A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a 11-13' A8. Issues I should look for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking for a 11-13' A8. Issues I should look for?

Hello

I've begun my search for a nice 2011-2013 A8/4.2/SWB and wanted to check in with the collective. I'll surely be out of warranty and would like to avoid buying something for people who hate money.
Are there known issues I should be on the lookout for? Usually later models are better. Is this the case with the A8?

ATM I found a 11' 55k miles SWB that looks interesting.
Would love an S as I'm coming from a CTS-V that had a couple optional upgrades.

I’m mechanically inclined enough to dangerous and will have an independent inspection done.

Look forward to any and all feedback, comment etc.

Thanks
TL
Old 02-14-2016, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

All model years are fine, it depends on your budget. 2013 introduced the 3.0t and 4.0t, while the 4.2 disappeared. The 4.0t is much faster than the other two engines, with the 4.2 being able to outperform the 3.0t by a reasonable margin. Make sure that whatever you look at, a VCDS scan is important to check for errors. There are no major common problems to worry about. The only thing I worry about is a leaky transmission coolant valve, but there's no good way to check for this until you have the car. The sway bar links wear out around 50,000 miles, but they are cheap and easy to replace. Make sure the mmi screen comes up smoothly from the dash, any jerky motion can indicate the lift mechanism on it's way out, which requires a whole new unit to fix.

I have assumed you are in the U.S. market, but if you are elsewhere, please indicate as such, since if you are in a different market, someone else may have specific advice.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just bought a 13 A8 3.0 a few months back, love it. I don't know if they still made the SWB in 2013, i thought they stopped it completely at some point, other than the S8 maybe. Mine was $51k or so w/31k miles on it, i think. Hard to recall exactly. love the damn thing! no issues as of yet and still under warranty
Old 02-14-2016, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

They still made the SWB in 2013. They quit for 2016, I believe. I've had very few problems on mine, and it's at 68,500 miles. The darn blind spot detector keeps giving me false positives, however, so I turned it off. Visibility is quite good, anyway.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All
Thanks for the helpful and informative replies.
I'm in the US, just outside of Chicago.

[QUOTE=Jack88;24776780]All model years are fine, it depends on your budget. 2013 introduced the 3.0t and 4.0t, while the 4.2 disappeared. The 4.0t is much faster than the other two engines, with the 4.2 being able to outperform the 3.0t by a reasonable margin. QUOTE]

Jack88 thanks for pointing out the engine change. I'd love to find a 2013+ A8 4.0t, SWB with the sport package, a budget S8 if you will. From the marketing material you can pick up some serious tq/hp from a simple tune. They also state that this resolves the low speed throttle lag that just about every review points out.
However, from the brief research I've done a car like this looks to be a unicorn. Further I think this puts me out of my budget of no more than $35k. Though the right car comes along I would go a bit higher.

I did find a 2013 S6 locally. I assume this had a dual clutch gear box vs an automatic in the A8. The salesperson did not know "sigh".
Also given the miles they're pretty optimistic on the asking price.

I did go and drive the 2011 A8 SWB. I was stunned at the condition it was in given it had 50K miles. I'm told I'm painfully discerning by friends and family and I thought the paint was excellent with no major stone chips with an interior that looked new. I've purchased many cars from this dealer or more to the point this sales manager. He told me it was suburban driven by an older woman. Cliché for sure but the car speaks for itself and I trust him. My thought is that I'll pick this up so I'll have something other to drive than one of our work vans. They're the new full size Ford Transits-BTW are actually nice-I need something to decompress in and have some mild fun. If something else comes along I should be able to get out relatively unscathed given that most of the deprecation has already been realized.

I'll report back with any progress.

From the lurking I've done this looks like a great forum. No worries I'm not a 20"+ rim guy. If it doesn't increase performance I not interested.

Thanks again.

TL