A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where are all of the buyers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Where are all of the buyers?

Is it me or is this forum very quiet with new car buyer inquiries? I see some posts asking for advice on buying used (smart move for sure) but extremely quiet with people asking advice on getting a new 2016; posting new pics of a car just delivered; advice on a recent lease quote, etc.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think there is not much activity as the A8 is near the end of it's life cycle and there is not that much interest in it compared to the new S class and 7 series. Same thing happened on the D3 board. Someone just a few weeks ago started a thread here about purchase prices and somehow the discussion turned to buying them used.

On a side note I dropped off my new to me '13 at the dealer today to get plates on and have the 4.0T vibration checked when I noticed they only had 1 new A8 in the lot. They may have had more in a hidden area but certainly they didn't have many of them.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Yep, everyone that had wanted one new already took the plunge. Most new buyers at this point are already know what they're looking at because they already have a prefacelift D4 already. Not a lot of new to Audi buyers at the end of the cycle.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rumor of the new model has buyers waiting as well.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

And many now buying new probably aren't "enthusiasts" that would care, or frequent forums like AW. Appears that the vast majority of "enthusiast" purchases are now occurring in the pre-owned arena, as already noted in this thread, and previously seen with the D3 forum at about the same point in the life-cycle of that model generation.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

It was after I purchased my A8L when I " discovered " audiworld.com as an avenue to learn more about my new purchase. Being a previous Audi owner, I was already familiar with the marque and having had other luxury cars in between, it was the sheer boredom of having two Lexus LS's (2004 and 2007) plus the ugly front end of the newest iteration that convinced me to look elsewhere. After researching the S Class and 7 series and comparing to the A8, it was obvious as to what I would be test driving first. The S is only slightly less boring than the LS Lexus and the 7 series just simply didn't measure up in any category. The A8 stood out from the rest as soon as I got behind the wheel. And then of course, when I pushed the 4.0T to life, I couldn't strike a deal fast enough. Luxo car sales in general are down considerably while high end SUV's are selling like gas will never go back over $3 a gallon. Some people never learn!
Old 05-19-2016, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am currently very close to taking the plunge and getting a new a8 4.0. will keep you updated! previously drove 2012 A7 prestige and just got out of 2014 M5. this forum has so far been great.

one question. love the look of BOTH 20s on the 4.0 sport, 5 spoke design, and the 21s. i don't mind the up charge for the 21s but wonder about decrease ride quality and also live in midwest and will need winter tires which look to run 1500 for the set. would keep on same rims if got the 21's otherwise would run AS on the 20s.. thoughts.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by robertsalem
one question. love the look of BOTH 20s on the 4.0 sport, 5 spoke design, and the 21s. i don't mind the up charge for the 21s but wonder about decrease ride quality and also live in midwest and will need winter tires which look to run 1500 for the set. would keep on same rims if got the 21's otherwise would run AS on the 20s.. thoughts.
Search MP4's post regarding the excessive unsprung wheel weight of the 21's on his S8. That's another consideration to keep in mind that goes to both comfort and handling. I personally find the 20" "Galvano" sport package wheels with the 40 aspect ratio tires on my car to be both comfortable and good handling.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default OE 21 vs. 20 practical experience (D4 S8)

Chiming in here from derf's post.

Yes, the 21's will add at least 5 pounds but could be as much as 9-10 pounds of both unsprung and rotating mass weight, per wheel. That is like 7-15% more pure pork, and the worst kind. You can find rules of thumb saying rotating mass "costs" between a low of about 1.5 and a high of up to 6x static weight. Audi's own U.K. official numbers they now have to publish for wheel options for UK rules say 21's cost 1.5 to 2.5% in terms of fuel economy relative to 20's, every day, all year. Interestingly, they didn't show any difference from 19's to 20's. That part perhaps doesn't hold water completely, but it is what they report on D4 specific OE fitments.

On the ride side, admittedly I have an S8 that is going to ride stiffer than an A8 in any configuration. Thus I kind of laugh when I read the threads about what setting do you put the car in via MMI, and many chime in dynamic for most settings. But, also all A8 owners. In an S8, how about not dynamic for most anything other than maybe exhaust. More specifically, with the 21's the car felt somewhat unsettled--just sort of a general qualitative didn't quite feel all dialed in when driven at 6 or 7/10's or more. Wheels perfectly balanced. No obvious issue with alignment--2015 with less than 5,000 miles. But also enough miles to be past break in. And yes, the 20's (on an OE forged wheel choice) were very much the ticket. Since it was a back to back switch, it eliminated other possible (unlikely) contributing factors with vehicle. Running well regarded 275/40 Conti DW's, so also summer to summer comparo with the Dunlop 275/35's on the 21's. No trick balancing either--TireRack off the truck and basic mount and balance at my usual Mike's local tire place on previously used OE wheels from an A7/S7 donor.

What I would say is the 21's maybe look a little more aggressive. You notice the sidewall difference--whether your eyes or I guess your back side. I suspect the "standard" 265's might actually look a bit better than 275's in 20's, but that's subtle. In 21's the 275's look right to my eye. The 275's in 20's give dead on accurate speedo readings--checked with GPS app. both pre and post. On OE 21's it was still about 1MPH optimistic; the 20's have a couple tenths more running diameter, so just enough to make the percent delta. 275's in 20's also have more tire selection choices, though somewhat different. 21's will typically also cost you more--not a common passenger car tire size comparatively, though the 265/35 in 20's has the same issue. One visual offset cutting the other way is I think the brakes look better with a well styled 20. What are massive rotors and front calipers in reality on the S8 or 4.0T still get kind of lost in the yet bigger barrel size of the 21's--even in the front let alone the back.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-20-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great input fellas.

Good news, I pulled trigger today! I have been going back and forth between several dealers that have cars with the options I like. Prices were ALL over the board some being realistic, others with no discount!!! Crazy.

I finally negotiated with a dealer on an in stock unit.
i was choosing between
20s, five spoke
20s ten spoke with dynamic package
and 21s

i chose the 20s five spoke. i would have sprung for the extra dynamic package but that car had 10 spokes and getting a dealer to trade and swap tires was a bit more than i wanted to do over the phone. your comments make me feel like i did the right thing! waiting on paperwork and shipping. will keep all informed with further details when all is done!

Quick Reply: Where are all of the buyers?