A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fear of flip down screen gears failing like in D3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fear of flip down screen gears failing like in D3?

So, I finally jumped on a 2013 CPO A8L 4.0T due to the advice of many of you over the past few weeks. I've only had it for two days but so far I am in AWE over this machine. I would right up a D3 to D4 review but people much more verbose have already posted it many times.

Anyway, I do have a question on the MMI screen. I know that many people on the D3 board had posted that the gears would break leaving the screen in a halfway up/down position. For this reason I rarely used my radio/nav features of my 2005 A8 for probably the last two years. Unless I was going for a long drive I would just leave it off and listen to music (and use the nav) from my iPhone. I'm wondering if the new D4 has better gears and this is no longer an issue? I purposely turned off the radio and lowered the screen yesterday but didn't realize the screen would automatically come back up when I put the car in reverse this morning to get out of my garage. Got to love the camera assistance package! Since it looks like my screen will be popping up every time I start my car (which is wayyyy to much compared to most of you I believe) I'm wondering if I have anything to worry about? I guess I can't do much, unless I can somehow avoid putting my car in reverse...
Old 04-24-2016, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. They don't have the same design. I haven't seen much along the lines of posts of complaints of them breaking.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by theanimala
So, I finally jumped on a 2013 CPO A8L 4.0T due to the advice of many of you over the past few weeks. I've only had it for two days but so far I am in AWE over this machine. I would right up a D3 to D4 review but people much more verbose have already posted it many times.

Anyway, I do have a question on the MMI screen. I know that many people on the D3 board had posted that the gears would break leaving the screen in a halfway up/down position. For this reason I rarely used my radio/nav features of my 2005 A8 for probably the last two years. Unless I was going for a long drive I would just leave it off and listen to music (and use the nav) from my iPhone. I'm wondering if the new D4 has better gears and this is no longer an issue? I purposely turned off the radio and lowered the screen yesterday but didn't realize the screen would automatically come back up when I put the car in reverse this morning to get out of my garage. Got to love the camera assistance package! Since it looks like my screen will be popping up every time I start my car (which is wayyyy to much compared to most of you I believe) I'm wondering if I have anything to worry about? I guess I can't do much, unless I can somehow avoid putting my car in reverse...

Yes, the D4 has the same problem, You can do a search on MMI screen, don't think there's gears failing, but the lift mechanism is prone to the same failure, along with suspension bushings and other failures the D3 and earlier Audi's have had. A bigger fear/worry is an issue with coolant getting into the wire harness from the engine and transmission valves, it creates all kinds of problems with the ECU and various modules when the coolant is forced into them thru the harness.

Here is one post with dropping MMI screen. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...oping-2886950/