tire on the 90% of A8's that are black interior and one of about two or three boring "corp" look typical Euro these days--black, silver or grey. I actually thought about white, which makes some of the other car trim stand out a lot more in nice contrasts--the various front grills and other things.

If possible, right now I would tend to buy late model CPO on a D4. And I did... If you are looking at new otherwise, go to 2015-7 as used. Post the last facelift (2015), and basically any of the current options save a few smoke trim things pretty much. Let someone else already have taken a 10-35% depreciation bath, which will be another 20% when redesign is out. I bet there will be a short run of D4 U.S. 2018's BTW, so a guess is D5's are more like a year off and then called 2019's here. Or said another way, for late CPO, you can get a 4.0T CPO for new 3.0T money, or an S8 for 4.0T money. W/ CPO warranty will likely take you out about as far as brand new 4/50 would have anyway.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-26-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah my dilemma is that i have found a 2016 white with black interior new with drivers assist for $76k and a used 2016 white with nougat brown interior with drivers assist and rear seat comfort for $74k.

so for this a8 the lka doesn't stay close to the middle with some option? I thought I saw somewhere that you could have the lka be a little more aggressive like you are saying but without programming. And how does it do on curves on the highway? That's a big one for me...this genesis takes even aggressive curves on local roads.
​​​​​​
Old 02-26-2017, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by cleex024
Yeah my dilemma is that i have found a 2016 white with black interior new with drivers assist for $76k and a used 2016 white with nougat brown interior with drivers assist and rear seat comfort for $74k.

so for this a8 the lka doesn't stay close to the middle with some option? I thought I saw somewhere that you could have the lka be a little more aggressive like you are saying but without programming. And how does it do on curves on the highway? That's a big one for me...this genesis takes even aggressive curves on local roads.
​​​​​​
There is no setting for it, but now knowing what is buried in the programming, the D4 is set up only with what Audi calls "late." Means it will not correct until it gets near a lane line. Since I drive with some spirit often, I wouldn't use it myself except as I describe--as a back up on a long drive planted in a lane with ACC just set at std. speed limit. It also shows a warning and then disengages fairly quickly if it detects hand not on wheels. Only with some VCDS tweaking can you then choose "late" or earlier correction level, and then that becomes an MMI menu choice/setting. Earlier should place it more in center of lane and keep it there, but I don't have enough test time with it yet (with the modded settings enabled) to assess. I need to drive it solo to test out the margins more. So far I have had others in car on long drives with some action, where checking things can be more awkward. Again, if you want some quasi autonomous, I doubt it is going to be this set up. Yes on ACC, but not on lane control/steering. For Euros, that is going to be more the recently released new design ones with the higher end options, Merc S, new E, XC90 maybe, new Panamera (if you know that), Q7, maybe new BMW 7 (I don't know it), etc.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-26-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
There is no setting for it, but now knowing what is buried in the programming, the D4 is set up only with what Audi calls "late." Means it will not correct until it gets near a lane line. Since I drive with some spirit often, I wouldn't use it myself except as I describe--as a back up on a long drive planted in a lane with ACC just set at std. speed limit. It also shows a warning and then disengages fairly quickly if it detects hand not on wheels. Only with some VCDS tweaking can you then choose "late" or earlier correction level, and then that becomes an MMI menu choice/setting. Earlier should place it more in center of lane and keep it there, but I don't have enough test time with it yet (with the modded settings enabled) to assess. I need to drive it solo to test out the margins more. So far I have had others in car on long drives with some action, where checking things can be more awkward. Again, if you want some quasi autonomous, I doubt it is going to be this set up. Yes on ACC, but not on lane control/steering. For Euros, that is going to be more the recently released new design ones with the higher end options, Merc S, new E, XC90 maybe, new Panamera (if you know that), Q7, maybe new BMW 7 (I don't know it), etc.
So I'm not looking for autonomous driving...I drive a lot of highway miles and like the feature of lka and acc as it helps me relax while taking long trips. I just want to make sure that this thing can stay within the lanes and not cross them....and that programming to make it stay on the center sounds even better.

My dad's s600 maybach doesn't even stay in the center of the lane and works worse than my genesis lol...but of course the ride and everything else about the s600 is better. Also while you test can you see if it takes some curves that seem pretty sharp?

And how does the lka and acc turn on? Are they always on? Part of cc together or separate? Do I have to push the lka on everytime i want to use it? I ask because lka on my genesis is always on and separate from acc so it's on whether acc is on or not. I like this as it always helps me stay in the lane.

Oh and does this car work well with Bluetooth phone and audio for music, Google maps,etc?
Old 02-26-2017, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So I'm not looking for autonomous driving...I drive a lot of highway miles and like the feature of lka and acc as it helps me relax while taking long trips. I just want to make sure that this thing can stay within the lanes and not cross them....and that programming to make it stay on the center sounds even better.

My dad's s600 maybach doesn't even stay in the center of the lane and works worse than my genesis lol...but of course the ride and everything else about the s600 is better. Also while you test can you see if it takes some curves that seem pretty sharp?

And how does the lka and acc turn on? Are they always on? Part of cc together or separate? Do I have to push the lka on everytime i want to use it? I ask because lka on my genesis is always on and separate from acc so it's on whether acc is on or not. I like this as it always helps me stay in the lane.

Oh and does this car work well with Bluetooth phone and audio for music, Google maps,etc?
ACC switching is separate from lane assist switching, though near each other. ACC is its own left side stalk, while lane assist is a button at end of turn signal stalk switch. They could both linger in a ready state I guess though not how I use. From driving around getting laser zapped by a lot of Lexi and Infiniti's and some others (detector picks them up as that hit every 20 or 30 seconds), I'm surprised how many of these are left on, and I'm guessing at ACC ready point. One slip of finger and it can be off to the races unintentionally. Anyway, ACC can go down to zero and pick back up with a little signal like gas nudge, and runs from 20-95, while lane assist is only 40 and up. Both have decent visual indicators of status in inst. panel once you use system a bit. ACC granularity (other than first setting which is exact) is a 2 ½ mile step, so if you push to margin for LEO's like you want 3 or 4 or 8 or 9 over or some odd #, maybe different than some or every 2mph step, but not a biggie after you use it. If you want more info than this, go onto Audi USA site and look for owner's manual area. Have a valid VIN like off a dealer's used car and put it in. Then you can access full manuals on line.

Bluetooth phone good for me on this, past generation D3, and Q5. I'm not a fan of bluetooth music in any vehicle due to reduced fidelity if high quality recordings (which a lot don't really have if probed carefully). Plus that it can be set up for left behind phones on the seat, in crotch area not so cleverly hidden, etc. and then risk of theft. Also lesser interface than car set up has since car control of the bluetooth device is usually the current track and album but not easily the library or changing search approach. But if music bluetooth is a normal yardstick for you, then check the works fine box and presumably competitive. Maps and such fine, but full boot up of system is multi minute, and same for ability to enter address. No over the air or other periodic update concepts to maps themselves. Same delay on other Audis with the hard drive based system like our Q5. Haven't tried it really without the load time increment of Google map overlay, which might be less. Can be annoying if you want address in pronto on driving off to look at route choices that might be relevant in first couple minutes of driving. While there is a learning curve, voice input for addresses is decent and I am finally moving away from wheel and type it in. Response time is a little slower as it tries to decipher your speech, but usually pretty good unless the pronunciation of name is weird or you aren't sure of lane vs. street and such (better to just leave off...). With a specific address entered, I'm more comfortable car has exact destination along a street pinned down than wife or kid's phone if they are shotgun. From having wife look at typical other phone type apps vs the car traffic data, no clear winner some times on which is consistently best for routing and traffic delay info. Both make errors in traffic jam estimating. Sometimes near on scene, others definitely in the predictive nature at distances where as a local you know when you get there it won't be pretty (or opposite), but they are nonetheless routing you through that place that will predictably change by time you get to that area. Audi doesn't claim to have predictive on D4 type implementation, but some of the apps do and come up short at times. If its important and I have someone riding shotgun, sometimes compare both then decide with any local preexisting knowledge of traffic norms. Frankly coin toss still once you execute on the decision in built up mess traffic like SF Bay Area is now.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-26-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

ACC switching is separate from lane assist switching, though near each other. ACC is its own left side stalk, while lane assist is a button at end of turn signal stalk switch. They could both linger in a ready state I guess though not how I use. From driving around getting laser zapped by a lot of Lexi and Infiniti's and some others (detector picks them up as that hit every 20 or 30 seconds), I'm surprised how many of these are left on, and I'm guessing at ACC ready point. One slip of finger and it can be off to the races unintentionally. Anyway, ACC can go down to zero and pick back up with a little signal like gas nudge, and runs from 20-95, while lane assist is only 40 and up. Both have decent visual indicators of status in inst. panel once you use system a bit. ACC granularity (other than first setting which is exact) is a 2 ½ mile step, so if you push to margin for LEO's like you want 3 or 4 or 8 or 9 over or some odd #, maybe different than some or every 2mph step, but not a biggie after you use it. If you want more info than this, go onto Audi USA site and look for owner's manual area. Have a valid VIN like off a dealer's used car and put it in. Then you can access full manuals on line.

Bluetooth phone good for me on this, past generation D3, and Q5. I'm not a fan of bluetooth music in any vehicle due to reduced fidelity if high quality recordings (which a lot don't really have if probed carefully). Plus that it can be set up for left behind phones on the seat, in crotch area not so cleverly hidden, etc. and then risk of theft. Also lesser interface than car set up has since car control of the bluetooth device is usually the current track and album but not easily the library or changing search approach. But if music bluetooth is a normal yardstick for you, then check the works fine box and presumably competitive. Maps and such fine, but full boot up of system is multi minute, and same for ability to enter address. No over the air or other periodic update concepts to maps themselves. Same delay on other Audis with the hard drive based system like our Q5. Haven't tried it really without the load time increment of Google map overlay, which might be less. Can be annoying if you want address in pronto on driving off to look at route choices that might be relevant in first couple minutes of driving. While there is a learning curve, voice input for addresses is decent and I am finally moving away from wheel and type it in. Response time is a little slower as it tries to decipher your speech, but usually pretty good unless the pronunciation of name is weird or you aren't sure of lane vs. street and such (better to just leave off...). With a specific address entered, I'm more comfortable car has exact destination along a street pinned down than wife or kid's phone if they are shotgun. From having wife look at typical other phone type apps vs the car traffic data, no clear winner some times on which is consistently best for routing and traffic delay info. Both make errors in traffic jam estimating. Sometimes near on scene, others definitely in the predictive nature at distances where as a local you know when you get there it won't be pretty (or opposite), but they are nonetheless routing you through that place that will predictably change by time you get to that area. Audi doesn't claim to have predictive on D4 type implementation, but some of the apps do and come up short at times. If its important and I have someone riding shotgun, sometimes compare both then decide with any local preexisting knowledge of traffic norms. Frankly coin toss still once you execute on the decision in built up mess traffic like SF Bay Area is now.
I guess one last question...are you really happy with the car still? would you still pick that car over any others that you have seen lately?
Old 02-26-2017, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I guess one last question...are you really happy with the car still? would you still pick that car over any others that you have seen lately?
Yes. Since I have S8, my only doubt would be should I have held off for S8 Plus. Sure I know D5 is coming,and did when I bought a year ago. As I roughly knew for D3. But I expect with this one to be happy for years into D5 if I want, as I was holding really nice upper end D3 for ⅔ or 75% of D4 model life before I bought in to this genaration. But having bought late model CPO in both cases I knew a lot of bugs ironed out, that it was no slouch, price already pulled down some, and really good warranty. But there is always some new shiny object next week or month or year, and gotta get into pool sometime. Long time Audi owner for many models per my sig., so maybe not best validator. But I was not disappointed.

Your various tech questions are also honestly probably going down a pigeon hole (while unintended) that masks where it shines. But BTW, having owned a D3 for 9 years and 100K miles until last year, frankly 90% of tech was still "good enough" and likewise not why I held it so long..which fits with balance of this paragraph for D4. For any given motor and expected performance, the D4 will put a major smile on face. First day, first week, second year, long time. I'll say that with S8, but read board and the 3.0T guys for that matter say it quite consistently these days too. And its not a huge secret the 4.0T performance numbers (A8 4.0T, as well as S8) are meaningfully sandbagged compared to oft reality, still bone stock. Mine in straight line is way up there with higher performance/equipped Porsche's, Vettes and such, and will kick any SUV's *** of basically any nameplate or $$ or $$$ whether straight line or oft 20 miles an hour faster into the first bend when they go white knuckle and look of terror. If you want removed from road plush mobile and latest toys of all types, not it. But great looking interior, especially in the special ones, yep, check. Now very good reliability wise for the luxo rides. Meantime, we have some if not many posts of more recent refugees or dissatisfied owners leaving other brands like a big BMW with serious motor issues let alone smaller stuff, or Merc's as they age a bit. That reliability issue was the Audi knock ten (and thirty) years ago, but not these days. Or, the Lexus critiques--road feel non existent like driving your Barcalounger and invariably as boring as a Maytag. Oh, and it will kick any bigger Hyundai's butt if same general group (entry, mid, high equipped)--as it should. As a few have found out...and lotsa others. Lots of times I just shake my head, wondering what are they thinking or too much test. or too many "professional driver only" commercials with pretend animation went to their heads. They don't get long..to try to read the trunk lid...either.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-26-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes. Since I have S8, my only doubt would be should I have held off for S8 Plus. Sure I know D5 is coming (and did when I bought a year ago). As I roughly knew for D3. But I expect with this one to be happy for years int oD5 if I want, as I was holding really nice upper end D3 for ⅔ or 75% of D4 model life. But having bought late model CPO in both cases I knew a lot of bugs ironed out, that it was no slouch, price already pulled down some, and really good warranty. But there is always some new shiny object next week or month or year, and gotta get into pool sometime. Long time Audi owner for many models per my sig., so maybe not best validator. But I was not disappointed.

Your various tech questions are also honestly probably going down a pigeon hole (while unintended) that masks where it shines. But BTW, having owned a D3 for 9 years and 100K miles until last year, frankly 90% of tech was still "good enough" and likewise not why I held it so long..which fits with balance of this paragraph for D4. For any given motor and expected performance, the D4 will put a major smile on face. First day, first week, second year, long time. I'll say that with S8, but read board and the 3.0T guys for that matter say it quite consistently these days for that matter. And its not a huge secret the 4.0T performance numbers (A8 4.0T, as well as S8) are meaningfully sandbagged compared to oft reality, still bone stock. Mine in straight line is way up there with higher performance/equipped Porsche's, Vettes and such, and will kick any SUV's *** of basically any nameplate or $ whether straight line or oft 20 miles an hour faster into the first bend when they go white knuckle and look of terror. If you want removed from road plush mobile and latest toys of all types, not it. Now very good reliability wise for the luxo rides. Meantime, we have some if not many posts of more recent refugees or dissatisfied owners leaving other brands like a big BMW with serious motor issues let alone smaller stuff, or Merc's as they age a bit. That reliability issue was the Audi knock ten (and thirty) years ago, but not these days. Or, the Lexus critiques--road feel non existent like driving your Barcalounger and invariably as boring as a Maytag. Oh, and it will kick any bigger Hyundai's butt if same general group (entry, mid, high equipped)--as it should. As a few have found out...and lotsa others. Lots of times I just shake my head, wondering what are they thinking or too much test. or too many "professional driver only" commercials with pretend animation went to their heads. They don't get long..to try to read the trunk lid...either.
Well glad you like Audi and i think i am becoming a fan also but i choose the genesis after having driven it...the car drives nice and over quality of materials are just as good if not better than Audi...the leather in the g90 is standard extended nappa soft leather so the leather is everywhere....also the leather quality is actually better than Audi valcona leather.

However the drive in the Audi is actually better and with the discounts i can get on a new a8 is close to what i can get a g90 for so i guess maybe no brainer. But you might actually be surprised if you actually saw one and drove one.

And about nitpicking on the tech is only because it's actually important to me...I will not get another car as a luxo daily cruiser without those two options...I drive a lot and need those and if I'm going to spend this kind of money why not get something that's going to work well?
Old 02-27-2017, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone with an s8 or s7 feel like maybe you should have gone up to the a8l for the extra rear space?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Deciding on A8