A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPhone 6 OEM Cable?

Old 04-26-2016, 07:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone 6 OEM Cable?

Varied threads on this so can anyone confirm that this part is the "correct" version of the OEM iPhone lighting > MMI cable?

4F0-051-510-AL

AppleŽ lightning cable | Genuine Audi | 4F0-051-510-AL

I asked my dealer and they are like "ummmmmm, we'll look into it...."
Old 04-26-2016, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Looks right. I'm not a fan of this interface. While plugged in, you can't use your phone as a phone, nor can you have bluetooth going at the same time. For me, I just want a power tap for that spot.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ImpartialFocus
Looks right. I'm not a fan of this interface. While plugged in, you can't use your phone as a phone, nor can you have bluetooth going at the same time. For me, I just want a power tap for that spot.
I have a battery case for my iPhone 6 that charges via USB. I'm thinking of getting the USB version of the cable to charge but then connect via Bluetooth for phone/music streaming. Sound like that will work?
Old 04-26-2016, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

FWIW, I wouldn't and don't do any of this with currently used phone. Just find any OLD iPod or iPhone. 40 pin, Lightning, whatever. Dime a dozen in people's drawers, kids hand me downs or other places. Find a later one to get 32 or 64G if needed. Cracked screen, doesn't matter. Subpar battery, doesn't matter. Etc.

Then just write to it at high bit rate as a second device from iTunes. Slave device and done and good. Also, cable it.

Other approach is variously the classic one size fits all/none; jack of all trades, master of none; soggy pizza in microwave or 5 other analogies. Variously, the sound quality of A2DP is not as good as cabling, especially if you push bit rates up; high bit rates take more memory and then are competing with all your other phone memory uses; leave phone in car plugged in (BTDT) and best case you later go searching for it or feel naked in the xyz meeting with out it; or worse, leave phone plugged in and it's is an invite to thieves to both steal your phone and cause serious damage to your ride that takes time to fix, costs a deductible, etc; and, can use separate phone bluetooth as phone and not be hung up with A2DP. Probably more too, but thats a bunch of reasons it's warming over lousy pizza in the microwave.

Basically I regard A2DP as for guests using car with their music. Hard cabling your phone to the car is returning to a variant of the hard wired phone in a phone booth. Hard cable with throw away old i device dedicated to tunes is a better solution for a variety of reasons. Or, if you are in Android world, same idea.

Finally, bonus points if you load it to the SD card stuff for slots. I have never been convinced of that myself since iTunes is easy, I know it, and my sense is directory structure with cards takes some work/maintenance.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-26-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Bought one through Amazon Prime, should be here tomorrow so I'll post my review/thoughts on it. As stated in the other thread, a USB tap would be the ideal solution....
Old 04-27-2016, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I do a 1000 miles a week in my MY15 3.0t Exec Sport and listen to Audio books most of the time but also Deezer/Amazon Music/Spotify so I only ever use Bluetooth streaming.

I could put Audiobooks on an old iPod but I burn through them at such a rate I'd need to be syncing and stuff regularly plus an old iPod doesn't offer any of the Apps.

So, I use the USB connector end with an iPhone cable and plug my phone in every time I get in the car then control my audio from there.

This usually means starting a book before I set off or starting a playlist before I set off ( which I can track forward and back via the car controls )

I do get an error on the screen when the car starts up as my phone is connected via the cable and Bluetooth but i just cancel it.

The MMI audio connectivity is so behind other German cars, my mate has a 5 Series that has Music apps built right in plus when streaming via Bluetooth can control his phone like we can control a connected iPod including full album artwork

None of this helps your original question but I believe the cable you need is the one with a Yellow grommet

Si
Old 04-27-2016, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My '12 CPO came with the cable for the old 30-pin style. On Amazon, I was able to find a 30-pin to lightning adapter and lightning extension cable. This solution works well on my iPhone 6s Plus (and worked on my 6 as well).

Direct connect audio and charging work fine - and bluetooth calls will properly interrupt anything in progress.

I did have a small issue on my 6. Sometimes, the phone would indicate that an unsupported device was attached. Un/Re plugging would fix this. I haven't seen this on the 6s.