A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche info

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 12:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche info

A lot of people here seem to have or had a 911 at some point. I love my A8 and will probably get another after this one, but the car nut in me needs another outlet for my enthusiasm. I think it's about time to finally start looking for the 911 that I have always known I would own one day.

I have not decided on a budget yet, but I'm not looking to spend a lot on something that will be a grocery getter on weekends, and a toy when I don't have to haul my kids around. I'm leaning towards a decent 993 or an earlier 997. Just looking around, the cost of a 2008 911s is probably going to be as high as I am comfortable with for my first 911.

What is the 911 equivalent to this forum? I think I need to lurk for a while and learn as much as I can from owners before I can make an informed decision on an appropriate model/price for my needs.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kobanna
What is the 911 equivalent to this forum?
Porsche | 911 928 993 996 | Owners, Research, DIY, For Sale - Rennlist.com
Old 01-03-2015, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Try 6-speed online. Usually a very active Porsche community over there.

911 - 6speedonline.com Forums
Old 01-03-2015, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Good idea, kobanna, IMO a 911 is the perfect compliment to an A8. Both sites noted above will immerse you in Porsche info.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Rennlist is the most active and comprehensive collection of 911 forums I am aware of. Btw I owned a 997 (2008) Carrera for several years. A lot of fun, but I would not recommend the Tiptronic transmission, which was the only automatic available on the 997 until the highly improved PDK appeared around 2010. It's a real slush box compared to the PDK that replaced it, and it saps a lot of the car's soul, at least in my humble opinion.

Also, 993s are fantastic and will almost definitely hold their value better than a 996 or 997. But they aren't cheap. You will get the most bang for your buck in a 996. You can probably find a light speed quick 996 turbo for a decent price. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the information, I am going to check out both of those forums. Today I checked out a 996 targa that was just traded in at the local Porsche dealership. The price is certainly a selling point, but I am not sure I can get past the abomination they call headlights on the 996.

The salesman told me that they are reluctant to take 997s in trade because the price is beginning the slide to bottom, and it's real easy to take a bath on one. He said the 996s have reached bottom so they are not as risky from the dealership's perspective. Hopefully I can get a good deal on a 997 and save the 993 and eventually 930 for when I am a seasoned 911 owner.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by kobanna
Thanks for the information, I am going to check out both of those forums. Today I checked out a 996 targa that was just traded in at the local Porsche dealership. The price is certainly a selling point, but I am not sure I can get past the abomination they call headlights on the 996.

The salesman told me that they are reluctant to take 997s in trade because the price is beginning the slide to bottom, and it's real easy to take a bath on one. He said the 996s have reached bottom so they are not as risky from the dealership's perspective. Hopefully I can get a good deal on a 997 and save the 993 and eventually 930 for when I am a seasoned 911 owner.
Planet-9.com is the Porsche equivalent to AudiWorld. I actually discovered them after ordering my new Porsche in 2006 (2007 MY). There are many more Porsche sites than Audi for sure! Unless you are bent on a 911, the 981 Cayman is a good alternative for less money and offers more bang for the buck. Plus, it will haul a lot more groceries and luggage! ☺️
Old 01-03-2015, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Arrow

+1 on rennlist.com

Also check out a magazine called 'Excellence'

EDIT: Pratfall's suggestion of 996 Turbo is a good one... Basically you get the Mezger designed engine but in a slightly cheaper package with awesome specs. And if you plan on hauling kids they will fit in the 911 back seat.

Last edited by A7_TDI; 01-03-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

When you first drive your 911 take the time initially to get comfortable with its driving dynamics. You will be coming from an A8 which is about as stable as it gets to a vehicle with about sixty percent of its weight over the rear axel, and depending on the vintage it may not have stability control. The rear end can spin out. The rule for a 911 is never, never hit the brakes in a turn, and don't even lift off the gas if you are aggressive in a turn. Brake if you have to before the turn and then power thru the turn. If the tail slips out, steer in the direction of the slide, and get on the gas hard. This tendency of a 911 is actually what makes it so much fun to drive because you can influence the rate of turn with the gas pedal. I used to practice by going into a clover leaf off a highway fast, then back off so the tail went out a bit, then give it gas to correct things. Do that a few times and you won't be taken by surprise.

I realize this probably comes across as lecturing, but I think it is important and I gave the same lecture to my son. Enjoy, Mike
Old 01-04-2015, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mike911A8
When you first drive your 911 take the time initially to get comfortable with its driving dynamics. You will be coming from an A8 which is about as stable as it gets to a vehicle with about sixty percent of its weight over the rear axel, and depending on the vintage it may not have stability control. The rear end can spin out. The rule for a 911 is never, never hit the brakes in a turn, and don't even lift off the gas if you are aggressive in a turn. Brake if you have to before the turn and then power thru the turn. If the tail slips out, steer in the direction of the slide, and get on the gas hard. This tendency of a 911 is actually what makes it so much fun to drive because you can influence the rate of turn with the gas pedal. I used to practice by going into a clover leaf off a highway fast, then back off so the tail went out a bit, then give it gas to correct things. Do that a few times and you won't be taken by surprise.

I realize this probably comes across as lecturing, but I think it is important and I gave the same lecture to my son. Enjoy, Mike
Yesterday the sales person asked me if I wanted to take a test drive. I told him it was pointless, to go from a font engine AWD car, to test a rear engine RWD in the rain, I would be puttering like a little old lady. I know 911s have claimed their fair share of mid life crisis lives among men who never gave a second thought about the unique driving dynamics of a 911. I am even considering a Carerra 4 just because of this, but am not sure if I want to lose that unique dynamic.

This is the type of " lecture" everyone seriously considering a 911 should be required to have before getting behind the wheel of one. I may even purchase some track time and a 911 instructor after I get the car.

Quick Reply: Porsche info