A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you like blind side detection system?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
I don't think they are inaccurate. I don't know how other manufacturers do them, but there are two things that factor into whether the system alerts you or not. One is distance and the other is rate of approach. The system alerts if there is a car already in or near your blind spot, but it also alerts if there is a car that's not yet near your blind spot, but is driving faster than you and therefore is approaching your blind spot and could be in it by the time you are changing the lane. A lot of people have difficulty judging speed. It regularly happens to me that somebody is changing into my lane as I'm approaching. They clearly didn't judge my speed correctly and changed directly into my path.
Inaccurate might be not quite the right word, I guess it's accurate based on the logic of the system. My sense is that it is not a good system, flawed logic, not as useful in real world as it could or should be. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngerstman
... I've been so disappointed in the system that I called my Audi salesman yesterday to have him check if it could be adjusted, which he said no to. Thanks for the feedback. Regards. Ned.
Dealer response: yada, yada, yada.

Start with, it is well known you often have to "align" these and other systems after an accident/body work. So, how would he know if it was aligned right to start with from the factory? IIRC, I mentioned this whole notion/practical cross check when you posted on this previously. The system will also report an error if it is out of whack. But in turn presumably there is a permitted range to the spec before it reports an error, so that doesn't give comfort it is actually fully dialed in unless it is tested. Net, sub par, uninformed answer, just based on the basic knowledge they need alignment at times.

For a deeper dive, have at it. See below. Not that I would have any idea of nuances here, but presumably what service/alignment can work with if they cared/ there was a real issue. If I can see it w/ VCDS, they can certainly see that, and probably have their self guided diagnostics layer for techs on top.

Pardon my French, but you done got blown off, whether ignorant or what ever. It is a technical area, but welcome to standard modern car electronics, even on a Hyundai, commodity Ford or Chevy these days.

As an aside BTW for others who are into the VCDS suspension height mod, if you go either go bonkers on the adjustment or start to play with the rake a lot, may need to think about secondary effects too, or at least watch if an electronic nanny seems to act up more. Notice how body height is spec'ed at each corner. Could also come up with ACC. In practice, no issues on mine with some modest modding (including slight differential tweaking that would change rake a bit). Nor on D3 that also had ACC though not side assist.
Attached Thumbnails How do you like blind side detection system?-fullsizerender-11.jpg  

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-17-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Psy Wagon
I think it is fine. Like how the light is at the inner mirror housing instead of some light on the mirror itself.

Can't tell.. but it seems that if a car is approaching fast it goes off sooner? Kinda neat if so.
Yes, it does look at speed of approach as well as vehicle position. Explained in the owner's manual section for side assist.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Disabling POP is no big deal to me on my V1's. Like you I'm in CA, so I already mod the detector settings as std. practice to disable things like X band that isn't used AFAIK, except for the annoying door opener stuff.

Blind spot detectors are sensors in bumper area. As mentioned, indicator is separate from mirror. Not like ones built into mirror like on various other makes. Thus mirror expense is driven by combo of heated and antidazzle/dimming. Shouldn't have anything to do with blind spot detection w/ way Audi implements. But I have also found Euro style mirror glass is available via various Euro EBays for rational prices. I just do passenger side; driver's one gets somewhat distracting for me optically.

Nonetheless, I am likewise a big believer in mirror-signal-blindspot from basic driver's training, day 1. And unfortunately increasingly in CA I see people who turn on signal (maybe) simultaneously while changing lanes directly beside me, and think somehow that's okay to just blow into car beside. Net, I take this system as just an add on aid to lots of situational awareness. Blindspot system will also wave you off in tighter situations where reality of traffic and vehicle spacing allow you to fit cleanly if needed and hopefully not obnoxiously. Same with over reliance on rear back up cameras (or people who use inside mirror for same idea)--always turn head and body around. A helpful add on, but I have seen lots of situations already (and out to lunch drivers) where due to movement or angles involved from sides, the camera or mirror routine alone may not pick up the issue--kids, pets, pedestrians, carts, wheelchairs, lots of stuff.
Thanks for the info... yes I previously have adjusted my V1 accordingly. But, as you know its a notch filter, so that is now an artificial "blind spot" in an otherwise superior radar detector. The philosophy around these systems is that they add safety... my fear is that they replace attentiveness.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Dealer response: yada, yada, yada.

Start with, it is well known you often have to "align" these and other systems after an accident/body work. So, how would he know if it was aligned right to start with from the factory? IIRC, I mentioned this whole notion/practical cross check when you posted on this previously. The system will also report an error if it is out of whack. But in turn presumably there is a permitted range to the spec before it reports an error, so that doesn't give comfort it is actually fully dialed in unless it is tested. Net, sub par, uninformed answer, just based on the basic knowledge they need alignment at times.

For a deeper dive, have at it. See below. Not that I would have any idea of nuances here, but presumably what service/alignment can work with if they cared/ there was a real issue. If I can see it w/ VCDS, they can certainly see that, and probably have their self guided diagnostics layer for techs on top.

Pardon my French, but you done got blown off, whether ignorant or what ever. It is a technical area, but welcome to standard modern car electronics, even on a Hyundai, commodity Ford or Chevy these days.

As an aside BTW for others who are into the VCDS suspension height mod, if you go either go bonkers on the adjustment or start to play with the rake a lot, may need to think about secondary effects too, or at least watch if an electronic nanny seems to act up more. Notice how body height is spec'ed at each corner. Could also come up with ACC. In practice, no issues on mine with some modest modding (including slight differential tweaking that would change rake a bit). Nor on D3 that also had ACC though not side assist.
The reason I brought this up today is because after being down in Florida where the new s8 resides, I'm back up in nj where my Mercedes lives and after living with the blind spot system on the Audi for the last month, the comparison with my e550 is stark. The Mercedes system just works far better, it seams in flawlessly with the driving experience, helps exactly as you'd want it to, no false positives, one red triangle light that flashes as someone approaches the rear of your car and then turns solid red as they enter your side space, none of the frenetic stuff I get with the s8. It just works. If you had a good functioning system you'd know what I mean. And when I get back down to Florida in 10 days I will take it to Audi service to get checked. Regards. Ned.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like mine I don't get that many false lights, I like the way the light stays on until you are passed a vehicle then when it goes off you can pull in, mind you I'm fine without it, done thousands of miles in a 38 ton HGV.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Panerai197
I like mine I don't get that many false lights, I like the way the light stays on until you are passed a vehicle then when it goes off you can pull in, mind you I'm fine without it, done thousands of miles in a 38 ton HGV.
Agree; mine functions quite well and no false lights in 3 plus years. Saved me from switching lanes improperly several times. My son-in-law's MB S550 is good too but not any better than my A8L.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BigBoy11
Agree; mine functions quite well and no false lights in 3 plus years. Saved me from switching lanes improperly several times. My son-in-law's MB S550 is good too but not any better than my A8L.
That's encouraging. After mostly negative responses, a bunch of thumbs up! This has not been my experience so far but it will inspire me to go to Audi service to get it checked out. Mine as currently functioning gets a lot of false positives, inferior to any blind spot detection system I've driven with. I'll be back in Florida next week and head to Audi and report back. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngerstman
That's encouraging. After mostly negative responses, a bunch of thumbs up! This has not been my experience so far but it will inspire me to go to Audi service to get it checked out. Mine as currently functioning gets a lot of false positives, inferior to any blind spot detection system I've driven with. I'll be back in Florida next week and head to Audi and report back. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
If it helps, Ned, mine had a lot of false positives and they said a software update to the module would help. It did nothing. The unit itself was the problem, so if they make the same suggestion, bear in mind that you'll probably have the same result. Kind of like how they always want to reprogram the motor mounts before replacing the downpipes and it never helps.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
If it helps, Ned, mine had a lot of false positives and they said a software update to the module would help. It did nothing. The unit itself was the problem, so if they make the same suggestion, bear in mind that you'll probably have the same result. Kind of like how they always want to reprogram the motor mounts before replacing the downpipes and it never helps.
With any luck, your experience with the 2011 model might be different with the newer models. Hope springs eternal. Regards. Ned.

Quick Reply: How do you like blind side detection system?