A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need for Sport Package on NWB?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 01:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need for Sport Package on NWB?

Hi all -- I've been reading this forum for a while, and several posters have repeatedly and persuasively argued that the sport package on the A8L is a must have that magically transforms the car's feel to that of a nimbler, sportier, smaller sedan. I'm wondering if you all feel as strongly about the need for the sport package on the NWB.

I ask because I'm shopping around for a one or two year old NWB model, and examples with the sport package option are super rare. Were I buying new I'd just get the sport package, but since I'm trying to dodge the initial depreciation hit, my options are more limited.

I'd drive one with and one without if I could but have had no luck finding any with the sport package in my area. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2015, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

IMO the sport package is a must have. I waited till I found one along with all the other options I thought were must haves. You really must drive both on your normal roads to make the decision yourself. The sport package car comes with more upgrades than just suspension and sport differential also. Dynamic Steering along with better leather on the seats are a couple. Along with a lower better stance and look to them with sport wheels over a standard also.

Nothing worse than having a car for a number of years without the options you really want!

The sport is for sure even more rare than the standard A8's. Seems if I do see another 8 on the road it's a black A8L.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KnappAttack
Nothing worse than having a car for a number of years without the options you really want!

The sport is for sure even more rare than the standard A8's. Seems if I do see another 8 on the road it's a black A8L.
I avoided that attitude and leased one off the lot......If I had ordered the car with the options I wanted my monthly payment would be 1 grand higher....LOL....

That being said, I would definitely like a sportier feel for this car.... it should be standard along with the black paint LOL.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

I own a NWB D3 with the sport package. I ordered it that way and it transformers the D3. But I was sufficiently impressed with a test drive of a D4 without sport package a few years ago that I felt I could live with the normal suspension on a NWB D4 if need be. Mike
Old 04-22-2015, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to say, I go back and forth on this one.

My NWB D4 does not have it, but my NWB D3 did. There is a clear difference in feel when you are pushing hard into a tight bend or corner. The SP makes this experience much better - no doubt about that.

However that's not the way I drive the car most of the time - probably less than a 1% case. IMO it's a great addition, but I could (can) live without it.

John
Old 04-22-2015, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Can you just lower these w/ VCDS and change bars?

My D3 (W12) approach is just to dial in some VCDS lowering of my choice, plus I swapped the sway bars year ago. On a D3 W12, that means comfort air units are standard, but the sway bar starts as a sport level bar (probably due to more weight). Thus I fitted S8 bars, or one "level" stiffer than W12 stock. On 20's (big for D3's that then go 275/35) I like the result driving wise. I get/keep another 20mm of overall variability and lift for winter/bad conditions too. D4 W12 used never even mentions suspension and I bet take rate would be low anyway. I suspect if I ever got one--as the prices continue their predictable fall of cliff norm--that it would be another DIY like that. Typical Audi is the rear bar actually makes more difference, but at least on the D3 the rear bar was more of a challenge than the quite easy front bar. I did both; rear only probably dials out some incremental understeer. My experience with several cars worth of bar modding is it flattens it out some at the margin, but also stiffens the ride marginally since the bar resists movement when it affects only/primarily one side.

So has anyone ever either VCDS lowered one (if still a relevant approach for D4s) or done a bar swap? Only a few of us ever did a bar swap on D3's regardless of motor, so won't surprise me if it never came up. D4 sport package doesn't even mention a suspension drop any more (20mm on D3), so did that go away? D3 air units also had a different part # and supposed 30% stiffer rate; is that stiffer air unit part of spec any more?

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-22-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

MP4.2+6.0 :

It's really more of an issue involving the benefit of the rear sport differential and dynamic steering combination that provides significantly more control that 1) keeps the car's rear end planted, and 2) enables you to maintain more precise directional steering in sharp turns and extreme cornering. The 2015 A8 sports suspension itself isn't really any firmer or lower vs. non-sport, nor am I aware of any "beefier" suspension components---As far as I know (and have experienced) the key difference is how the rear sports differential + dynamic steering improve the car's handling agility and control when at speed in tight turns...like when romping on back road twisties, or in the event of a "panic" maneuver situation.

In the past, the D3 and 2011 thru 2014 (I believe) D4 order guides listed the firmer sports suspension as a component in the A8 sports package. For 2015, the sports suspension component was dropped, with the package components now only shown as 265x40x20 A/S tires on new Galvano wheels along with the rear sports differential and dynamic steering. That combination tightens up the A8's handling & agility--especially on the LWB--while keeping the suspension more compliant and luxury-like. The rear sport diff and dynamic steering worked exceptionally well on my prior 2011 D4 with 19" wheels and non-sport suspension, and now with the 20" rubber and wheels works even better...In fact, I think the suspension tuning on my 2015 with sports package is even more compliant than was the 2011 non-sport, but with no loss in handling.