A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hmm... ACC alignment issue? Strange happenings...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hmm... ACC alignment issue? Strange happenings...

So, the dealer looked at the ACC and said it was out of alignment because the assembly was loose. They tightened it down back into place and said an alignment may cure the error, but they recommend replacing the ACC assembly to be sure. $2100 for the assembly and $400 for the alignment. Their words: "the error message will persist until it's aligned and functional."

Well, ****.

So I get back to the car and start it up -- the ACC and brake guard are now available again. No persistent error message at vehicle start either.

Ehhh... what? LOL! We'll see how long this lasts.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They are ridiculously sensitive - you should see the rig they align it with.
Ask to watch through the SA area window to the bays if you have to get it aligned.

Hope you don't have to though!

And don't let them just change parts - that's not acceptable unless the alignment doesn't work or the their is a repeatable DTC in an AutoScan.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jakematic
They are ridiculously sensitive - you should see the rig they align it with.
Ask to watch through the SA area window to the bays if you have to get it aligned.

Hope you don't have to though!

And don't let them just change parts - that's not acceptable unless the alignment doesn't work or the their is a repeatable DTC in an AutoScan.
Love you guys... Second opinions rock. I'll be doing some road driving tomorrow and I'll give it a more thorough test.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I actually pussied out and was afraid to test the thing until today when I took a longer trip (200 miles)...

With baited breath, I stared at the "ACC: off" as I reached down and flipped the cruise stalk forward. "ACC: standby" was the message I saw. I maneuvered the vehicle into position to enable cruise and pressed the "set" button at the end of the stalk.

ACC came on. I dialed in the speed limit and cruised the whole 200 miles. Distance settings worked, the visual distance display on the Driver Assistance screen was accurate. Completely uneventful.

I'd say that the sensor package is working and is within alignment specs for the time being. Dodged a bullet with that one!

BONUS: According to the computer, I averaged 30.2 mpg on this trip. Unbelievable!

Last edited by needles; 09-15-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by needles
So, the dealer looked at the ACC and said it was out of alignment because the assembly was loose. They tightened it down back into place and said an alignment may cure the error, but they recommend replacing the ACC assembly to be sure. $2100 for the assembly and $400 for the alignment. Their words: "the error message will persist until it's aligned and functional."

Well, ****.

So I get back to the car and start it up -- the ACC and brake guard are now available again. No persistent error message at vehicle start either.

Ehhh... what? LOL! We'll see how long this lasts.
What made you go to the dealer? Did it give you an error or was it just acting unusual?
Old 09-21-2014, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wordsworth03
What made you go to the dealer? Did it give you an error or was it just acting unusual?
There's another thread about it here:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...mpact-2871105/

Regardless, the ACC everything else seems to be working fine now. Dealer was trying to, possibly, scam me for a new ACC sensor.