A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally placed order for 2015 A8

Old 07-11-2014, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by scottphillip
Does the Sport Plus package enhance the drive considerably? I like the Galvano wheels.

Why did you order Night Vision? I rarely use it, but I don't drive at night often.

When do you expect your car?
1. Sports Pkg: Beyond the wider and lower profile tires (which you can order separately), the Audi Dynamic Steering and the Rear Sports Differential both enhance the car's stability and drivability---in tandem, both keep the car's rear end planted on tight turns and keep it pointed in the direction you're steering. Have it as a stand alone option on my current A8L and it's a marvel; as I've stated on this forum frequently, I would not have the LWB model without it. I've tested my car against other A8Ls without these two features, and it's like night and day---the confidence you get going around sharp corners is amazing.

2. I use the Night Vision to help avoid deer as well as bicyclists at night on the rural roads I travel---lots of both. With the system updated to detect large animals and the warning now also appearing in the head up display, Night Vision is more useful for me not having to take my eyes off the road and look down to view any warnings in the instrument panel display. Still have to view the infrared image in the dash display though.

3. Expected delivery: Depends when my order is pulled from the order bank, but it's usually a 3 month wait, give or take a couple of weeks. Not sure how the Audi Exclusive color will affect the time table, but I expect it by mid-October at the latest (knocking on wood).
Old 07-13-2014, 11:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my 15' A8L 4.0T with sport package and it's an amazing improvement to the 13' A8L 3.0T without sport package I traded. I also have a 14' RS5 and the new A8L with the 4.0T at 435HP and sports package is as close as you'll get to driving an RS5 in a full size sedan. The car is incredibly quick and handles terrific. An interesting upside to the new models is that they're much quieter all around and the mildly restyled body is even sexier than before. The new headlines are awesome too, and it's nice to have integrated fog lights in them. I don't think I Would own another A8 without the sports package.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Modiecast
I've had my 15' A8L 4.0T with sport package and it's an amazing improvement to the 13' A8L 3.0T without sport package I traded. I also have a 14' RS5 and the new A8L with the 4.0T at 435HP and sports package is as close as you'll get to driving an RS5 in a full size sedan. The car is incredibly quick and handles terrific. An interesting upside to the new models is that they're much quieter all around and the mildly restyled body is even sexier than before. The new headlines are awesome too, and it's nice to have integrated fog lights in them. I don't think I Would own another A8 without the sports package.
Modiecast- great to hear your experience with your new A8. Completely agree with your comment on the impact of the sports package on the car's handling. What is your feeling regarding the ride quality with sports package vs. your previous non-sport A8? Is the suspension (let's say in a Comfort mode) harsher/harder? TIA. Oh, BTW, how about some glam shots of your new ride? :-)

derf
Old 07-14-2014, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

What made you skip B&O?
Old 07-14-2014, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by veedubmac
What made you skip B&O?
I was waiting for someone to bring that up :-))

B&O just isn't that important to me---not really an audiophile and we don't turn up the volume that much. Actually the Bose system has sounded fine in all the A8's I've had. I know those with more finely tuned ears would disagree. The other factor is that the list of options we selected are of greater importance to my wife and myself. This is actually a company lease whose $114K+ MSRP (IMO) has hit the limits of reasonableness (is there such a thing?). If there were no limits, then sure, I'd have added the B&O just for kicks...and for those nifty little pop up tweeters :-)
Old 07-14-2014, 06:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Modiecast- great to hear your experience with your new A8. Completely agree with your comment on the impact of the sports package on the car's handling. What is your feeling regarding the ride quality with sports package vs. your previous non-sport A8? Is the suspension (let's say in a Comfort mode) harsher/harder? TIA. Oh, BTW, how about some glam shots of your new ride? :-)

derf
Every bit as nice a ride with the sport package, but the car is definitely more connected to the road. I'll post some pics in the next couple of days.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

I have the sports option on my D3 NWB A8 and it really is quite nimble, even on all season tires. As to ride comfort, after some initial experimentation, I leave mine in "dynamic" exclusively and I don't sense any discomfort whatsoever. I wouldn't buy an A8 without the sports option. Mike
Old 07-15-2014, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default These EPA numbers/comparo are trending right w/ refresh too

A power goose, but up on the MPG at the margin, presumably w/ the part cylinder shut down.

Similar basically 1 MPG bump on the W12 if you plug it in year over year.

2015 vs. 2014 S8 and A8 (SWB): http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find....34925&id=33826

2015 A8 L and SWB vs. 2014's; the prior L MPG odd haircut now largely gone: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find....33849&id=33826

Also, the prior 4.0T vs. 3.0T MPG delta has largely evaporated at least on paper, pricing delta aside of course. Presumably again partial cylinder shutdown paying off to get from 4.0 displacement to 2.0 effectively in some modes. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find....33849&id=33850

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-15-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
A power goose, but up on the MPG at the margin, presumably w/ the part cylinder shut down.
I thoroughly despise the cylinder 'on demand' idea, but trust Audi to get it right.
Alas I don't want to derail derf's thread...

Then again, MPG doesn't concern me at all
Old 07-15-2014, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jakematic
I thoroughly despise the cylinder 'on demand' idea, but trust Audi to get it right.
Alas I don't want to derail derf's thread...

Then again, MPG doesn't concern me at all
Ahh, go ahead and derail. We'll call it a thread "hijake". :-))

Seriously, I also would prefer to forgo cylinder on demand. But it is what it is. Guess we'll just have to drive fast. ;-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally placed order for 2015 A8