A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering confirmed via VCDS

Old 01-06-2017, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What exactly is the "benefit" to lowering the car - just so the tire surround is closer to the tire and it looks more filled?

By lowering the car - doesn't that also stiffen the ride?
Old 01-06-2017, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Generally it doesn't affect ride quality much, unless you make a significant change. It's an aesthetic modification, it doesn't help anything. I thought of lowering mine, but I decided to leave it so I didn't have to worry about pulling in and out of drives.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by polo1
What exactly is the "benefit" to lowering the car - just so the tire surround is closer to the tire and it looks more filled?

On D3 where this first came out, I would call it purely aesthetic within reason. From playing with it some there, I found beyond about 10mm of dialed in drop, it did start to affect ride quality on poorly maintained freeways, especially in the most aggressive mode (Dynamic, aka Sport).
Old 01-06-2017, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

On D3 where this first came out, I would call it purely aesthetic within reason. From playing with it some there, I found beyond about 10mm of dialed in drop, it did start to affect ride quality on poorly maintained freeways, especially in the most aggressive mode (Dynamic, aka Sport). No personal experience on D4 S8 but suspect the same sort of results likely apply given system set up from D3 to D4 remains very similar.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there are more benefits to lowering a car other than for looks but those benefits are normally with coilovers having dampening systems or with struts and springs.

with air suspension systems there are no benefits other than looks with that said I'd too would like to lower mine once summer comes around and I slap a set of rims on
Old 01-08-2017, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlam1017
there are more benefits to lowering a car other than for looks but those benefits are normally with coilovers having dampening systems or with struts and springs.

with air suspension systems there are no benefits other than looks with that said I'd too would like to lower mine once summer comes around and I slap a set of rims on
????

umm anyway back to answering the original question on benefits of using vcds to lower your D4 A8 or S8 or that of any car - air suspension or conventional :

up to 35% of a car's aerodynamic drag can come from the bottom of the car - (I don't know the exact number on the Audi) - lowering helps improve that - which is why every car with dynamically leveling suspension lowers itself at high speed

lower center of gravity = improved pitch and roll comfort (dive and squat and lean)

for those reasons every car sold in Germany is aboiut 10mm lower than the same car sold in the US.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=audisession;24904735]????

LoL. i had aftermarket air on an M45 and tampered with factory air on a LS600HL. What I meant was There's a lot of flex on those cars with the air suspension I either put in or it came with and not the same as having coilovers or struts when talking about lowering it
Old 01-08-2017, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=Jlam1017;24904736]
Originally Posted by audisession
????

LoL. i had aftermarket air on an M45 and tampered with factory air on a LS600HL. What I meant was There's a lot of flex on those cars with the air suspension I either put in or it came with and not the same as having coilovers or struts when talking about lowering it
thanks for clarifying...?

Still doesn't make sense how you can say lowering makes no difference - you can't re write physics
Old 01-08-2017, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

[QUOTE=audisession;24904755]
Originally Posted by Jlam1017

thanks for clarifying...?

Still doesn't make sense how you can say lowering makes no difference - you can't re write physics
Technically speaking, it does affect aerodynamics, but I don't think that was what the original asker was looking for. It doesn't improve handling, and the improvement on gas mileage seems negligible. So, from a practical standpoint, it's an aesthetic change. So, stop giving people crap.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=Jack88;24904782]
Originally Posted by audisession

Technically speaking, it does affect aerodynamics, but I don't think that was what the original asker was looking for. It doesn't improve handling, and the improvement on gas mileage seems negligible. So, from a practical standpoint, it's an aesthetic change. So, stop giving people crap.
technicaly it affects both aerodynamics and handling because a lower center of gravity affects pitch and roll (Front to back and side to side movement) which directly affects handling

unless you have instrumented proof - non of us can claim to what degree it affects handling - so to say it's purely "aesthetic" is not accurate

as far as the "crap" you mentioned - please stop spewing crap - you have nothing to back up your statements and your "butt accelerometer and handling circuit" doesn't count.

Last edited by audisession; 01-08-2017 at 06:29 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lowering confirmed via VCDS