A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you think an A7/S7 is a legitimate alternative to an A8?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 10:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you think an A7/S7 is a legitimate alternative to an A8?

I have a 2011 NWB A8 with only 15k miles on it, and absolutely love it. I have so few miles because work is relatively close and I only spend about 40 minutes a day in my car. Most of that time is spent weaving in and out of traffic or manuvering through the tight parking garage at work looking for a spot. When I get home, I have to do a 3 point turn to get the car in my tight space in my garage that is filled with strollers, bikes, and tons of my wifes crap.

I have been thinking that an A7 might be a good replacement because it is smaller and more agile, plus I believe it is a fantastic looking car. The other day I had an A7 loaner while my A8 was in for its service, and was woefully dissapointed. When I got my A8 back, it took until the first red light to decide that The A7 is a fine car but it's just not in the same league as the A8.

I guess what would be ideal for me, is an A7 with the fit and finish of an A8. The S7 may have the same basic engine and price of an A8 but the interior of an A6. Would any of you be inclined to buy an A/S7 if it was a sportier and more agile version of an A8 instead of a beautifully sculpted A6, or is it unrealistic to want the luxery and finish of a flagship model in a sport sedan.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Sounds like you want an Audi equivalent to the Mercedes S-class Coupe. All the refinement and luxury in a smaller, sportier package. Audi doesn't make that, as far as I know. You kind of have to prioritize. You can't go any smaller than your current A8 without losing some luxury and comfort. It's up to you as to whether or not it's worth the easier parking that comes with a car 6 inches shorter and 2 inches narrower.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

I have never understood why the A7's interior wasn't designed somewhere between the A6 and A8. The car justly deserves its own interior design that is an upgrade over the A6 IMO. I believe you answered your own question by your disappointment with the A7 compared to your A8. Get another A8 and clean out the garage! 😜
Old 03-29-2015, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ This. To quote the OP, "...The A7 is a fine car but it's just not in the same league as the A8."

/Thread.

Ps: I had a Premium+ A7 for a year, and was constantly reminded every time I stepped in how, other than the sporty looks/trimline, it had basically the same interior/bells-n-whistles of the C7 A6 I traded-in for it.

Last edited by ebi718; 03-29-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Of course, since almost by definition we're all A8 fanboys on this site, this might not be the most neutral of places to ask this question and expect an objective answer :-)
Old 03-30-2015, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

No.

/thread
Old 03-30-2015, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently took delivery of my second a6. I wanted the a8 but there were none in Canada close to my spec. Not even close. With a factory order the price difference was too great. If they had an in stock nwb I wanted the dealer assured me I'd be in an a8 right now. My new a6 was an in stock car and the price difference was far far too great to pass up. I love the a6.

But an a8 it is not. The interior cannot compete and the fit and finish are beyond reproach. The a6 is really nice. It's not a8 worthy. The exterior though can be argued that the a6/7 are better looking in their respective classes. The a8 can be mistaken for an a4 especially from back I find.

I also have a tight garage and when they let me test an a8 for the weekend I had to maneuver it in but the cameras really help. My garage was not a deterrent and worth the effort.

The a7 has the 3.0t. I assume you have the v8. The s7 is very much a sports car with a deluxe finish. A different experience. The a8 is all luxury with agility but not sport.

Bottom line. A8. Otherwise save $$$ and a nicely equipped a6. Can't go wrong with it. But it won't be an a8. But a6 looks swank and very sporty.

Last edited by Mitch105; 03-30-2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by kobanna
I have a 2011 NWB A8 with only 15k miles on it, and absolutely love it. I have so few miles because work is relatively close and I only spend about 40 minutes a day in my car. Most of that time is spent weaving in and out of traffic or manuvering through the tight parking garage at work looking for a spot. When I get home, I have to do a 3 point turn to get the car in my tight space in my garage that is filled with strollers, bikes, and tons of my wifes crap.

I have been thinking that an A7 might be a good replacement because it is smaller and more agile, plus I believe it is a fantastic looking car. The other day I had an A7 loaner while my A8 was in for its service, and was woefully dissapointed. When I got my A8 back, it took until the first red light to decide that The A7 is a fine car but it's just not in the same league as the A8.

I guess what would be ideal for me, is an A7 with the fit and finish of an A8. The S7 may have the same basic engine and price of an A8 but the interior of an A6. Would any of you be inclined to buy an A/S7 if it was a sportier and more agile version of an A8 instead of a beautifully sculpted A6, or is it unrealistic to want the luxery and finish of a flagship model in a sport sedan.

Get an S6, fully loaded. It has all the technology, fit and finish of the A8, plus a killer engine, and it's smaller and more agile.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
Sounds like you want an Audi equivalent to the Mercedes S-class Coupe. All the refinement and luxury in a smaller, sportier package. Audi doesn't make that, as far as I know.
Have to wait for the A9:

Audi Prologue concept: it's the new A9! - BBC Top Gear
Old 03-30-2015, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm not crazy about the interior or the rims, but I do like the body. Interior feels oddly angled and lacks the warmth of the current design.

Quick Reply: Do you think an A7/S7 is a legitimate alternative to an A8?