A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member S8

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 06:26 PM
jro
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Member S8

Have been in the Audi family for several years. I've been driving an '09 A8. My wife also had an '09 A5 3.2 which while not the most comfortable car in the world, it was fun to drive. Despite this, I'm new to the forum, but can tell that I will spend way too much time here!

At the risk of becoming a cliché, I'm about to turn 50 and well…you know the drill.

Thought about a Porsche 911 and a BMW 6 Series, but ultimately ruled them out before even taking a test drive. Drove a '14 Mercedes CL 550. Wow! Power, check; comfort, check; looks, check, but even though the kids drive their own cars and the likelihood of have anyone in the rear seats for any amount of time was slim, I couldn't quite pull the trigger on a two-door coupe. Then went in the opposite direction and drove the new full size Range Rover. Spectacular vehicle. Versatile, comfortable and luxurious, but my wife has an Escalade and we really didn't need another SUV.

Was resolved to buy another A8 and went to the dealership to start the process. Spotted a '13 S8 on the lot that they had just taken in with 12k miles (original owner swapped it for a Q7 so that he could get up to his camp in Northern VT).

Took the S8 out for a test drive and less than 2 minutes in I knew this was it. Great looks inside and out, power and torque to put a perpetual smile on your face, nice exhaust note (particularly in Dynamic mode), a killer sound system (B&O) and the Quattro system. Made the deal and picked it up a couple of days later. As I drove out of the dealer's lot I had one thought in mind…"Where have you been all my life!"
Old 12-11-2014, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome!

Age is just a number... a friend of mine is turning 99 in a couple hours.
But, the sports cars that sit on the ground, yeah I don't want those anymore either.

You guys with all the new S8s are making me want one too
Congratulations, and anything you need don't hesitate to ask. -Jake
Old 01-16-2015, 04:43 PM
jro
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So, nearly 2 months in and all I can say is DAMN! The S8 really is a spectacular vehicle. My wife and I were driving home this evening from an exciting trip to the grocery store and she asked, "so, are you happy with your car?" My answer in a word was "absolutely."

This may indeed be as close to a perfect car as there is (at least of the cars that are not out of the stratosphere expensive…did i really just say that a $120k+ car wasn't out of the stratosphere expensive???). It's luxurious, it can be driven as a sports car, it can carry 4 adults in complete comfort and yet the exterior is understated. I'm a lucky man!
Old 01-16-2015, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by jro
So, nearly 2 months in and all I can say is DAMN! The S8 really is a spectacular vehicle... I'm a lucky man!
You are indeed! As they say, life is short and should be enjoyed in the moment---so spend as many moments in that "spectacular vehicle" as possible. 😊
Old 01-16-2015, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jro
My wife and I were driving home this evening from an exciting trip to the grocery store
This says it all, in the true spirit of an Audi owner.

As I like to say, the A/S8 will spoil you for everything else.
Why drive a car when you can pilot an Audi ?
Old 01-16-2015, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also 6 weeks in to my S8. I filled up with gas late this afternoon and the clock says 2,737 miles. We are leaving bright and early in the morning for a 600+ mile trip to Wichita. This will be the first day long venture and I'm looking to see how we do on an all day drive. So far we really like the car.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Drive it like you don't care - trust me it will get better mileage.
Don't forget to hit the function button on the left of the steering wheel, select Bordcomputer and reset the MPGs / l/km at every fillup. (never fill with with the engine on - it will mess with lots of readings)

Let us know how you do after the trip, and as always safe travels !
Old 01-16-2015, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats!!!

I wish I had my S8....... *tear

Oh, and we like pics! (I think, I'm a FNG too)