A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone updated their nav data?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Has anyone updated their nav data?

I have a 2011 A8L and my dealer tells me that there are no nav updates available from Audi for my year model. Is that possible? Has anyone used their dealer to update their nav data for the latest version?
My current nav database version reads 8R006088AC NAR 5.5.3, and I noticed on a friend's 2015 A8, it reads 8R0060884CA NAR 6.10.2, which tells me newer cars have different versions and presumably updated data.
The roads where I travel have changed quite a bit since 2011 and a lot of the exits and streets do not show up on my current version, and it sure would be nice to use the built-in car nav instead of my phone...
Any inputs on this subject will be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-31-2015, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I've casually looked for an update but I can't seem to find any update for my car, either.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My advice is buy a Garmin with lifetime map updates. I gave up trying to get updates for my vehicles several years ago. It doesn't make any difference whether for the Porsche, Lexus and I suspect now for the Audi that it is cost effective to try and get updates through the dealer. Garmin updates my maps for free every quarter. If I really need to know where to go I use my Garmin.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
My advice is buy a Garmin with lifetime map updates. I gave up trying to get updates for my vehicles several years ago. It doesn't make any difference whether for the Porsche, Lexus and I suspect now for the Audi that it is cost effective to try and get updates through the dealer. Garmin updates my maps for free every quarter. If I really need to know where to go I use my Garmin.
Yes, I agree with you and I do have a Garmin with the lifetime updates. I just find it hard to believe that Audi does not offer updates, and I just would like to use the built in car nav rather that having to stick my Garmin to the window. If Audi does not offer updates, they should quit putting nav in their cars. Just makes no sense to me that the dealer would tell me that there are no updates...Why would they turn down the opportunity to make money for loading an SD card into the nav hard drive to update the data? Does Audi really not offer updates on nav data?
Old 08-31-2015, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Your friend's A8 has newer MMI hardware and 6.10.2 is the 2015 map update. I believe there is one newer now, but I'm not sure. 6.10.2 is the same version I have in my 2013 RS5 after they replaced my entire MMI head unit due to a GPS reception issue. Dealers do offer map updates at least on the current generation cars. Your dealer might be misunderstanding you and thinking you are asking for a firmware update. These are two different things. Updating the map data costs around $400 depending on the labor rates in your area.

The next generation cars such as the A3, the 2016 A6/7 and the upcoming Q7 can update the map data over the Internet for free. Our generation cars and previous generation cars unfortunately are stuck with expensive dealer updates.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pcc125
I have a 2011 A8L and my dealer tells me that there are no nav updates available from Audi for my year model. Is that possible? Has anyone used their dealer to update their nav data for the latest version?
My current nav database version reads 8R006088AC NAR 5.5.3, and I noticed on a friend's 2015 A8, it reads 8R0060884CA NAR 6.10.2, which tells me newer cars have different versions and presumably updated data.
The roads where I travel have changed quite a bit since 2011 and a lot of the exits and streets do not show up on my current version, and it sure would be nice to use the built-in car nav instead of my phone...
Yes, I was told the same thing by Audi of America. If you have an early model D4 A8, I was told it is impossible to update the Nav maps. Look between the two SD card slots and see if there is a slot for a sim card. If there is no sim card slot, then no updates from what I was told. I was very disappointed when I found this out, and decided I am not buying any more first model year cars. It's a shame that a car with so much tech can be obsolete in just a few years. In my opinion, they should make all the tech hardware upgradeable not just the software, but to not even be able to update maps is nearly unforgivable.

My wife was going to get the new Q7 when it comes out, we decided to wait a a year or two to give them some time to work the kinks out before getting it. I am pretty sure my next car will focus on performance rather than tech and luxury becuause performance is the only thing that seems to stand the test of time (plus it's more fun).
Old 09-01-2015, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Your Dealer is incorrect!

Originally Posted by pcc125
Wow, I thought my dealer was bad. Think you have me beat.

Here is a snapshot of my MMI. This is my 2011 A8L and, as you can see, 2 SD and no SIM slots. As of two months ago, it has the latest software, K0814 and maps, 6.10.2.

I bought the car CPO in January of this year. It had the original software and maps with which it originally shipped with in 2011. Think the software was P0112 and Maps were 4.X.X.

I didn't initially ask about a new maps update. I was more concerned about the software version. My dealer tried to tell me there were no software updates available for my model. After a bit of research on this and other Audi forums, I figured out my dealer would not be compensated for the roughly 2 hours of work required to update the software unless the update was applied to address another problem. The two most common problems were Bluetooth connectivity issues and the sound quality of the Bose system.

Armed with this information, I went straight to Audi of America (AOA) and complained. They got back to me in less than 24 hours. Told me there was a software update that would address my issues and offered to contact my dealer directly. A week later I had all new software and maps.

The software update was covered under my CPO and the maps cost me a little over $450.

Interestingly, when I got the car back, the Bose system was malfunctioning. Turns out the software update broke the AMP which they later replaced under the CPO program. FYI, the new AMP and software made a HUGE improvement in sound quality.

You will learn that the A8 is equipped with very complex technology and many dealer shops don't fully understand all of the systems. You have to take charge and do your own research. It also helps to have at least a fair understanding of software, computers and networks.

Once you get your head wrapped around that part, there are a lot of undocumented features you can unlock and manipulate on your own that not even your dealer knows about. For example, did you know that your 2011 Audi MMI system is capable of running Audi Connect and Google maps? With a Ross-Tech Vagcom cable, a laptop, free VCDS software, an AMI to USB cable, a cheap portable wireless router and and a $5 USB hub, I was able to do this...

Audi Connect Menu

Google Street View (Google Maps)

Audi Connect.

There are 30+ other tweaks you can make to your MMI green engineering menu and VCDS software and a laptop. It's very easy and the procedures are all well documented in the Audi World and Audizine forums.

Happy tinkering!
Old 09-01-2015, 04:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that info. I bypassed my dealer and just called the number on Audi's website for their estore that sold the nav updates. They transferred from person to person each telling me that nav updates were impossible for my car.

I tried to get my MMI software updated several times at the dealer when in for other service, and each time when I got my car back the service sheet stated the MMI was up to date. I even told them that the Bose system was unacceptable and I wanted an update to see if it would help. They told me sure, no problem, yet I still have the original software that came with the car.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
Or just use an iPad or iPhone, and never have to pay for updates at all.

Waze is free, and even tells you where the cops are hiding.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Or just use an iPad or iPhone, and never have to pay for updates at all.

Waze is free, and even tells you where the cops are hiding.
Maybe where you live those work fine. Where I live, not true. As an example, my daughter got lost a couple of weeks ago trying to drive home after dark and ended up in an area where there was no cell phone reception. She was panicked until she got to where there was reception and then she didn't have any idea where she was or how to get back home in the dark.

Phone may be OK some places, but not everywhere.

Quick Reply: Has anyone updated their nav data?