A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Indicator...range calculation error

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
For those having problems with the gauge not returning to FULL after filling up, does this ever set a Check Engine Light for you?

My S8 is going in for 25,000 mi service Wednesday and this issue is on the list of things for them to address. However, I expect them to again tell me it is a software issue.

I don't think it is software. Mine didn't start this problem until after I had to have my gas tank replaced because of a puncture. I think my check engine light is because they either damaged the sensor when reinstalling it or reinstalled it incorrectly and that is what is causing my check engine light.

Please post if you are also getting a Check Engine light with this issue.

Thanks.
Have had issue on my 2015 S8 for last 4-5 tanks, only on gauge. I documented with iPhone pics over succeeding 30 miles or so after fill up for last couple of times it happened since I realized something was up. No CEL for life of ownership--5K miles in last 6 months or so. No prior history of of it or anything else you mention in the few work orders I got back to original delivery from same dealer I bought from CPO.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0

Whatever dealership you land at, try to know service advisor. He/she is your most likely ticket to satisfaction--or frustration. Even better, if new to dealership snout around on regional boards and such. For a reasonable volume one like mine (Rector in SF Bay Area), you can find posts on several boards that get down to first names of people who come recommended. Yelp might actually have some of that kind of stuff too, though maybe less enthusiast/brand knowledgable than many Audi boards.
Who do you recommend at Rector?
Old 10-14-2016, 11:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravill
Who do you recommend at Rector?
A lot seem strong. I used Hector Contreras for life of W12 dealer service. He is the hands on service manager who works the service lane as well. He had me work w/ Mark Martinez on Q5, who is newer but still experienced and also attentive. One super experienced but busy balancing his other duties; other less senior, quite attentive and wants to please. Both can get issues written up in ways that get work done or fit warranty when it matters like CPO or trim sorts of judgment calls, can spot things that might tie to TSB's or recurring issues they have seen, etc. Still haven't been in w/ S8. Don't know if only some of the SA's handle the D bodies. Mark does the Hybrid though, which is lower volume than even R8's and probably nearly as rare as W12's. Had one issue that ended up earlier this year with a key multi thousand dollar part basically red tag air shipped off line from Neckarsulm. They also had to consult with national tech support to i.d. the issue. A corner sort of case that suggests decent experience for non routine scenarios.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Use Audi of North Atlanta for service...PERIOD

Originally Posted by rscultho
Update:

So I took the car in (had made an appointment) on Tuesday. This was the Jim Ellis Audi dealership service center on Peachtree Parkway. I was told when I got there:

* We only have a few people that are qualified to work on the A8.

* They would need the car 2 to 3 days to diagnose the fuel indicator issue.

* Asked if I could come back next week, because they were still working on cars brought in last week.

I asked him why someone did not tell me these things the day before, so that both theirs and my time wasn't wasted? He shrugged and said he did not know.

So, now I have to drop it off Monday (11/17) and leave it for 2 to 3 days. It was extremely irritating.

One thing that has never happened to me before is to call and make an appointment for service, and then be told when I got there that they did not have anyone to work on my car.

And 2 to 3 days to work on a fuel indicator issue???? Really?
Old 10-19-2016, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Collected my S8 from the dealer this afternoon. They are sticking with the story that it is a software problem. According to the Service Manager and the technician who they brought in from the shop, Audi has corrected this problem in the "3" "5" "6" and "7" level cars and the "8" level cars should have a fix soon.