A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dissapointed with new A8 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the tie pressure. If the Pirellis, which suck by the way, are under inflated they wander. Dynamic steering and auto everything else is how I'm setup and the car behaves beautifully. Best wishes
S
Old 09-18-2015, 03:24 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Absolutely check that you turn off the Lane Assist.. I find that it is very annoying on the highway.. it actually fights the driver in most cases for some reason.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Let us know how you make out. I'd be willing to bet you have the steering in comfort, which seems to wander and hard to keep the vehicle going where you want it.

Also as has been said if the tires are underinflated it will tend to tramline compounding the wandering.

I’m sure you will be satisfied once you get figured out how to change the driving modes in the vehicle.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey94025
If you have it in your car, also make sure that lane departure warning is disabled (button on left/top stalk, toggles yellow icon on and off at top of instrument cluster). Many have complained that it makes steering feel "wobbly" and I find it really bad on the highway in my 2015 S8.
Thanks for the input. Page 99 in the manual. Makes sense. I'll look into it, and thanks for the input.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SWelsch
Check the tie pressure. If the Pirellis, which suck by the way, are under inflated they wander. Dynamic steering and auto everything else is how I'm setup and the car behaves beautifully. Best wishes
S

You can't imagine how delighted I am that so many have submitted input. Thanks for yours as well. Pirellis, I agree, are the pits. I had an A4 before this one, which came with Pirellis. My daughter drove it and she was appalled at how poorly it drove. At 25,000 they gave out, and I put on Michelin Pilot super sports, and it was a different car. I wouldn't be surprised if with the change down the line, that that will be the case here as well. I bet Audi has a deal with Pirelli to use their tires. I hate Pirellis. But again, thanks.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KnappAttack
Let us know how you make out. I'd be willing to bet you have the steering in comfort, which seems to wander and hard to keep the vehicle going where you want it.

Also as has been said if the tires are underinflated it will tend to tramline compounding the wandering.

I’m sure you will be satisfied once you get figured out how to change the driving modes in the vehicle.
All of you folks' responses brings joy to my heart. The world is indeed full of great people. I put steering in "dynamic" and "auto" everything else at this point, and it is MUCH BETTER. I'll check the lane assist and the tire pressure. The fact that all have suggested that this is an issue particular to my vehicle give me comfort that I'll get to the bottom of it. I'll keep all appraised, and thanks to you and to all.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by The_Capt
I can understand to a degree what you're referring to. The quattro driving set-up definitely is a bit different compared to other AWD and non-AWD cars I've owned. The car can feel "very" front wheel biased at times, and may be in line with the steering feedback you're describing.

I also had the 20" 10 spoke wheels on the car, but certainly didn't think it tracked poorly on road, but I did notice a difference when switching to Dynamic mode which again does sharpen areas like steering response, suspension turn-in and throttle response/transmission shifts. I suggest playing around with the various driving modes (Comfort/Auto/Dynamic), and perhaps even Individual settings to really dial in your preferences.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the D4 albeit the occasional front end creaks when driving over speed bumps or other roads where suspension travel is put to work for rebound. That issue though seems to be pretty standard across the board for the D4 and is documented in a few threads on here.

Ultimately, I find the D4 to be a very sound car with tons of pluses that outweigh the occasional minuses at times.

Your post has helped tremendously, and I thank you for it. I'm following your suggestions, and those of others, and I'm half way there. Still not perfect, but A LOT BETTER. And thanks again.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

If you have it in your car, also make sure that lane departure warning is disabled (button on left/top stalk, toggles yellow icon on and off at top of instrument cluster). Many have complained that it makes steering feel "wobbly" and I find it really bad on the highway in my 2015 S8.

I will, and thanks!
Old 09-21-2015, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Noted, and thanks so much.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Noted, and thanks!

Quick Reply: Dissapointed with new A8 purchase