A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member, with A8L - former S-Class driver

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwrshift
I miss not having seat controls on the door and controls to move the passenger seat from driver side.
You can do this from MMI: Car -> Vehicle Settings -> Seats
The passenger seat may be set in symmetry, or adjusted by the driver controls.
There are also settings for the rear seats, which I often have to reset after the curious "play with every button" in the rear

The Merc had a button called 'rest' that you push to keep the car warm for 30 minutes when you go shopping in cold weather in Toronto.
There is residual heat re-circulation, but it's not something I've ever researched living in the South...

Glovebox? What glovebox?
I tell people unfamiliar with the A8 that it's more of a cockpit than a cabin up front, and you couldn't fit an envelope in if you wanted to.
Since moving to Audi my vehicles are far less cluttered...
Old 12-11-2014, 05:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just found out my sunglasses are too big to fit in the holder at the rear view mirror. Strange.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am not a big fan of the old or new S-class. The new interior looks interesting but a bit too "nautical" for me.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Side Assist

. . . . I do have a little difficulty with the right side blind spot to see if there is a car in that lane as the magnification makes cars seem closer than they really are but I'll get use to that once I get to trust the flashing rear view mirror.

Don't misread me...I love the A8L and these are just the differences I'm finding as I go along.
As far as getting to trust the side assist, I come to rely on it. It is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Perhaps there is a danger of over reliance on the technology because when I drive my technophobic wife's VW Rabbit I've had a few close calls which were entirely my fault . . . . the same goes for the Adaptive Cruise Control.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Kkirkg
As far as getting to trust the side assist, I come to rely on it. It is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Perhaps there is a danger of over reliance on the technology because when I drive my technophobic wife's VW Rabbit I've had a few close calls which were entirely my fault . . . . the same goes for the Adaptive Cruise Control.
Agreed.

I have to be careful because my dealership turns it off every stinking time the vehicle is in for service.
Almost side swiped a bus once - now I check before leaving the service bay...
Old 12-11-2014, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Last edited by doctorharrison; 12-11-2014 at 01:15 PM. Reason: deleted: Tennis ball fix already in play...
Old 01-07-2015, 08:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Misses: The Merc had a button called 'rest' that you push to keep the car warm for 30 minutes when you go shopping in cold weather in Toronto. .
I found it! After stopping the car, you just press and hold the 'fan' button for a few seconds and the car is kept warm inside for 30 minutes. Tried it today when I went into Best Buy and came out to a relatively warm car interior in 15 degree below weather. Luv it.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks. So far the A8l is a winner, but my broad beam hates the seat controls on the side o the seat instead of the door like on the S-Class.

Also, the Nav maps don't have some of my well travelled roads...will have to call and see why.
The Audi MMI command center is so different and less user friendly than the S was.

Tight fit...According to my garage, A8l is about 2" longer than the S but 2" narrower...so I have to be careful positioning the car before closing the door...the camera is helpful but why do you have to put the car into reverse to turn the forward camera on?
don't complain about the nav maps. I have a portable Garmin that I take with me on trips and they offer lifetime updates. Unfortunately it still could not locate the cemetery where my mom was buried in

A8L was too long for me and I knew it. So I bought the NWB and it fits by by 4 " in my garage (I have a stopper so I wont run into my tool cabinet, which is too much of a PITA to move)

I don't think the A8 is the panacea for a problem free, full enjoyment car. But it is IMO the nicest interior on the planet and for the money that I paid for it, far excels in most categories compared to any other luxury sedan.

There is a button for heads in parking for the the camera but I get your point, you shouldn't have to push a button. Again, you will find the weird idiosynchratic nuisances of the A8 but all in all, its above the competition overall IMO

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 01-09-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I noticed on my former car, S400 Merc, at a stop sign if someone walked in front of the car the warning beeper would go off.

It doesn't seem to do that on the Audi A8L ... have I got something turned off?

Also...when I have the camera on it gives warning beeps as I go into the garage, but not if I don't have the camera on. Something must be turned off??
Old 01-10-2015, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I noticed on my former car, S400 Merc, at a stop sign if someone walked in front of the car the warning beeper would go off.

It doesn't seem to do that on the Audi A8L ... have I got something turned off?
Not available on US spec Audis.
In theory you could turn on the camera to emulate the nanny function.

Also...when I have the camera on it gives warning beeps as I go into the garage, but not if I don't have the camera on. Something must be turned off??
Nope, you have to turn the camera on for park assist to function.

Quick Reply: New Member, with A8L - former S-Class driver