A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

extended warranty coverage

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

resurrecting this thread.....what is everyone using for extended warranties? simply going through Audi USA for their extended coverage?

Stealership quoted me $6400 for 3 yrs/100k miles on my 2012 4.2L with roughly 36k miles.....seems high to me.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I went through the Audi dealership and it cost me $4500 for platinum coverage for 3/36,000 additional coverage at 49,000 miles. I've had it for a year, and I intend to return it for a prorated refund. I got it for fear of problems with things like the transmission or engine I may not have caught buying the car. Now that I've had it for a while, the number of surprises I could expect is much lower, so I feel like the risk no longer equals the cost, especially considering the number of repairs I could do myself and still not exceed the cost of the warranty and it's deductible.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hwmorganiii
it doesn't get any better than Easy Care. Dealers love them because they rary decline a claim. I also learned hat they pay retail for repairs whereas some carriers get a discount. It can't hurt to keep the guys happy who are wrenching on your car. I got a 4 year policy on a 7 series for ~5k. Easy Care paid for more than$10k of repairs without whining once.
Just got a quote from EasyCare....4yr/48k miles on their Premier coverage, matches factory bumper-bumper warranties, came in at $8900. That's over $3k more than Audi's extended warranty I was quoted.

Got a quote from another Audi dealer for same period at $5900, and he shopped out to a 3rd party company called National something that quoted $4800. All for the same period.

Still debating, whether outlaying $5k or so is worth it given I'll likely have the car for 3-4 yrs before I swap out for a new toy.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just like life insurance. I don't understand betting that you will die, or that your car will break down. Yes, when I was younger I had term life insurance because I needed it, but at 72 paying for life insurance is, IMHO, crazy. If you pay what we do for a new car and you can't afford to have it fixed, maybe you shouldn't have bought the car in the first place. Always remember, the insurance company is there to make money, not there to help you.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

thanks Red.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
Just like life insurance. I don't understand betting that you will die, or that your car will break down. Yes, when I was younger I had term life insurance because I needed it, but at 72 paying for life insurance is, IMHO, crazy. If you pay what we do for a new car and you can't afford to have it fixed, maybe you shouldn't have bought the car in the first place. Always remember, the insurance company is there to make money, not there to help you.
I bought a 2011 A8 with extened warranty and so far it has replaced my MMI controller and now it is replacing the engine with a new factory fresh longblock
I'm sure it could have been done "cheaper" but it would have costs me over 25K !!! The old engine had 36k on it (19K when I bought it back in November )
Old 06-25-2015, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 1stGlance
I bought a 2011 A8 with extened warranty and so far it has replaced my MMI controller and now it is replacing the engine with a new factory fresh longblock
I'm sure it could have been done "cheaper" but it would have costs me over 25K !!! The old engine had 36k on it (19K when I bought it back in November )
Wow....engine replacement at 36k?! what happened?

the whole warranty "yay or nay" decision is certainly a roll of the dice. You can lose $$ on either side of the coin. I'm going to more strongly consider when my factory expires this December.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

car beeped and stopped no bad noises or overheating or anything - while driving on highway - would not start - got it towed to dealer they could not start it either - first thought starter was bad - then ended up pulling the oil pan and found some kind of plug or something loose ... so seemed oil pump had issue and didn't work properly - warranty inspector came to inspect and agreed with shop so it will get a new engine. Engine had plenty of oil just wasn't lubricating everything properly - or so it seems. Pretty much what I was told ...
Old 06-25-2015, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm a big believer of the extra insurance ever since 2003 when my 2000 C5 corvette convertible with 39K needed 5 new pistons because of blow-by. Seems someone at the factory had failed to put the top compression ring on 5 of them. When they took it apart and showed me - I lost some of that confidence that the factory can't make mistakes like that when these things get assembled.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do the dealers discount Audi Care Plus? its the extended maintenance for 55k 65k 75k
$1800(?)

Quick Reply: extended warranty coverage