A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Perfect, OEM look LED License lights (might be a re-post)

Old 10-15-2013, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Purchased EBay LED Twice

I purchased LEDs from E-Bay twice already. Each time driver's side LED would fail after few weeks. It didn't throw any codes. I purchased the OEM LED from the link above. We will see if they fare any better.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Good thing they didn't sell them to you because dealers seem to want crazy money for these things. I used the links provided above to the euro-parts website and they rushed them out to me for half of what my parts department wanted.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazydog
Strange, did they give you a reason why they would not sell them to you?
One said "They won't fit according to your VIN, they are too short"
The other said "Unfortunately you cannot switch to the LED lights because the wiring is different because these lights have a different resistance"
Both ridiculous since I know for a fact folks here have used them without a problem.

18 months into D4 ownership I'm still getting rid of odds and ends I had for the D3 - like the W12 fridge I never installed.
With that kind of track record I need to be in the right mood when I buy them or they'll sit on my desk for another year

FWIW - I sourced my LEDs from autolumination in Arizona.
Horrible website but good products and great customer service.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by xradman
I purchased LEDs from E-Bay twice already. Each time driver's side LED would fail after few weeks. It didn't throw any codes. I purchased the OEM LED from the link above. We will see if they fare any better.
Yeah they won't throw a code as the car thinks everything is fine because of the resistor that is built into them.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jakematic
One said "They won't fit according to your VIN, they are too short"
The other said "Unfortunately you cannot switch to the LED lights because the wiring is different because these lights have a different resistance"
Both ridiculous since I know for a fact folks here have used them without a problem.
You would think if they warned you and you still wanted them they would sell them to you. all it would take is a note on the sales slip to cover their @ss.

18 months into D4 ownership I'm still getting rid of odds and ends I had for the D3 - like the W12 fridge I never installed.
With that kind of track record I need to be in the right mood when I buy them or they'll sit on my desk for another year
The wife is always on me for this type of thing.

FWIW - I sourced my LEDs from autolumination in Arizona.
Horrible website but good products and great customer service.
Nice to know.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by xradman
So I got the OEM parts and they fit perfectly. If you can loosen and tighten a single philips screw, you can make this mod. Thanks OP.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nischal
I can confirm that the below linked Audi OEM LED license plate light/housings work perfectly on the D4 A8/S8. very easy to install, OEM and relatively inexpensive. They replace the entire bulb housing.

They are sold as a driver's side and passenger side set, one part number for each and they are standard on other Audi's, A7 I think. I ordered them from the below link and had them installed in minutes. No codes, double checked with my VAG.

There is also a link below that shows a live picture of the units.

4H0 943 021 Driver's Side
4H0 943 022 Passenger's side

http://www.europaparts.com/l-e-d-lic...4h0943022.html

http://www.europaparts.com/l-e-d-lic...4h0943021.html

VWVortex.com - OEM LED licence plate lights...

I see no reason to go aftermarket for this purpose, when OEM Audi parts fit the bill perfectly. Granted, replacement bulbs can be had for less, but I like the elegance of this solution.
Thanks for recommendation.....just ordered these OEM LED bulbs as well. Now to find a cheap front license plate bracket....stealership quoted $269+tax....wtf?!
Old 06-09-2015, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by The_Capt
Thanks for recommendation.....just ordered these OEM LED bulbs as well. Now to find a cheap front license plate bracket....stealership quoted $269+tax....wtf?!
Just don't run one. You will probably be fine. I bought a Euro bracket and put a German tag on my D3 as it looks loads better than the US plate...run it naked and show off the big grille
Old 06-25-2015, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nischal
I can confirm that the below linked Audi OEM LED license plate light/housings work perfectly on the D4 A8/S8. very easy to install, OEM and relatively inexpensive. They replace the entire bulb housing.

They are sold as a driver's side and passenger side set, one part number for each and they are standard on other Audi's, A7 I think. I ordered them from the below link and had them installed in minutes. No codes, double checked with my VAG.

There is also a link below that shows a live picture of the units.

4H0 943 021 Driver's Side
4H0 943 022 Passenger's side

http://www.europaparts.com/l-e-d-lic...4h0943022.html

http://www.europaparts.com/l-e-d-lic...4h0943021.html

VWVortex.com - OEM LED licence plate lights...

I see no reason to go aftermarket for this purpose, when OEM Audi parts fit the bill perfectly. Granted, replacement bulbs can be had for less, but I like the elegance of this solution.

thanks for the tip, just put an order, the links are dead i did search it via the part numbers you mention
Old 06-26-2015, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Default I used the OEMs off of the A6

First thing I did to my car when I got it was swap in LED license plate lights. Seems really weird that every other light on the car is LED. There's a thread with pics and part numbers on here somewhere.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Perfect, OEM look LED License lights (might be a re-post)