A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New D4 owner question/help

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's diffinetly comfortable. It's the best car I've ever had or probably will. The rear sunshade not working will drive me crazy till I get it fixed. If I'm able to get the broken clip off, I'll do some refab/ rebuild the clip. Even if I have to use jb weld and a dremel. Hoping I can just find a good clip though.
The real kicker is I just bright it home, drive 200 mi to another location. I have late stage liver cancer and had some kind of pain attack after I arrived and not sure I can even drive right now. This car is part of my bucket list. As soon as I get over last spell , I'll be driving the wheels off it.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Great news!! Had wife push rear shade button while I was in back holding up on the reported out of track side. I expected the worse with binding. However it went up smooth as silk. I'm not going to press my luck and just leave it up. Side shades work perfect. Thanks for the resource links though for future reference.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Garycw
Great news!! Had wife push rear shade button while I was in back holding up on the reported out of track side. I expected the worse with binding. However it went up smooth as silk. I'm not going to press my luck and just leave it up. Side shades work perfect. Thanks for the resource links though for future reference.
Best of luck with that and just maybe, it was off the track somehow and will work for you now. The A8 is an awesome car so just enjoy and try not to obsess on the sunshade. You have far more important things to be doing!
Old 06-23-2016, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm diffinetly enjoying the opulence of the A8. Wanted one for years, now it's a dream come true. I have the owners manual but was missing the MMI manual. I have the whole set with the Audi carry case on the way. I know most all the controls and can figure out others , but I read manuals cover to cover. I'm also a little OCD when it comes to luxury cars. The shade bothered me not up. I like the privacy, lower summer temps and sun fading it prevents. I've only lowered the one on my Bmw a few times for Windows cleaning, plus I like the looks of being up. Now into a deep exterior/interior detail even though it already looks like new.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Garycw
I'm diffinetly enjoying the opulence of the A8. Wanted one for years, now it's a dream come true. I have the owners manual but was missing the MMI manual. I have the whole set with the Audi carry case on the way. I know most all the controls and can figure out others , but I read manuals cover to cover. I'm also a little OCD when it comes to luxury cars. The shade bothered me not up. I like the privacy, lower summer temps and sun fading it prevents. I've only lowered the one on my Bmw a few times for Windows cleaning, plus I like the looks of being up. Now into a deep exterior/interior detail even though it already looks like new.
A lot of information in the manuals (including the MMI) is in the tutorials both online and in the MMI system itself. I had as much success just sitting in the car and going through all the settings just to see what and where things were located and what was available as I did reading any of the manuals.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

The wife's 2013 A5 S Line had a lot of the same basic things.The A8 just has so much more though. True I can go through the systems and selections to discover most all things. The voice and touchpad are a couple things I still need some practice with. Plus I want the car to come as it did when new including All manuals and case. I'll end up with one extra manual to keep in the house for light reading.
Right now I'm just looking for reasons to drive it.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Typing in your VIN (or any valid VIN really), you can view the manuals for any recent Audi via the Audi USA website. (Cannot be downloaded to be clear.) They display very well on a a tablet like an iPad and touch is very handy for page swipes and such. More tedious on a laptop. Having read my S8 manual in both paper and on screen, on the iPad it was a nicer read with illuminated generous screen.

Audi USA online manual link: Audi Online Owner's Manual

Also, if you scroll down this page a little to myVehicle/Video Tutorials to can access a lot of introductory videos about different parts of the car for that learning approach. Some are reasonably D4 specific. https://www.audiusa.com/myaudi

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-25-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

What am I in for if I disconnect the battery? Previous owner for some reason had two large sub woofers and large amp professionally installed in the already small trunk?? I want them out, but to be safe removing amp, I need to disconnect battery.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

I know I'll loose all stored data, but was wondering if anything would need re initialized like sun roof, Windows etc...
Old 07-03-2016, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Nothing like that. Don't worry, it's not going to freak out if you disconnect the battery.

Quick Reply: New D4 owner question/help