A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on purchasing 2011-2014 A8...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need advice on purchasing 2011-2014 A8...

I have been reading this forum and other Internet postings regarding the 2011-2014 A8 for a little while now.

There are no Audi dealers or A8 cars within 100 miles of me - so it makes it very hard.

However, I would like to ask the advice of you who have this car already as to what to look for.

As far as I have read I should be looking for/at:

1. Try to stay away from 2011-2012 models with their 4.2 engine - and try to go for a 2013 or 2014.

2. Have the dealer upgrade the MMI to V814.

3. Have Technical Service Bulletin 27 done; and have down pipes changed (problem with car vibrating at 1000 RPM and 3000 RPM).

Anything else I should be looking for/at?

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2016, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

It's really going to come down to budget. I posted this in one of your other threads but I would buy a 4.0t with every option. That way you won't have buyers remorse about an option you didn't get. Not sure on your color preference but if you don't mind black on black it's pretty easy to find one. Also I would suggest a CPO car. They are more money but the peace of mind is worth it.

Where are you located? Many of us enjoy searching for cars and would be happy to help you track one down.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nothing wrong with the tried and true 4.2 but the 4.0TT is so much better , if you can afford that then absolutely go for the 4.0tt
Old 11-22-2016, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

You can't beat the budget on a low mileage 2011. The 4.0T motor would be nice, but the 4.2 is more than adequate and I've never regretted it. I would be buried in this car if it was feasible
Old 11-22-2016, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Garycw
You can't beat the budget on a low mileage 2011. The 4.0T motor would be nice, but the 4.2 is more than adequate and I've never regretted it. I would be buried in this car if it was feasible
lol

You have a very beautiful car!
Old 11-22-2016, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm with Gary. I test drove an S8, and it drove very much like my 4.2 drivetrain wise. Only when I really leaned into it did the extra power make itself known. The best way I can put it is that the motor doesn't feel like it has a leg up on the 4.2 around town, it's only when you really push it that you notice the power difference. If you don't accelerate hard very often, it's hard to justify the extra cost. Now, when I drove the 3.0t, that definitely felt down compared to the V8's, even if it's performance is actually plenty adequate, it revs more and makes a coarse noise to get it.

The most well optioned 4.2 is cheaper than a base 4.0, so that may be your best value, considering both cars are supremely comfortable and handle very well. As a fiend for horsepower, I will understand if you would prefer a 4.0 and spend the extra for it, but even with the tuning available to the 3.0, I would knock it off the list of candidates(sorry 3.0 guys.)
Old 11-30-2016, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have just gone through the process of finding an A8 for myself and ended up buying the 2013 A8 4.0t. The engine is a certain upgrade in both quiet and power. I bought mine from an Audi dealer with less than 30k miles with all options but the B&O system. It is a very comfortable machine with pretty good gas mileage for a big sedan and ample power. I have the CPO warranty which is so much better than the CPO on my wife's Mercedes when you read the fine print.

I chose the 4.0t version which seem to be harder to find because it really is worth the extra. Buying from an Audi dealer is certainly more expensive but with the CPO, it gives piece of mind. Expensive repairs is something I was not interested in. Really do your research as the 2013 versus older models are more money and I wanted to protect my investment. The car is wonderful so far just over 1 month of ownership.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by SpillyJ
I have just gone through the process of finding an A8 for myself and ended up buying the 2013 A8 4.0t. The engine is a certain upgrade in both quiet and power. I bought mine from an Audi dealer with less than 30k miles with all options but the B&O system. It is a very comfortable machine with pretty good gas mileage for a big sedan and ample power. I have the CPO warranty which is so much better than the CPO on my wife's Mercedes when you read the fine print.

I chose the 4.0t version which seem to be harder to find because it really is worth the extra. Buying from an Audi dealer is certainly more expensive but with the CPO, it gives piece of mind. Expensive repairs is something I was not interested in. Really do your research as the 2013 versus older models are more money and I wanted to protect my investment. The car is wonderful so far just over 1 month of ownership.
Welcome BTW. Sounds like a well reasoned decision you played out and came to. And yes, for longer term ownership, the CPO approach makes a lot of sense at the right price.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SpillyJ

Hey, thanks for the post!

I think I am "stuck" with a 2014 - as that is the first year they offered a true black paint exterior - brilliant black. All of the other black paint colors offer some hue in the sun - whether it be a gray (phantom), brown (Havanna), or green (Emerald).

And, yes, from what I have been reading a CPO is almost a certainty.

I haven't quite decided between the 3.0T and 4.0T - as I am more interested in this car from the standpoint of a luxury car than a sports car.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Response

Originally Posted by polo1
Hey, thanks for the post!

I think I am "stuck" with a 2014 - as that is the first year they offered a true black paint exterior - brilliant black. All of the other black paint colors offer some hue in the sun - whether it be a gray (phantom), brown (Havanna), or green (Emerald).

And, yes, from what I have been reading a CPO is almost a certainty.

I haven't quite decided between the 3.0T and 4.0T - as I am more interested in this car from the standpoint of a luxury car than a sports car.

Response: If you take both the 3.0 and the 4.0 for a drive you will see a difference at any speed. If gas mileage is a concern, the two engines are rated the same as the 4.0 gives you also cylinder on demand. It allows the car to operate at 4 cylinders when it can saving you gas. Either car is nice but to have the extra ponies never hurts....

As for the true black... I have the Havana black and I hate any shade of black.... 9 of 10 made are in any of the shades of black.... always looks dirty. I would have gone white first and then silver and then any other lighter shade but not many around.

Quick Reply: Need advice on purchasing 2011-2014 A8...