A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never had an Audi, Looking at A8L, 2009 or 2010, Any Valuable Advice I should know?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never had an Audi, Looking at A8L, 2009 or 2010, Any Valuable Advice I should know?

Never had an Audi before, but am extensively looking for an A8L between a 2009 and 2010, does anybody who has ever owned one before have any valuable insight or advice I should know before puling the trigger?

I felt partial to the 2010 model since it is newer than the 2009, but can't seem to find too many online for sale.. It is looking more and more like the 2009 A8L may be the more viable option, and I would like to make the move sooner rather than later.

What should I know before getting myself into one of these, and the finances that come with it?

I would appreciate the help!

Thanks,
Old 03-25-2017, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Read forum or search for more tips.

2009 and 2010 are virtually identical. They only did a short run of 2010's before switching to D4's, and as is common in last year there were basically no changes. 2008 is where the last significant D3 changes occurred.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there any particular reason why you are not moving up at least one model year in order to get a D4? Food for thought. They are both beautiful cars. I have owned and loved both... but the D3 is starting to look a bit dated on the highway. Also the 2011 is the first year for the LED DRL's which are mega-cool.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

If you can swing the extra money, a first year D4 is a big step forward in terms of features. Normally first years can be problematic, but the D4 managed to avoid most of that and is actually a terrifically reliable car. As far as the 2009 or 2010, MP4.2 is right on, there was very little difference between the two. If I recall, the 2010 model got the a spare piece or two from the S8, like the trunk lid. Mileage, options, and condition should be your primary concern between the two years. With any car, actually.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Jack88
If you can swing the extra money, a first year D4 is a big step forward in terms of features. Normally first years can be problematic, but the D4 managed to avoid most of that and is actually a terrifically reliable car. As far as the 2009 or 2010, MP4.2 is right on, there was very little difference between the two. If I recall, the 2010 model got the a spare piece or two from the S8, like the trunk lid. Mileage, options, and condition should be your primary concern between the two years. With any car, actually.
Originally Posted by Swissman564
Is there any particular reason why you are not moving up at least one model year in order to get a D4? Food for thought. They are both beautiful cars. I have owned and loved both... but the D3 is starting to look a bit dated on the highway. Also the 2011 is the first year for the LED DRL's which are mega-cool.
Yeah unfortunately working with a budget of around 20-25k, I agree the D4's have a new and appealing look. I've read up on some of the general differences between the two but obuosuly finding a D4 in this range is not too easy, and probably raises red flags more than anything. I've read a lot about the general maintenance of these cars, especially after 70k miles, and I've found an '09 with 71k on it within my price range, which is not too common, so I've been facing a little cognitive dissonance over pulling the trigger. I've heard that one normally will need to put money into refurbishing the the engine via sea foam and take a look at the suspension's airbags for further maintenance, so idk if buying this aforementioned vehicle would immediately require me putting in another 3k worth of repairs, as I've never owned an Ausi, I just don't have the working expertise with them.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Get a PPI, and if you really want to get the most for your budget, finding one private party is ideal. I saved about 10% over dealer costs going that route. They are fewer in number but the savings and getting to see the car in it's unprepped state can give you a good idea to it's condition and the care given to it.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CCKnight72
Yeah unfortunately working with a budget of around 20-25k, I agree the D4's have a new and appealing look. I've read up on some of the general differences between the two but obuosuly finding a D4 in this range is not too easy, and probably raises red flags more than anything. I've read a lot about the general maintenance of these cars, especially after 70k miles, and I've found an '09 with 71k on it within my price range, which is not too common, so I've been facing a little cognitive dissonance over pulling the trigger. I've heard that one normally will need to put money into refurbishing the the engine via sea foam and take a look at the suspension's airbags for further maintenance, so idk if buying this aforementioned vehicle would immediately require me putting in another 3k worth of repairs, as I've never owned an Ausi, I just don't have the working expertise with them.
I certainly understand the budget issue. If it helps give you any comfort, I bought my '07 just coming off a lease with 60K on the odometer. When I test drove it at the dealer it was obviously a well cared for vehicle. I sold it at 165K miles and she was major repair free. The D3 is a gorgeous car which rides and drives very much like my 2011 D4. If the '09 you're looking at has been properly cared for, and chances are very good at that mileage that it has, you have an excellent shot at driving it 100K+ MORE miles without a major issue. I never experienced any of the electrical bugs that I read about but I keep them in the garage which probably helps. I am not what I would call an aggressive driver but occasionally I love the thrill of driving over 100mph and feeling like I'm going 65. I also take great joy out of showing the 20-somethings in their rice burners what the rear end of my car looks like disappearing over the horizon when they get testy with me. That's what you get with an A8. My personal opinion after owning 45 cars and trucks in my life is that any car that hasn't been abused before she becomes yours, and benefits from the required PM will last much longer than the average bear. Including an Audi. Good luck
Old 03-27-2017, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the reply.
What do you know about the sea foam maintenance? I read something about this and having to do it about every 70k miles or so. Since this car is selling at 71k I'm guessing there are going to be some minor things I would hypothetically have to do upon receiving the vehicle.. I know you said you didn't have really any major repairs to do on your '07, but what types of maintenance will I have to do in order for it to run smoothly for another 100k or more?
Old 03-27-2017, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sea foam maintenance isn't a thing. A modern car with the maintenance scheduled follow will not benefit. Do everything the maintenance handbook from Audi specifies when it specifies to and it should be set. One thing I would add to it is a transmission fluid and filter change at 75k miles.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the response Jack. Yeah wasn't too sure about the sea foam either, I've just seen multiple people on here mention it and promote it.

Back to your point on the PPI, the dealership where this car is located said that they had already done a 120 point check on the vehicle. That being said, I looked up inspectors in that area for a cost that would be around $375, but am wondering whether this would be redundant since they have already done their 120 point inspection?

Quick Reply: Never had an Audi, Looking at A8L, 2009 or 2010, Any Valuable Advice I should know?