A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got a 2012 A8 NWB.. Audi service centers SUCK!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 04:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just got a 2012 A8 NWB.. Audi service centers SUCK!

Very nice driving car, has the sports pack with the 20s and sports differential... 37k miles, still under warranty until 2016.

The car has Audi care which has maintenance covered until 60k.. Does anyone know if brakes are covered? Audi dealer says no.

Took car in for its 35k, complained about rough idle at cold start, complained about bluetooth cutting out so they could update the MMI, complained about a harsh 2-3 upshift when cold.. they didn't fix anything and gave the car back to me. BS

"Sir this car needs a carbon deposit cleaning which is not covered by warranty".... IT HAS MULTIPLE MISFIRE CODES IN THE ECM, AND YET THEY DONT WANT TO CARBON CLEAN THEIR FLAWED ENGINE?!

They said the bluetooth cuts out bc of my iPhone 6 and apple products send too much info to the MMI via bluetooth, get a different phone... sorry we can't update MMI without codes in the ECM.

The transmission is also of course 100% normal... thats some BS also, they didn't even try to readapt the trans, just said the rough shift sometimes is normal...

Is audi service really this bad elsewhere? Does everyone here have the quattro growl at full turns also?
Old 05-30-2015, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Nimski, I don't know what country you are writing from, but brakes are not covered here.

It seems many (in the USA) have had AoA financially participate in the carbon clean up problem.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Brakes are definitely not covered, since they are not part of any maintenance schedule, they are replaced as needed.

I've had bluetooth cut out a couple times, still haven't updated MMI. Mine's outside of warranty, so I have to pay for it. To say they can't update the MMI is a cop out to get out of warranty work they don't get much for. Lots of people have had their's updated.

The rough 2-3 shift is normal, apparently. It's most prominent cold, but exists at all times when accelerating from specific low speeds at a specific rate. I have it, and so do a lot of other people. I don't know if a solution exists.

I have the quattro growl, and while I noticed it more when I first got the car, I soon got used to it. It doesn't rear up often, and it's fairly subtle.

As far as the misfire, they are absolutely on the hook to fix anything broken. If the car needs a carbon cleaning at 35k, I think something else may be up with it to cause those issues on such a low mileage car.

I'd take it to a different service center, if you can. From what you've said, I wouldn't trust this one. Otherwise, Audi of America is who you contact when you have problems with service.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by nimski62
Very nice driving car, has the sports pack with the 20s and sports differential... 37k miles, still under warranty until 2016.

The car has Audi care which has maintenance covered until 60k.. Does anyone know if brakes are covered? Audi dealer says no.

Took car in for its 35k, complained about rough idle at cold start, complained about bluetooth cutting out so they could update the MMI, complained about a harsh 2-3 upshift when cold.. they didn't fix anything and gave the car back to me. BS

"Sir this car needs a carbon deposit cleaning which is not covered by warranty".... IT HAS MULTIPLE MISFIRE CODES IN THE ECM, AND YET THEY DONT WANT TO CARBON CLEAN THEIR FLAWED ENGINE?!

They said the bluetooth cuts out bc of my iPhone 6 and apple products send too much info to the MMI via bluetooth, get a different phone... sorry we can't update MMI without codes in the ECM.

The transmission is also of course 100% normal... thats some BS also, they didn't even try to readapt the trans, just said the rough shift sometimes is normal...

Is audi service really this bad elsewhere? Does everyone here have the quattro growl at full turns also?
Mine also idles rough at cold startup when revs are up, after about a minute of run time, it idles down and smooths out nice. Seems to be normal with Audi's direct injected vehicles. I'm sure the intake ports are not plugged yet as the power would be way down, and mine goes like a rapped ape!

Dealer updated my very early MMI to the latest 715 version in my 2011 and I have noticed no added features or highlights. Your not missing anything there.

I read what many consider to be a harsh downshift, but never heard of a harsh upshift. I also have what many would consider a harsh downshift but that would not be an accurate description. Sometimes when coming off the throttle and getting back into it, the engines revs up and then the car decides to go, almost like driving a stick where you rev the engine up and sidestep the clutch. I think it feels more like the converter coming out of lockup or there's a sprag in the system somewhere that it coasting, then decides to hookup the power again but takes just a little too long. Weird part is my BMW 550 had the eight speed in there and it never acted like that. I appears to affect all A8's when driven a certain way. As in if you drive easy, it does not seem to show up at all. Get a little more aggressive, and that's when it shows up.

Not sure about bluetooth dropping, mine has never done that even with the early version of MMI with my iPhone 5. Sounds like you just made something up to try and get the MMI updated anyway. Audi dealers are not totally stupid to this kind of thing.

I have had Quattro growl on every Audi I have ever owned, does not seem to affect anything. After all, it is an AWD and has a Torsen differential directing power from front to back and visa versa so you will hear it working like it is and was designed to do. Go easy around corners and it quieter, apply more power and its louder and more pronounced. Normal and nothing to worry about.

Go and enjoy the car!
Old 05-30-2015, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Ah, I see how my wording was misleading. If you experience any roughness on the upshift, that's not normal and should be addressed. The relatively harsh kickdown from third to second is what I was referring to earlier.