A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Pirelli P Zero Have a Tire Defect?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Does Pirelli P Zero Have a Tire Defect?

My AUDI Dealer mechanic claims that what sounds to be a rubbing noise is actually a tire defect. I just had a tire rotation and the noise didnt move with the tire. He still says that its the tire or tire(s). I will probably call Pirelli but I am curious to see what other A8 owners with P 0's on the 20" wheel are experiencing

It seems that parts that aren't warrantied often become part of the blame game
Old 01-06-2015, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

PIs doing good after 5k mis; some rubbing /occasional / depending on road imperfections; PIs are rated 400 UTOOG but will last 30-35k miles; A8L is heavy 4600 lbs. so it seems normal
Old 01-07-2015, 05:02 PM
jro
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the "defect' is that they are TERRIBLE tires! I my humble opinion.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it is worth, I had similar road noise with Pirellis on my Ferrari. Switched to Michelin Supersports and the sound went away. Additional benefits are more comfortable ride and longer wear.

I've had Pirellis on 4 of my last 6 cars, and I do not like them. I think there are better brands out there, namely Michelins or Contis. But I will admit that the Pirellis on my Abarth do perform rather nicely, but neither sound, nor comfort are a prime concern there.

You could buy 1 tire of another brand, have them mount it and drive around for a couple hundred miles. It is not an ideal solution and may probably give you a funky ride quality, but to diagnose and cure the sound issue, your only downside if it doesn't work is likely not more than $400.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGrasshopper
For what it is worth, I had similar road noise with Pirellis on my Ferrari. Switched to Michelin Supersports and the sound went away. Additional benefits are more comfortable ride and longer wear.

I've had Pirellis on 4 of my last 6 cars, and I do not like them. I think there are better brands out there, namely Michelins or Contis. But I will admit that the Pirellis on my Abarth do perform rather nicely, but neither sound, nor comfort are a prime concern there.

You could buy 1 tire of another brand, have them mount it and drive around for a couple hundred miles. It is not an ideal solution and may probably give you a funky ride quality, but to diagnose and cure the sound issue, your only downside if it doesn't work is likely not more than $400.
Tks. If you r still in Miami then You aren't far from me. I service my A8 at Springs Audi but Braman AUDI said when I had time to drive up and Willie (The A8 guy) said he would swap out tires from another A8 to prove its the tire and not a bushing or bearing (which it still could be) . I'll see what happens. The noise started about 3K miles ago. If its POSSIBLE TO concluded its tire then I am done with Pirelli's. Pirelli's are ok for performance and sports cars. My S4 had the Pirelli summer Performance tire and they were nice but I never had this noise I am now hearing . Anyway, I prefer my A8 to have a much quieter tire. As long as a diffrerent manufacturer doesn't upset the A8 Stability then I am ok wit it. But this rubbing noise has to go
Old 01-08-2015, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can add me to the list of those who have had bad experience with Pirellis. Had a set on a Porsche 996 at one time and they were terrible. When I needed tires I was told by the dealer that Pirelli had made improvements and their then new Pirelli Roso tires were much better. They were not. I switched all my cars to Michelins and have been happy ever since.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Pirellis are horrendous. Terrible quality control. Out of round tires getting vibration. Noise and humming sounds. Pulling and sloppy handling. Tire rubber gashes. Etc. These are all the worse things I get with Pirellis I never get on Michelins. Period.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

As long as you don't mind that they get very noisy, wear poorly and are round for only a few miles when new, vibrate at high speeds and impossible to properly road force balance as a result. Otherwise, they're great.
Pfft.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Italy is know for amazing food and incredible women.
Tires... not so much.

I'd never own a set of them.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have them on my car and can say I am happy with them. Yes, I have driven other tires and I can say my favorite is the Michelin tire. Too bad Michelin's don't come in my size.

Quick Reply: Does Pirelli P Zero Have a Tire Defect?