A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 16' A8L Sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 16' A8L Sport

Hey guys, just picked up this 2016 A8L Sport 4.0TT, I really do love the car but there are a few features I am not overly crazy about.

Here are some pics, I absolutely LOVED my 07 D3 A8L, was likely the best car I owned. Had it since new and logged 140k on it with relatively no issues other than the dreaded carbon build up and subsequent spark plug and injector death.
Other than that the car was basically ROCK fckn solid.

Delivery day, saying good bye to the old and hello to the new:

New ish:

After a nice wash:

Both my wheels

I will throw up some pics of the interior, cross stitched brown with suede and executive etc...

The car visually is beautiful, however it is sleeker than my D3 and less bulgy. Everyone that has sat in the back seat of both agree the D4 is smaller inside than the D3 was (I have not yet sat in the back so i have no real opinion) but it does in fact look smaller.

The 4.0TT is a monster engine, and I can not wait to put the APR tune on it and give it the same specs as the s8 (more or less). This is my DD during the week but I find myself driving this car more than my f10 m5. (which is a similar, big car). The car drives incredibly smooth, handles very well for such a boat (i don't really love the dynamic steering, its heavy as hell for no reason with no additional degree of precision)

Call me nucking futz BUT i feel the Bose system in my D3 sounded louder than my D4! Which is still nowhere nearly as loud as the B&O system in the f10.
I hate the fact that Audi now regulates your seat heat, the D3 would get as hot as my biomat and literally you'd melt into the seats (it was freakin awesome), this car regulates too much in terms of seat heat and the time limit on the massage seats (which totally sucks) and I will be looking to extend this past 10 minutes.

I am excited to get into the ecu and change some settings, there seems to be alot on this platform to tinker with and its relatively straight forward.

I do HATE the fact that Audi 86'd the real TPMS that showed you in car what the pressures were. I find it actually insulting that in a car that cost me (MSRP) $103,000 that Im told to get out and manually check the tire pressures, all my others cars except for my e46 M3 and my 1100whp 2003 911 turbo tell me the pressure. I dont care if Audi was tired of changing the sensors, they went once in my 9 year ownership on my D3, its pathetic. The system that checks them also, basically wheel speed sensors blah blah blah, is what is on my 2002 e46 m3 and is archaic technology.

Also not a fan of not having the button to unlock the gas door inside the car, I've become accustom to it on flagship, big body sedans and dont like that they just 86'd it. The MMI startup lag is annoying as $hit as well, D3 never had that issue... 10 years later and there's a lag. While we are talking about the MMI it is no where nearly as good as my 14' M5. I can see album covers over sirius sat radio, the A8L does not do that, it seems that when the system was updated for the d4 (what 2011/12) they never gave any more mind to it and left it as is. That's pretty wack.
My m5 can show all of that, change the song and everything right from the HUD (which can be moved up and down btw and the Audi doesn't have that adjustable, again pretty weak) Granted my system is coded and hacked and I am really looking forward to doing that in the A8L but from what I've seen the features are few. Also, over BT (which the sound quality is def not that wonderful), you cant control the songs from the steering wheel or even the main screen, it feels like the itunes aspect never fully syncs with the car. I am going to try plugging directly into the MMI and seeing what that result produces.

All in all I do really enjoy the 16, I wish I held on to the 07 for winter DD duties in the north east. But I can always source another if need be. Looking forward to learning more about this platform from this forum.

cheers!
Old 06-30-2016, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

For the bluetooth, make sure your A/C vents are on the dash are not pointed up at the microphones by the overhead console. Makes quite a racket at the other end. Interestingly, the new A6 and A4 will show album covers on their MMI, but the A8 doesn't. I don't know why.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
For the bluetooth, make sure your A/C vents are on the dash are not pointed up at the microphones by the overhead console. Makes quite a racket at the other end. Interestingly, the new A6 and A4 will show album covers on their MMI, but the A8 doesn't. I don't know why.
Yea I am referring more to the bluetooth audio, not the phone calls itself. All the 'new' models use a new MMI and the A8 was updated once and then never touched again which totally sucks that a car 1/3 of the price can do something that a car in the triple digits can not.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

The A8 also shows the album covers on the MMI.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tx170754
The A8 also shows the album covers on the MMI.
Maybe if you hardwire your iPod through the console it does....Bluetooth doesn't and neither does SAT radio.

Also NOT ONE USB port in this car??? Seriously what the F????? It's 2016!
Old 06-30-2016, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

They count on you buying the adapter for the center console to have a USB connection.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by lennon31987
Maybe if you hardwire your iPod through the console it does....Bluetooth doesn't and neither does SAT radio.

Also NOT ONE USB port in this car??? Seriously what the F????? It's 2016!
Car design is circa 2008-2009 when most components were locked in for calendar year 2010 launch, rather than 2016. Stereo was refreshed some in 2012 for 2013, so still some years back.

Album art displays only w/ hard cable AFAIK. Mine does, with the cable. Bluetooth (A2DP) audio is definitely not the best set up for fidelity anyway.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Car design is circa 2008-2009 when most components were locked in for calendar year 2010 launch, rather than 2016. Stereo was refreshed some in 2012 for 2013, so still some years back.

Album art displays only w/ hard cable AFAIK. Mine does, with the cable. Bluetooth (A2DP) audio is definitely not the best set up for fidelity anyway.

Yep. There really isn't a significant .2 facelift for this other than the motor, stereo is significantly lacking in that regard.
Still love the car tho.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

lennon- I also went from '07 A8L to '16 Sport. I did opt for the B&O this time and to me it makes a big diff. 100% correct on your observations and every time I get into the car I still smile- the engine is impressive. As for music, I have loaded music into he jukebox and 95% of album art is on it. I'm going to lower her a bit as well.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Interesting, when I loaded music onto a loaner 2015 A8, there were no album covers. I thought about it because I remember a loaner 2015 A6 having them.

Quick Reply: My 16' A8L Sport