A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I guess not a good start to new year...

Old 01-19-2015, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Yeah, the Xpel might have prevented the paint damage, but probably not the ding. It does have me thinking about wrapping the hood , since there is a lot of front real estate on these A8s.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Yeah, the Xpel might have prevented the paint damage, but probably not the ding. It does have me thinking about wrapping the hood , since there is a lot of front real estate on these A8s.
I just got a quote for $1450 for a full hood, fender and mirror wrap. I doubt the wrap on the mirrors for the S8 will work, but I'll see.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravill
I just got a quote for $1450 for a full hood, fender and mirror wrap. I doubt the wrap on the mirrors for the S8 will work, but I'll see.
Not work on the mirrors in what respect?
Old 01-21-2015, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mirrors on the S8 are a "satin" like silver finish. It seems that wrapping them would make them glossy.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone tell me how to make a new post ? Sorry I'm new here 😒 lol
Old 01-21-2015, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ravill
The mirrors on the S8 are a "satin" like silver finish. It seems that wrapping them would make them glossy.
The Xpel wrap does not seem to alter the original color or add a gloss to the regular metallic paint but I am not familiar with the finish on the S8 mirrors. They certainly look different in photos.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So what was the final verdict on the repair job?
Old 01-24-2015, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BigBoy11
So what was the final verdict on the repair job?
The small dent is completely gone and the color match looked very good in direct sunlight. With crystal--and probably pearl--effect paint finishes, the (very expensive) tint application is crucial and it appears it was done properly on the repair. I can see a very slight difference in depth of color between the hood and narrow upper front fender edges under my garage's fluorescent lighting, but I expected that since there is currently no protective coating applied to the hood beyond the clear coat---I was told to allow the new paint finish to cure and not to use any wax, quartz or ceramic nano-glass coating on the hood for at least 30 days. Once I detail the hood with the same Pinnacle Black Lable products (polish, ceramic coating and Synergy wax) as were previously used on all the car's surfaces just a few days prior to the rock incident, I'm confident that the hood's color depth and wet glossy look will undoubtedly match the other body panels. I can't wait!!!
Old 01-24-2015, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The small dent is completely gone and the color match looked very good in direct sunlight. With crystal--and probably pearl--effect paint finishes, the (very expensive) tint application is crucial and it appears it was done properly on the repair. I can see a very slight difference in depth of color between the hood and narrow upper front fender edges under my garage's fluorescent lighting, but I expected that since there is currently no protective coating applied to the hood beyond the clear coat---I was told to allow the new paint finish to cure and not to use any wax, quartz or ceramic nano-glass coating on the hood for at least 30 days. Once I detail the hood with the same Pinnacle Black Lable products (polish, ceramic coating and Synergy wax) as were previously used on all the car's surfaces just a few days prior to the rock incident, I'm confident that the hood's color depth and wet glossy look will undoubtedly match the other body panels. I can't wait!!!
Fluorescent light can be deceiving so if it looks good in direct sunlight, you are likely correct that getting the same products applied will make it look even better! My experiences with paint matching has been mixed; rarely exact so glad to hear the result is promising.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BigBoy11
Fluorescent light can be deceiving so if it looks good in direct sunlight, you are likely correct that getting the same products applied will make it look even better! My experiences with paint matching has been mixed; rarely exact so glad to hear the result is promising.
The interesting thing about Panther Black is that it has multiple personalities---depending on what is being reflected off the paint. So far I've seen it range between amythist, green, gray green, black, gray and cayenne---often with varying hues within the same color range...and generally all at the same time on different body panels. The look is rarely consistent from one section to the next, depending on the reflected light; often with color and hue variations on the same body panel. When this occurs, color matching is a non-issue. As the pic below shows, even in the body shop garage with fluorescent lights the variations in color and hue are apparent.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I guess not a good start to new year...