A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Miles between oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
If my vehicle was built in 2013 but is sold as 14 model year does this make any difference?
No. Audi builds a USA model year from May or June of the prior year to late April or so of the next year. Thus easily majority of any given model year are actually built the calendar year before. My 2015 S8 was also actually an early build near start of that year's production in 2014. Audi goes by model year; build date only matters for some parts orders where a running change was made. Since dealers try to spec parts by vIN now, they already have the exact build data when it matters.

And regardless, as I mentioned earlier, the only real change in here schedules occurred only in MY 2017 where they got rid of the first 5K miles step and shifted everything to even 10K steps. No matter which year I post up, they will otherwise read essentially the same from 2011 to 2016--for a given motor.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you for the corrected info. I did purchase Audi Care Plus. I'm wondering if this was mistake now vs just taking to a good independent shop. The dealer was giving me information that seems not to be correct.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you for the corrected info. I did purchase Audi Care Plus. I'm wondering if this was mistake now vs just taking to a good independent shop. The dealer was giving me information that seems not to be correct.
Not sure how you find a so called good independent shop. These cars are expensive enough that I am willing to potentially "overpay" to have someone who works on nothing but Audis service my vehicle. The thought of a non Audi service provider screwing something up not worth the savings to me. If they damage something it would void any warranty claim as well. regards. Ned.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I agree. I purchased it for piece of mind. Just kind of disappointed the plan was misrepresented. Like the need for 5k oil changes, just found out they cover brake pads but not rotors, and who knows what else is excluded. It's not a big deal just the typical dealer sales tactics I guess. I have used yelp and found multiple German car specialty shops with ratings far better then any Audi dealer in my area. The problem that can arise is if something got messed up they would deny the cpo coverage.

Last edited by LexusLSguy; 02-19-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Suggestion: go back to original dealer. Say (nicely) you would like to come in to talk to service manager, and maybe sales guy or manager. As an A8 customer, you tend to get better white glove. Then have a do over on exactly what you bought, what is covered and so on. If for some reason you get run around, call the Audi 800 number and get to an A8 type representative--business class, not coach if you will. Sometimes you may just get the call center script stuff, but other times they can and do intervene to make things right.

You could also have some extra priced plan in here I can't make sense of. Thus, the brake info for std. Audi or std. AudiCare (which I got for my CPO) isn't right either. Neither pads nor rotors are covered. Same with no wiper blades or tires. But, if some other needed work causes them to be screwed up, sometimes they get covered. An obvious (super long shot) one is if a brake caliper fails and fluid goes on pads, you get new pads. Or if pad physically falls apart and eats rotor, should be same result. Sometimes owners who make enough noise about squeals and such can get new pads too, or rarely rotors. But normal case is not covered for general wear. Still, you need to figure out if you were unsold some add on dealer service plan that is coming into play here.

In general, I would use your AudiCare and then fill in extra oil changes around it. A competent indy can certainly do oil changes and sometimes a lot more. But dont go to the Jiffy World crap either. All time best (worst...) post ever was the poor owner who later found the Jiffy Lube guy couldn't figure out the lower engine cover so literally demo sawed it to get to the filter and drain. Yikes! Meantime, you do need to use the factory recommended oil, which means 502/505 compliant usually. Mobil 1 0W40 is an easy example of that, or Castrol 5W-40US European Formula. Lots of others too. A good indy will know what that means. A corner gas station or Jiffy Lube will look at you like you are from Mars. And to be clear, same kind of specs apply to most Euro vehicles--Merc, BMW, Mini, Jag, VW, Porsche, etc., so it isn't just an "Audi" thing. Also know the dealer oil (Castrol Professional Grade typically) has a uv dye in it so they can check. But you are allowed to have any service you want, as long as per spec. Thus if indy, keep receipts and documentation just in case.

Meantime you need to get past know nothing sales person and finance dept. types to the service professionals. You may find that more satisfying, even at same dealer. But first, you do need to understand what you were even sold (or promised). More where a manager comes in--the one with the size 12's for good measure.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-19-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Funny about monitoring oil quality

Originally Posted by A 8
I was under the impression that the car monitors the oil quality and calculates when it needs changing. You can see it in the MMI and if you drive hard the remaining milage will go down. I know there are a few settings in vcds where you can set some of the parameters that go into the calculation.
Having said that I still change the oil every 12mth's or 15,000km which ever comes first. I usually get a range of 26,000km a few weeks after an oilchange.
I am in Europe and if I remember correctly the US market don't have the same long life oil spec.
IIRC there was a major kerfluffel with MB a few years ago when they introduced such a monitoring system to the US cars. However, it seemed the monitoring system was calibrated to euro synthetic oil, not the dino oil used by American dealers. Long and short of it is MB replaced a few engines and told American dealers to use synthetic in MB engines.
Automobile mfrs cannot by American law require a specific brand to ensure warranty coverage unless they provide the product. Warren/Magnuson Act, IIRC.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, I would never take her to a jiffy lube or this sort of shop. Well rated German specially shops is the only place I would go. I also was not told that Audi care is a non refundable program... lol. Oh well, I guess it is what it is.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, I would never take her to a jiffy lube or this sort of shop. Well rated German specially shops is the only place I would go. I also was not told that Audi care is a non refundable program... lol. Oh well, I guess it is what it is.
Well, golly, coming up all lemons here. I'm in CA where the answer on refund ability happens to be different and apparently unique. See below from the Audi USA site for AudiCare FAQ's; comes up in a weird way in a lease question, but same provisions should play out for purchased vehicles, financed or not. Also where I got that 2014 service schedule BTW: https://www.audiusa.com/help/maintenance I actually used that once on a extended warranty plan on an old Ford Taurus wagon I had bought new when Ford extended the powertrain warranty post purchase to meet competition. Got all my money back, like two years after I had first bought it. And likewise, if I had bought some kind of Audi TDI extended service or warranty plan, in CA I would likely be cancelling now if possible given either vehicles will go back or the extra warranties provided at least in drivetrain will make other owner paid warranties less valuable.

Still recommend you have a further discussion w/ dealership (or if need be Audi USA) as outlined in my prior reply #15.
Attached Thumbnails Miles between oil changes-screen-shot-2017-02-19-10.35.33-am.png  

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-19-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've heard horror stories of a lube shop stripping the threads on the oil filter connection! That would be frightening on any car let alone a warrantied car. Regards. Ned.

Last edited by Ngerstman; 02-19-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

And for the confirmation the whack stuff really happens--at least someone else's nightmare--see: Lazy Idiots At Lube Shop Cut Hole In Audi S4's Aero Pan Instead Of Removing It Oops, not Jiffy Lube, but same pathetic idea...

Quick Reply: Miles between oil changes