A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you think an A7/S7 is a legitimate alternative to an A8?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A7 to A8

Originally Posted by Jack88
I'm not crazy about the interior or the rims, but I do like the body. Interior feels oddly angled and lacks the warmth of the current design.
I agree, which is while I found the A7 exterior to be 'sexier' I found my current A8 interior far more comfortable. Perhaps the next A8 will have more than just the current 'facelift'. I must admit do miss the liftback feature!
Old 03-31-2015, 03:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Audi is a company for enthusiasts, and as such, I guess the normal progression for a high end A7 platform would be the RS7. For my needs, I just wish the A8, rather than the R8, had mated with the A7. I really need to try the S7 out to see if the performance tickles my fancy, but looking at the 70k+ sticker on my A7 loaner left me thinking it needed more than sexy looks for that price.

I think the A8 has me spoiled at this point, I just really really wanted to love the A7.

Last edited by kobanna; 03-31-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:08 AM
jro
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the exact same reaction about a month ago when I had an A7 loaner. My wife loves the shape of the A7 and we've been considering buying one for her, so I thought that taking the A7 loaner was a great way to spend a day in the car. Sexy, yes. Sporty, yes. Luxurious, yes, but just not in the same league as the A/S 8.

S6 indeed might be the ticket given your priorities.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default This Is the Best Automotive Interior Under $120,000

This Is the Best Automotive Interior Under $120,000 ? Feature ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

Nice piece and high praise indeed!
Old 04-01-2015, 09:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think this is a great question. As someone who has had the first issue A7 (2012 MY) that was released in 2011, I have to echo many of the sentiments expressed in response. I love the car and have enjoyed it immensely, but am looking for something more luxurious regarding the interior - I currently have a 2015 S8 on order and plan to trade-in the A7 in May when I take delivery . I have found it hard to believe that they don't have a full leather option for the A7 - I can't stand all of the plastic that is used throughout. The S7 seems to step it up a bit, but the diamond stitch seats don't offer cooling like they do in the 8 series which is a deal breaker for me. My guess is that you if you were disappointed with the A7 loaner, you have become accustomed to the luxury of the A8 and would be best to stick with that series.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same dilemma an year ago. I was deciding between the RS7 and S8. The RS7 was just a tiny bit more expensive, but virtually the same price as the S8. I've always been a fan of RS-cars and wanted one, but at the end I decided on the S8. The interior even of the RS7 is nowhere near the S8, and I'm guessing the regular A7 is even further from the A8.

Also some other dealbreakers for me:
The nice looking seats are not ventilated. If you want vent, you got to order the ugly ones.
No solar sunroof option.
Only 2 seats at the back, when there's clearly a space for 3rd person.
No bird-eye camera view option.
Oddly positioned buttons - the Engine Start button is on the freaking right side of the console!
Not-so-good looking front panel with odd curves (personal taste).
No trail hitch (I'm not sure if that's the correct word) option. Some of us have boats to tow.
Generally lower quality materials. If you've just seen an RS7, it's perfectly fine. However, if you compare it to an S8... meh.

S8/A8 disadvantages:
Design is on the plain side.
Larger (which could also be an advantage) + heavier.
Relatively small trunk.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't care for the look of the A7's at all. I think they are so ugly with the hatchback rear end.

A6 looks terrific!!!!

A8 needs to grow on ya, a bit too long in the front end and no where near as sporty as the A6, but there is nothing that compares to a loaded up 8 interior!
Old 04-08-2015, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently ordered the new 2016 S6 after much back and forth comparison with the A8. I was pretty set on the A8 until, like the original poster, started liking the sportier feel of the A6 (dealer had no S6 to drive). I think the 2016 models have come much closer to the feel of the A8 (as a matter of fact the MMI system above the A8 by a notch). I think the dash itself and where screen pops up not nearly the refinement of the A8. I actually ended up liking the position of the MMI controls better on the A6. Yes no idea why they put start/stop by the passenger on A6.

A6 does lose a good deal of passenger leg room and a little width - but has bigger trunk and fold down seats.

Went S6 to get the air suspension (well and engine) as I thought the A6 was a little more harsh then I would want (especially after comparing to A8 suspension). As I haven't actually driven the S6 I'm hoping Comfort mode will be a little in between the stock A6 and A8.

Still love the A8 though.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

You ordered an S6 without driving one? That's a bold decision, I don't know that I could do that.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

After reading your feedback and reaserching/pricing stuff out I have come to a few conclusions. For ~90k there is no better car on the road, in my opinion, than the A8 NWB. The S7 is roughly the same price as the A8 4.0t, but the performance does not justify the small price differential to me. The S6, on the other hand, is roughly the same price as an A7. In this case, I believe the performance would justify the small price differential, given the shared interior and chassis.

As much as I wanted the A7 to wow me, it just doesn't excel at anything, other than apperance, enough to justify a price that is so close to what I could get an A8 for. Whatever I chose for my next car, I at least know that it will be another Audi.

Quick Reply: Do you think an A7/S7 is a legitimate alternative to an A8?