A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dissapointed with new A8 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree, turn off the lane departure system. I thought my suspension was broken the first time it kicked in. Might be worth using after a bunch of beers but otherwise no way
Old 09-21-2015, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SWelsch
Might be worth using after a bunch of beers but otherwise no way
ha-ha!

this is a preview of the future for us now. a car that stops and accelerates/maintains distance on its own and stays in the lane, at least for a little while.

just having completed over 3000 miles on the road in a weekend, i so much wish that our highway system went automated and let the cars drive themselves at 90+ MPH. it drives me bonkers that traffic comes to a standstill because of a single lane closure, in which there is no reason that if people spaced out and merged in a methodical and timely manner there would be no impact to speed.....
Old 09-22-2015, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SWelsch
Agree, turn off the lane departure system. I thought my suspension was broken the first time it kicked in. Might be worth using after a bunch of beers but otherwise no way
Thanks for the response. I'll turn it off.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by zedbyers
ha-ha!

this is a preview of the future for us now. a car that stops and accelerates/maintains distance on its own and stays in the lane, at least for a little while.

just having completed over 3000 miles on the road in a weekend, i so much wish that our highway system went automated and let the cars drive themselves at 90+ MPH. it drives me bonkers that traffic comes to a standstill because of a single lane closure, in which there is no reason that if people spaced out and merged in a methodical and timely manner there would be no impact to speed.....
Noted, and thanks.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnHugill
... I put steering in "dynamic" and "auto" everything else at this point, and it is MUCH BETTER. I'll check the lane assist and the tire pressure.
Sorry to be late to the party here. Steering in Dynamic is "a must." I also find that placing the suspension in Dynamic for highway speeds also takes away any "floaty" feeling and makes the car more aerodynamic---Auto suspension mode brings the ride height down only at speeds in excess of 74mph, which is way too late IMO. And yes, check the tire pressure---those 265x20's tend to tram with lower pressure. I keep my 20in. tires at 39 to 40psi (cold) and find that helps quite a bit, with minimal added harshness...in fact, in my area, higher psi is a matter of tire/wheel preservation with all the lousy roadways here.

Hope your A8 is growing on you 😃 It really is a wonderful car.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Sorry to be late to the party here. Steering in Dynamic is "a must." I also find that placing the suspension in Dynamic for highway speeds also takes away any "floaty" feeling and makes the car more aerodynamic---Auto suspension mode brings the ride height down only at speeds in excess of 74mph, which is way too late IMO. And yes, check the tire pressure---those 265x20's tend to tram with lower pressure. I keep my 20in. tires at 39 to 40psi (cold) and find that helps quite a bit, with minimal added harshness...in fact, in my area, higher psi is a matter of tire/wheel preservation with all the lousy roadways here.

Hope your A8 is growing on you 😃 It really is a wonderful car.
Really appreciate your input, and those of all others. It has made a world of difference. Not only in regards to emotional comfort level, but actual help from the many opinions. I'll follow yours, particularly tire pressures, and yes, I'm in "dynamic" right now, and it does make a difference.