A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First A8L purchase advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First A8L purchase advice

I have been a long time admirer of Audi A8's but have never owned one. Have been a long time and multiple Porsche owner. I am in my mid 50's and have not owned a sedan since my 85' 528i in the 80's. Now it's time for a sedan and a bit of cush and the Panamera just doesn't do it for me. So my question is about the purchase of my first A8L. My budget is around $20-25k. My timing is between now and Spring. Here are my options as I see them;

1) Do I buy a first year (2011) D4 (A8L) with higher miles and not all the bells and whistles? The resale prices of such a car has recently dipped below the $30k mark.

OR Maybe;

2) Buy a late year D3 (A8L) with all the bells and whistles (including the B&O radio) and lower miles (around 50k) and in great shape? Current prices around the mid 20's.

OR Lastly

3) Consider a D3 (A8L) W12 or S8 with higher miles to fit in with my budget? Current prices mid 20's to low 30's.

I plan on making it a 6,000- 8,000 mile per year car and keep it for 5 years or so.

Please advise on future maintenance costs and any other tidbits which I will need to consider.

Will also use in the winter here in Maine. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

PS: I also realize the S8 is a short wheelbase car.

Last edited by 911 Crazy; 11-02-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just bought a 2013 A8 D4. I love this car. I haven't driven the A8 D3 though and I tried the Panamera, didn't love it like I thought I would. But I spend $51k on the A8 so the price range is obviously different than what you're looking at. I can tell you the style of the D4 is gorgeous and has a presence.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by frybear
I just bought a 2013 A8 D4. I love this car. I haven't driven the A8 D3 though and I tried the Panamera, didn't love it like I thought I would. But I spend $51k on the A8 so the price range is obviously different than what you're looking at. I can tell you the style of the D4 is gorgeous and has a presence.
I wish my budget was about $40k then the decision would be easy. I too love the presence the D4 brings to the table. Post pics if you have any. Good luck.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:14 AM
Perpetually confused

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a D@, D3 and a D4,
If you can swing the D4 I would, it's definitely a level or two above the D3.
Prices seem to be dipping further, a lot of leases on '12's will be up, so if you're not in a hurry you might be able to get something nicely spec'd in the mid 30's...
There's not a lot of consistency with pricing, I've seem some sparsely spec'd 12's at quite high prices and some quite lavish ones for quite a bit lower...
Old 11-02-2015, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Asiparks
I have a D@, D3 and a D4,
If you can swing the D4 I would, it's definitely a level or two above the D3.
Prices seem to be dipping further, a lot of leases on '12's will be up, so if you're not in a hurry you might be able to get something nicely spec'd in the mid 30's...
There's not a lot of consistency with pricing, I've seem some sparsely spec'd 12's at quite high prices and some quite lavish ones for quite a bit lower...
Nice fleet! So is the B & O system all that it is cracked up to be?
Old 11-02-2015, 10:45 AM
Perpetually confused

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ta very much !
I can definitely tell the difference between it and the pretty decent Bose in my D3, but I haven't heard the Bose in the D4...
I didn't set out to get it, I just happened upon a used D4 at a price where many of the options where effectively free....Sort of....
Old 11-02-2015, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Asiparks
Ta very much !
I can definitely tell the difference between it and the pretty decent Bose in my D3, but I haven't heard the Bose in the D4...
I didn't set out to get it, I just happened upon a used D4 at a price where many of the options where effectively free....Sort of....
And that is exactly what is great about buying a 3-6 year old luxury car!
Old 11-02-2015, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Well, I have a 2011 A8L, and I really am happy with it. Bought it July of 2014, and put around 15,000 on it. The only must have features I would spec for Maine would be the winter package and upgraded seats. The massage on the D4 is way above that of any others. The 8-speed provides outstanding acceleration and economy out of the 372hp V8, I have seen an indicated 31mpg over a long road trip(which equated to 29mpg after I did the math.) The adaptive cruise is really nice(in both the D4 and D3) when you encounter heavy freeway traffic and for road trips. The Bose is good, I wouldn't pay a lot extra for the B&O. The B&O is more for audiophiles, otherwise it's just a nice bonus.

The D3 and D4 have their own quirks. There is a harmonic of some sort that the more attentive will be able to pick up in the D4's at certain speeds and road surfaces, as well as the transmission can get indecisive with a rolling stop. But you do get better toys and a better interior. For what you're coming from, I would look for a 2011 A8 SWB with the sport package. The shorter wheelbase means the car rotates a bit better and the sport package features a trick diff to help pull you around the corners, as well as some very lovely quilted seats. The 8-speed does very well at choosing gears on the winding roads, but the paddle shifters that come standard respond quickly if you prefer to do your own shifting(it does upshift automatically at redline, but with a Rosstech cable you can disable it.)
Old 11-02-2015, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
Well, I have a 2011 A8L, and I really am happy with it. Bought it July of 2014, and put around 15,000 on it. The only must have features I would spec for Maine would be the winter package and upgraded seats. The massage on the D4 is way above that of any others. The 8-speed provides outstanding acceleration and economy out of the 372hp V8, I have seen an indicated 31mpg over a long road trip(which equated to 29mpg after I did the math.) The adaptive cruise is really nice(in both the D4 and D3) when you encounter heavy freeway traffic and for road trips. The Bose is good, I wouldn't pay a lot extra for the B&O. The B&O is more for audiophiles, otherwise it's just a nice bonus.

The D3 and D4 have their own quirks. There is a harmonic of some sort that the more attentive will be able to pick up in the D4's at certain speeds and road surfaces, as well as the transmission can get indecisive with a rolling stop. But you do get better toys and a better interior. For what you're coming from, I would look for a 2011 A8 SWB with the sport package. The shorter wheelbase means the car rotates a bit better and the sport package features a trick diff to help pull you around the corners, as well as some very lovely quilted seats. The 8-speed does very well at choosing gears on the winding roads, but the paddle shifters that come standard respond quickly if you prefer to do your own shifting(it does upshift automatically at redline, but with a Rosstech cable you can disable it.)
All good advice. Maybe by next Spring the 2011's will get comfortably into the mid 20's. BTW, your color combo is my #1 choice. Quite a looker you have there. Cheers.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Havana Black, which I for some reason assumed was...black. Washed her this weekend and in the BRIGHT sun, you can see it's actually a brown/black. Surprisingly, I love that! It's gorgeous. I love this car.

Quick Reply: First A8L purchase advice