A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 07-13-2016, 10:20 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Homelink programming troubles...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homelink programming troubles...

Been trying to get Homelink to program and I can't seem to get this sucker to do anything at all.

Car in park, engine off but accessory is on.

I select button I, II, or III and it asks me if I want to program the buttons, I select 'yes'. It tells me to go and press the remote button below the driver's side headlight. I do this, but I don't see any activity in the car or on the hazard lights.

Garage door opener is nothing special, just a typical one you'd find in any apartment complex. My wife's Nissan Juke and my previous Infiniti vehicles never had issues...

I must be missing a step here. Anyone?
Old 08-21-2014, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You probably have a newer rolling code GDO like I do.
There is a button you have to press on the back of the opener some times.

More info here: http://www.homelink.com/program/process/1

Mine sadly won't pick up my gate remote as it does not transmit long enough
Old 08-21-2014, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Arrow

Originally Posted by needles
Been trying to get Homelink to program and I can't seem to get this sucker to do anything at all.

Car in park, engine off but accessory is on.

I select button I, II, or III and it asks me if I want to program the buttons, I select 'yes'. It tells me to go and press the remote button below the driver's side headlight. I do this, but I don't see any activity in the car or on the hazard lights.

Garage door opener is nothing special, just a typical one you'd find in any apartment complex. My wife's Nissan Juke and my previous Infiniti vehicles never had issues...

I must be missing a step here. Anyone?
I just programmed three doors into mine and it was a bit tricky but with some patience i got it. Push I II or III button in your car and when the MMI screen tells you to, take remote to the drivers side headlight and depress the remote button and hold it down for about 15 seconds. Must hold down. After 10-15 seconds the drivers side turn signal lamp will (should!) illuminate/flash three times. When you go back to the car you have to hit the I II or III button again 2 times...(my 2015 S8 mmi said to hit two times) I found that when you push this button on the ceiling, you must push and hold it for about 3 seconds both times for it to work.

I have a Liftmaster brand openr with a rolling code remote opener and it worked NO PROBLEM on three doors...Good luck
Old 08-21-2014, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a bad Homelink module the dealer had to replace under warranty. The car was built with a bad one. Once replaced, it worked like a charm. I think the module is in the trunk area IIRC.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:07 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ledfoot69
I just programmed three doors into mine and it was a bit tricky but with some patience i got it. Push I II or III button in your car and when the MMI screen tells you to, take remote to the drivers side headlight and depress the remote button and hold it down for about 15 seconds. Must hold down. After 10-15 seconds the drivers side turn signal lamp will (should!) illuminate/flash three times. When you go back to the car you have to hit the I II or III button again 2 times...(my 2015 S8 mmi said to hit two times) I found that when you push this button on the ceiling, you must push and hold it for about 3 seconds both times for it to work.

I have a Liftmaster brand openr with a rolling code remote opener and it worked NO PROBLEM on three doors...Good luck
That sounds very similar to my experience, I did not have the patience to figure it out so ended up trying many times and after a while it just worked.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

I finally got it sorted... The documentation in the manual is an darn joke!

I followed some of the steps from another post:

1. To to program the desired button.
2. Stand outside and hold the remote's button down.
3. Go press the "Learn" button on the opener itself.
4. Get into the car and press and hold the Homelink button. You'll see the lights on the opener flash once to signal it has "paired" with a new remote.
5. Profit.

My opener is a Liftmaster variety. No idea what model. I just made it up as I went along.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by needles
I finally got it sorted... The documentation in the manual is an darn joke!

I followed some of the steps from another post:

1. To to program the desired button.
2. Stand outside and hold the remote's button down.
3. Go press the "Learn" button on the opener itself.
4. Get into the car and press and hold the Homelink button. You'll see the lights on the opener flash once to signal it has "paired" with a new remote.
5. Profit.
That's exactly what I did - sorry I couldn't remember the steps.
It's been over 2 years, which seems like an eternity LOL
Old 10-31-2014, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

I too am having an issue trying to program my garage opener. I did program my complex main gate no problems. I have pressed the remote button for more that 15 seconds but the hazard lights never light up. It's really annoying and I don't know what else to try. I can't even get to the step to press the learn button since the car never seems to take the initial remote from the button press. Have held it long enough that the garage door fully opened and still kept the button pressed for another 10 seconds or so...nada.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am hoping that someone can help me with this. I tried in an A8 loaner and couldn't get it to work either, so I am obviously doing something wrong, even though I had no problem doing the exact same thing on my wife's Q7.

So, here is what I am doing.

Pressing and holding button #2 on the homelink unit in the A8.
MMI asks if I want to program button #2. I answer yes.
MMI states to point garage remote at the bumper under drivers side front light.
I do this and I never get the hazard lights to flash. I have stood there with the button depressed for well over 20 seconds and nothing at all

The garage is a rolling code but I just cannot get this to program at all. Like I said above, tried with an A8 loaner and had the exact same issue. So, why am I not getting the hazard lights to flash and acknowledge the remote? I believe this needs to happen before I can move ahead and program the rolling code piece of this.

The garage opener is only 4 years old and it works fine with the Q7.

Would appreciate any help on this as this is driving me nuts, and it should be simple.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Dave-S4FL
Would appreciate any help on this as this is driving me nuts, and it should be simple.
Are you pressing the button on the back of the opener itself ?
Mine has rolling codes and needed that to put it in pairing mode.

http://www.homelink.com/program/process/1

Quick Reply: Homelink programming troubles...