A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Light refraction issue with rear window tinting?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Light refraction issue with rear window tinting?

Has anyone experienced night time light refraction issues with headlights in the rear view mirror from rear window? What I'm seeing is a verticle row of headlights on the horizontal rear window defroster lines, so I don't see one headlight from a car in back of me, I see a verticle row of the Same headlight, rather distracting to me. Any thoughts? Just the angle of the window? Cheaper film? It was supposed to be top grade tint from 3M. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

My A3 has it and so did my Civic. Suntek Carbon on both and different installers.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
My A3 has it and so did my Civic. Suntek Carbon on both and different installers.
So you see the same light refraction? Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngerstman
So you see the same light refraction? Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Yep, it seems to be fairly common with rear window tint.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Yep, it seems to be fairly common with rear window tint.
I find it very distracting, does the amount of tinting have any effect on the problem, less tint, less refraction? I think I'd rather have no tint than a distorted view out the back at night on busy roads. Not the best look though with other windows tinted, do have rear window sun shade however. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Yes, IIRC I mentioned this in a prior reply about film. Will happen on any vehicle where the defrost lines are on the inside of the glass and you can feel them with your finger. And no, just being direct nothing you can do about it, nor a film type/brand issue.

I saw and lived with the issue for almost 10 years on the D3 W12--after I went to a ton of work to pull the back seats and trim completely out since a lot of quality shops won't tint that window on a D3 due to access issues to the lower edge. That tint BTW was Suntek, going to point/response that brand doesn't really matter for this specific issue.

On D4, I decided specifically to try NOT tinting rear window. I mentioned that in a reply. I actually also looked at it to see if maybe just tinting it down to the edge of the first defrost line was an option to reduce some incremental heat load without starting to create the visual issues; shop said not practical. So instead, I tinted the sunroof glass, also w/ 3M Crystalline. Non pano roof on an S8, though I had already tinted pano roofs on Q5 and on Mini S so I know it worked well/fine for me. I figured it was in the zone of the same sort of heat load unless rear window is opposite sun. Then I just use the rear shade more on warmer days. I figured if it looked odd, I would just bring it back for rear window if needed. Frankly after a few weeks, never even thought about it. Contrary to your preceding reply, I found that because of the nature of tint just darkening the interior, you really don't notice anything obvious. What tint guy with a lot of experience told me even back with the D3 they had done 9 years earlier. Maybe more so if you tint sunroof some to lower interior light level a bit--if shade is even open. I also don't use super dark tint, but rely instead on the better IR rejection of a quality tint like 3M. More specifically with either a 70 or even a 50, you don't really see it (missing). I had already done the same thing omitting the tint on the Q5 rear glass, so knew what to expect--even with its much bigger pano roof and only partially obscuring roll type sunscreen approach.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-14-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Yes, I mentioned this in a prior reply about film. Will happen on any vehicle where the defrost lines are on the inside of the glass and you can feel them with your finger. And no, just being direct nothing you can do about it, nor a film type/brand issue.

I saw and lived with the issue for almost 10 years on the D3 W12--after I went to a ton of work to pull the back seats and trim completely out since a lot of quality shops won't tint that window on a D3 due to access issues to the lower edge. That tint BTW was Suntek, going to point/response that brand doesn't really matter for this specific issue.

On D4, I decided specifically to try NOT tinting rear window. I mentioned that in a reply. I actually also looked at it to see if maybe just tinting it down to the edge of the first defrost line was an option to reduce some incremental heat load without starting to create the visual issues; shop said not practical. So instead, I tinted the sunroof glass, also w/ 3M Crystalline. Non pano roof on an S8, though I had already tinted pano roofs on Q5 and on Mini S so I know it worked well/fine for me. I figured it was in the zone of the same sort of heat load unless rear window is opposite sun. Then I just use the rear shade more on warmer days. I figured if it looked odd, I would just bring it back for rear window if needed. Frankly after a few weeks, never even thought about it. Contrary to your preceding reply, I found that because of the nature of tint just darkening the interior, you really don't notice anything. Maybe more so if you tint sunroof some to lower interior light level a bit (if shade is open). I also don't use super dark tint, but rely instead on the better IR rejection of a quality tint like 3M. More specifically with either a 70 or even a 50, you don't really see it (missing). I had already done the same thing omitting the tint on the Q5 rear glass, so knew what to expect--even with its much bigger pano roof and only partially obscuring roll type sunscreen approach.
I guess that was something my tint guy should have warned me about. I used 70% on the windshield and 45% for the rest. I like the degree of tint, just right for my black car down here in Florida. I guess I'll remove the tint film from the rear window, I find it a bit dangerous, hope removing it doesn't damage the defroster wires. So it goes. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got tinting done on my A3 using dub IR 50% tint on the rear and all side windows and I got exactly the same issue on my rear view mirror. Just wonder if you ever found a solution to avoid the glare with tinted rear view window or you still do not get the rear view window tinted?

I'm going to wait a week and see if it gets better. If it doesn't I guess my options are to remove it or live with it. If I do remove it, I debating whether to remove the tint from all the windows (all sides and rear. I did not tint the windshield) or just remove the tint on the rear only. Worried that it might look inconsistent if I do that though.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Yes, IIRC I mentioned this in a prior reply about film. Will happen on any vehicle where the defrost lines are on the inside of the glass and you can feel them with your finger. And no, just being direct nothing you can do about it, nor a film type/brand issue.

On D4, I decided specifically to try NOT tinting rear window. I mentioned that in a reply. I actually also looked at it to see if maybe just tinting it down to the edge of the first defrost line was an option to reduce some incremental heat load without starting to create the visual issues; shop said not practical. So instead, I tinted the sunroof glass, also w/ 3M Crystalline. Non pano roof on an S8, though I had already tinted pano roofs on Q5 and on Mini S so I know it worked well/fine for me. I figured it was in the zone of the same sort of heat load unless rear window is opposite sun. Then I just use the rear shade more on warmer days. I figured if it looked odd, I would just bring it back for rear window if needed. Frankly after a few weeks, never even thought about it. Contrary to your preceding reply, I found that because of the nature of tint just darkening the interior, you really don't notice anything obvious. What tint guy with a lot of experience told me even back with the D3 they had done 9 years earlier. Maybe more so if you tint sunroof some to lower interior light level a bit--if shade is even open. I also don't use super dark tint, but rely instead on the better IR rejection of a quality tint like 3M. More specifically with either a 70 or even a 50, you don't really see it (missing). I had already done the same thing omitting the tint on the Q5 rear glass, so knew what to expect--even with its much bigger pano roof and only partially obscuring roll type sunscreen approach.
I just got tinting done on my A3 using dub IR 50% tint on the rear and all side windows and I got exactly the same issue on my rear view mirror. Just wonder if you ever found a solution to avoid the glare with tinted rear view window or you still do not get the rear view window tinted?

I'm going to wait a week and see if it gets better. If it doesn't I guess my options are to remove it or live with it. If I do remove it, I debating whether to remove the tint from all the windows (all sides and rear. I did not tint the windshield) or just remove the tint on the rear only. Worried that it might look inconsistent if I do that though.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by icarus two

Yep, I gave up on rear tint--for sedan type rear windows at least with a lot of slope. I will continue on that same path in future. On D4 I have 50 on rear sides, 70 0n fronts IIRC (which is hardly noticeable to eye), nothing on windshield or back window, and 70 on sunroof. Not a pano roof, but I figure since flat overall, sun load is similar to back glass at many sun angles as far as heat load reduction. The more the glass slopes in back, the worse I think the diffraction probably is. I bought a low miles Golf R last year that only had tint on the hatch for what ever reason. There it seemed less of an issue w/ diffraction with the glass somewhat more upright. I then added 70 to sides and roof--black paint and interior too so I wanted the heat load reduction.

Besides moving away from rear window, moving in favor of tinting roof has been my other main change. Especially on pano roofs I have been happy, and it doesn't change view out glass in a noticeable way to me.

FWIW, you don't particularly notice rear is not tinted when side are at a 50 type level--if you are thinking it may look odd. Hard to remove tint over defroster lines without having a pro do it, and probably the sooner the better set wise if you go that way. Within a day or so--or one session in sun basically--it always looks about the same to me.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-29-2019 at 07:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Light refraction issue with rear window tinting?