A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member, with A8L - former S-Class driver

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AG6
I would be curious to know your thoughts on comfort between the two cars. I am an s class driver and am thinking of the A8 or S8.

Need to know if suspension comfort is similar. Also does Audi have acoustic glass like the S, double glass.
I drove 3-year leased S-Class models for over 20 years and because Mercedes Canada couldn't get delivery (ordered Nov2013) I agreed to extend the lease for a fourth year...and when that was up they still didn't have the car I ordered a year before. So, reluctantly, in Oct14 I started looking at other upscale vehicles and selected the A8L because it was the only one they had for immediate delivery. I took it as is and they sweetened the price and extras to the point it was about $500 a month less on the lease and a much lower buyback. I would never had ordered the massage seats at Mercedes, a $4600 option, but it came with this one and I love it. There are other gadgets on the Audi I probably wouldn't have ordered, but glad I got them now.

In spite of the comparative specs I am convinced the Mercedes had wider seats, based on my overweight frame...and absolutely hate having to stop the car, open the door and adjust the seats or the massage function...instead of on the door like the Mercedes. I would think from that the A8L is narrower. Cars are equivalent in soundproofing.

The upholstery is equivalent quality but a Mercedes sales rep said the Audi seats are not leather all around...I would think they are. Mercedes is considerably more user friendly than the Audi control panel system including the GPS. I suppose over time I'll figure it out. The mercedes must have been higher off the ground..I find I have to push myself up to get out of the Audi while I just had to turn and walk form the mercedes and not hurt my bad knees.

The Canadian cars are different...no SIM card slot and no Google maps.

Finally, the A8L is a dated styling and I'm starting to see the new Mercedes on TV shows and the new style looks very good...almost making me regret I didn't wait a while longer. My eye doc and my lawyer also had leased S-Class and ordered theirs when I did...and they still don't have them! What in the world is going on at Mercedes, making long time customers wait so long?

Regardless that I would still put the S-Class a little ahead of the A8L in preference, the Audi is a beaut and I'm liking it more every day. By the end of this lease I'm pretty sure I'll be totally sold. It's just that I feel like Mercedes divorced me...and still going through some separation anxiety.

One added thing...on a 300km highway trip to another city last weekend, I averaged 30.1 mpg! That beats the S-400 Hybrid I had for the last 4 years.