A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More vibration questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had the down pipes (aka headers aka head pipes??) changed and the engine mount reprogramming. Im gonna go out on a very strong limb and say the engine mount reprogramming was to lighten the weight the vehicle would be carrying by removing excess coinage from my wallet.

Honestly, if you haven't had it done, get it done. Its worth it. I didn't think it would make a huge difference but my S8 is now butter smooth. Its an impressive piece of engineering to be able to ride so smoothly and then punch it and feel the car squat down and take off so viscously but seemingly like that was the plan the whole time. I'm not communicating the feeling well with my words, i know, because my wife is tired of hearing about it. #blessed
Old 01-09-2017, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Just picked up my 2015 CPO'd S8 (with only 13k miles) and after reading the forum today noticed the vibration driving it home. Put in P and tested at 1k and 3k...no doubt about it. Apt scheduled for Wednesday where I am sure they will have to diagnose and then order parts and make me come back for the service. How long is it taking dealers to do the fix? A few days?
Old 01-09-2017, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Karrera4
Just picked up my 2015 CPO'd S8 (with only 13k miles) and after reading the forum today noticed the vibration driving it home. Put in P and tested at 1k and 3k...no doubt about it. Apt scheduled for Wednesday where I am sure they will have to diagnose and then order parts and make me come back for the service. How long is it taking dealers to do the fix? A few days?
It will take one day to go through their diagnosis process as outlined in the TSB as otherwise Audi will not reimburse them.

They will first update firmware on the engine mounts. They will confirm that it doesn't fix the problem.

Only then can they order the downpipes for the S8.

After that figure 24 hrs for the downpipes to come in and another day to finish the repair and test.

It took me 3 days total on my S8 and I had to endure that tinny flimsy A6 loaner
Old 01-10-2017, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by audisession
It will take one day to go through their diagnosis process as outlined in the TSB as otherwise Audi will not reimburse them.

They will first update firmware on the engine mounts. They will confirm that it doesn't fix the problem.

Only then can they order the downpipes for the S8.

After that figure 24 hrs for the downpipes to come in and another day to finish the repair and test.

It took me 3 days total on my S8 and I had to endure that tinny flimsy A6 loaner

Thanks for the info! I hope my dealer can problem solve their way thru this without turning it into a cluster. Maybe Ill just have them call your dealer
Old 01-11-2017, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Just left my dealer...they were actually pretty good. I brought the TSB with me and the tech thanked me for taking the time to do "the right research" and bring in the information. I was worried he would be annoyed. He got in the car with me and we revved to 1k and 3k...he goes, yep, I recall this...we will order the new down pipes and get you on your way. They said the pipes should be in on Jan 20th and they will replace on the 23rd. They are also replacing my cup holder cover and updating the MMI.....said it would only take the day! Will be nice to get this resolved and get to just enjoying the car. Thanks to this forum for all the knowledge.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I now have the 1k, 3k rpm vibration. Can anyone confirm that the APR downpipe upgrade takes care of this? I was looking to do the upgrade anyway, but not if vibration continues. Thanks
Old 01-24-2017, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm still in the process as my dealer diagnosed and ordered the down pipes quickly but now it's been 2 weeks and they haven't gotten the pipes in yet, which is ridiculous. They told me they do not know when they will arrive, as they appear to be back ordered. I contacted Audi NA today to let them know this is not what I expected and someone contacted me right back...hope it does something to speed up the process.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been waiting since the 11th of January. Dealer said that they had to order the down pipes from Germany. Must be on a ship.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SandA6
I have been waiting since the 11th of January. Dealer said that they had to order the down pipes from Germany. Must be on a ship.
We are in the exact same boat...no pun intended I have been waiting since the 11th too. Where are you located?
Old 01-25-2017, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Karrera4
We are in the exact same boat...no pun intended I have been waiting since the 11th too. Where are you located?
Los Angeles. I was told today that the down pipes come straight from the factory in Neckarsum. I assume we could call the U.S. HQ on the east coast to apply pressure.

Quick Reply: More vibration questions