A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone updated their nav data?

Old 09-02-2015, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
Maybe where you live those work fine. Where I live, not true. As an example, my daughter got lost a couple of weeks ago trying to drive home after dark and ended up in an area where there was no cell phone reception. She was panicked until she got to where there was reception and then she didn't have any idea where she was or how to get back home in the dark.

Phone may be OK some places, but not everywhere.
Tell your daughter to ditch whatever she is using now and install HERE Maps and download the map of your entire state to the phone for offline use. It's free! I personally prefer the integrated nature of the MMI when driving my own car, however when I travel domestically or internationally I use my smartphone with HERE Maps and HERE Drive+. I download the maps of the countries or states I'm visiting and never have to worry about losing cell coverage or data roaming. There are other third-party apps with offline capabilities, but most cost money. It always gets me when folks recommend Waze, Google Maps or Apple Maps. They must never go far from metropolitan areas with excellent cell coverage. Most road trips I do take me to remote areas with no cell coverage. We do not yet live in a time where every corner of the earth has wireless Internet coverage, so mapping apps that depend on a data connection are pretty much useless once you enter areas with no coverage. I always tease my friends with iPhones when they need me to be the lead car on one of those road trips, because their Apple Maps is dead in the water.

Last edited by superswiss; 09-02-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Workoholic
Wow, I thought my dealer was bad. Think you have me beat.

Here is a snapshot of my MMI. This is my 2011 A8L and, as you can see, 2 SD and no SIM slots. As of two months ago, it has the latest software, K0814 and maps, 6.10.2.

I bought the car CPO in January of this year. It had the original software and maps with which it originally shipped with in 2011. Think the software was P0112 and Maps were 4.X.X.

I didn't initially ask about a new maps update. I was more concerned about the software version. My dealer tried to tell me there were no software updates available for my model. After a bit of research on this and other Audi forums, I figured out my dealer would not be compensated for the roughly 2 hours of work required to update the software unless the update was applied to address another problem. The two most common problems were Bluetooth connectivity issues and the sound quality of the Bose system.

Armed with this information, I went straight to Audi of America (AOA) and complained. They got back to me in less than 24 hours. Told me there was a software update that would address my issues and offered to contact my dealer directly. A week later I had all new software and maps.

The software update was covered under my CPO and the maps cost me a little over $450.

Interestingly, when I got the car back, the Bose system was malfunctioning. Turns out the software update broke the AMP which they later replaced under the CPO program. FYI, the new AMP and software made a HUGE improvement in sound quality.

You will learn that the A8 is equipped with very complex technology and many dealer shops don't fully understand all of the systems. You have to take charge and do your own research. It also helps to have at least a fair understanding of software, computers and networks.

Once you get your head wrapped around that part, there are a lot of undocumented features you can unlock and manipulate on your own that not even your dealer knows about. For example, did you know that your 2011 Audi MMI system is capable of running Audi Connect and Google maps? With a Ross-Tech Vagcom cable, a laptop, free VCDS software, an AMI to USB cable, a cheap portable wireless router and and a $5 USB hub, I was able to do this...

Audi Connect Menu

Google Street View (Google Maps)

Audi Connect.

There are 30+ other tweaks you can make to your MMI green engineering menu and VCDS software and a laptop. It's very easy and the procedures are all well documented in the Audi World and Audizine forums.

Happy tinkering!
Wow, your 2011 has Audi Connect. Mine does not and I wonder if that was an optional feature on 2011 cars. Does anyone else with a 2011 have Audi Connect?
Old 09-04-2015, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

It was an option in 2011, it later became standard. All mmi's are setup for it, but it is deactivated in cars without a sim card slot, because it relies on wireless networks to get it's data. Workaholic has found a way to use external hardware to provide that, but I don't see it as being worth the trouble for most people. I have documented quite a few of the other tweaks with VCDS that he refers to, check my signature for the link if you are curious.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
It was an option in 2011, it later became standard. All mmi's are setup for it, but it is deactivated in cars without a sim card slot, because it relies on wireless networks to get it's data. Workaholic has found a way to use external hardware to provide that, but I don't see it as being worth the trouble for most people. I have documented quite a few of the other tweaks with VCDS that he refers to, check my signature for the link if you are curious.
Thanks for the info Jack88.
Workaholic, how did you add Audi Connect to your car?
Old 09-04-2015, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MMI Hacked Google Maps and Audi Connect

Originally Posted by Jack88
Unfortunately the 3G + was not an option in the US until late 2011 build dates. I believe Europe received the MMI 3G+ with Audi connect a few months earlier than the US.

My2011 build date was 10/30/2010 and did not have it. However, through a bit of research and some tinkering I figured out the following:
  1. Russians possess amazing hacking skills (Truly wish or governments got along better).
  2. Most of the necessary hardware was already present in my2011 3G system. The only things missing were:
    • SIM card slot in between the two SD card slots.
    • Newer MMI software version. In my case it required updating to the latest version - K0814. However, I believe older versions going back to 07XX will also work.
  3. I could get this working with roughly $120 (US) in additional equipment and there would be no body panels to remove or physical modifications needed to the car.
Equipment needed:
  1. Audi issue AMI to USB Cable (part #4F0051510Q) - $69
  2. Any cheap two or three port USB hub - $5.
  3. TrendNet TU2-ET 100 USB to Ethernet adapter - $13.
  4. TP-Link TL-MR3040 configured in WISP mode - $30
  5. Your WiFi Hotspot enabled mobile phone 
With a little Velcro, everything fits in one neat little bundle in the center console leaving plenty of storage room.

After setting up the router to access your phone’s WiFi hotspot you run a small script downloaded to an SD card and then enable certain settings in the green engineering menus of your MMI. Reboot everything and you are rolling with Google maps, Google street view, online destination, online points of interest, Audi connect local information services and Music streaming via WiFi.

This is a gross over simplification of the procedure but it really is not hard. I’ve been meaning to do a detailed write up of the steps to get this working but just haven’t had the time. I’ll start another thread at that point.

There are a few things that don’t work. For example, nobody has figured out how to enable an on-line Audi connect account for a pre-2012 car. This would allow you to send destination information from your home computer to your NAV via the Audi Connect Website. To register your car you must enter your VIN # or the EIS # of your SIM card. It won’t accept a VIN# that does not show in Audi’s database as having shipped with a 3G+ system (pre-2012 model in the US). Frankly, I don’t really miss it since voice recognition and online destination search in the car works so well.

Last edited by Workoholic; 09-04-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Workoholic
Unfortunately the 3G + was not an option in the US until late 2011 build dates. I believe Europe received the MMI 3G+ with Audi connect a few months earlier than the US.

My2011 build date was 10/30/2010 and did not have it. However, through a bit of research and some tinkering I figured out the following:
  1. Russians possess amazing hacking skills (Truly wish or governments got along better).
  2. Most of the necessary hardware was already present in my2011 3G system. The only things missing were:
    • SIM card slot in between the two SD card slots.
    • Newer MMI software version. In my case it required updating to the latest version - K0814. However, I believe older versions going back to 07XX will also work.
  3. I could get this working with roughly $120 (US) in additional equipment and there would be no body panels to remove or physical modifications needed to the car.
Equipment needed:
  1. Audi issue AMI to USB Cable (part #4F0051510Q) - $69
  2. Any cheap two or three port USB hub - $5.
  3. TrendNet TU2-ET 100 USB to Ethernet adapter - $13.
  4. TP-Link TL-MR3040 configured in WISP mode - $30
  5. Your WiFi Hotspot enabled mobile phone 
With a little Velcro, everything fits in one neat little bundle in the center console leaving plenty of storage room.

After setting up the router to access your phone’s WiFi hotspot you run a small script downloaded to an SD card and then enable certain settings in the green engineering menus of your MMI. Reboot everything and you are rolling with Google maps, Google street view, online destination, online points of interest, Audi connect local information services and Music streaming via WiFi.

This is a gross over simplification of the procedure but it really is not hard. I’ve been meaning to do a detailed write up of the steps to get this working but just haven’t had the time. I’ll start another thread at that point.

There are a few things that don’t work. For example, nobody has figured out how to enable an on-line Audi connect account for a pre-2012 car. This would allow you to send destination information from your home computer to your NAV via the Audi Connect Website. To register your car you must enter your VIN # or the EIS # of your SIM card. It won’t accept a VIN# that does not show in Audi’s database as having shipped with a 3G+ system (pre-2012 model in the US). Frankly, I don’t really miss it since voice recognition and online destination search in the car works so well.
That is simply amazing Workoholic, I am impressed with what you have done. I am very interested in a detailed write up of the steps to get this working. Thank you!
Old 09-10-2015, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i also have a 2011 with no sim card slot and had given up on this a LOOONG time ago, i have been in the hidden menu .... have a VAG cable and have done all my mods ...NOT THIS ONE ....And i want to do it, the script to the SD card ?, the settings in the green menu ? PLEASE post for eveyone ....

Thank you
Old 09-13-2015, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had the MMI firmware updated last week to the K0814. I don't really notice any difference at this point. I asked about the Nav update and they said to wait about a month as a whole new version is being released in October.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

please post some details .... i have tried and can't make it work
Old 10-14-2015, 11:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This one work?: Audi 3GP MMI Onlineservices Retrofit-Kit, ONTIKA Automotive Ltd.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone updated their nav data?