A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche info

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Along with all the other great sies mentioned, PCA.org is the Porsche Club of America although not sure how much content is available to non-members. For parts, upgrades, etc., Suncoast and Pelican are two good ones along with Rennslist as mentioned.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rennlist and 6speedonline have been very helpful to me. Active and well-informed forum members on both.

Agree with OP's inclination about a 993 or 997 if that is the budget.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A couple of things to consider. The 993's were the last air cooled 911's and seem to be appreciating. However, most on the market have some miles on them. If you are looking for a low mileage example expect to pay some $$$.

The 996 was the first water cooled model. The 996 engine has a reputation within the Porsche world as being a problem, especially the early models. This engine has an intermediate shaft that has bearing problems. The bearing seal was redesigned a couple of times and the bearing itself was redesigned a couple of times. A failure usually results in a $20,000 bill. The 996 is also equipped with the Tiptronic transmission.

The 997 comes in two variations. The 997.1 still has the engine with the intermediate shaft that may or may not be a problem and is equipped with the Tiptronic transmission. Having had a 996 and a 997.1 I can tell you there was significant inprovement IMHO on the new model. It drove much better and looked better.

The 997.2 retained the 997.1 body style for the most part but came with a completely new engine and transmission. The engine eliminates the problematic intermediate shaft and is a direct injection engine. The engine in the 997.2 has significantly more torque at lower RPM's. However the most dramatic change was the introduction of the PDK transmission.

The PDK transmission is not an "automatic" transmission in the classic sense of the word. The PDK does not contain a torque converter. It has "wet" clutches that are controlled by computer. It has several modes of operation which include the ability to drive by placing the transmission gear selector in the "automatic" mode and it then drives very similar to a conventional automatic. You can also select to drive in manual mode where you can select the gear changes using paddles, gear shift lever or steering wheel buttons.

I've owned a 996, 997.1, and a 997.2. The 997.2 was introduced in model year 2009, and is far superior in my mind and experience to the earlier models.

Of course, each also comes with a standard transmission if that is your preference.

If I were in the market for what you describe I would definitely be looking for a 997.2 with less than 50,000 miles and a good service record. Mine has 50,000 and has been absolutely trouble free.

I would also recommend the PCA website for cars for sale.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
A couple of things to consider. The 993's were the last air cooled 911's and seem to be appreciating. However, most on the market have some miles on them. If you are looking for a low mileage example expect to pay some $$$.

The 996 was the first water cooled model. The 996 engine has a reputation within the Porsche world as being a problem, especially the early models. This engine has an intermediate shaft that has bearing problems. The bearing seal was redesigned a couple of times and the bearing itself was redesigned a couple of times. A failure usually results in a $20,000 bill. The 996 is also equipped with the Tiptronic transmission.

The 997 comes in two variations. The 997.1 still has the engine with the intermediate shaft that may or may not be a problem and is equipped with the Tiptronic transmission. Having had a 996 and a 997.1 I can tell you there was significant inprovement IMHO on the new model. It drove much better and looked better.

The 997.2 retained the 997.1 body style for the most part but came with a completely new engine and transmission. The engine eliminates the problematic intermediate shaft and is a direct injection engine. The engine in the 997.2 has significantly more torque at lower RPM's. However the most dramatic change was the introduction of the PDK transmission.

The PDK transmission is not an "automatic" transmission in the classic sense of the word. The PDK does not contain a torque converter. It has "wet" clutches that are controlled by computer. It has several modes of operation which include the ability to drive by placing the transmission gear selector in the "automatic" mode and it then drives very similar to a conventional automatic. You can also select to drive in manual mode where you can select the gear changes using paddles, gear shift lever or steering wheel buttons.

I've owned a 996, 997.1, and a 997.2. The 997.2 was introduced in model year 2009, and is far superior in my mind and experience to the earlier models.

Of course, each also comes with a standard transmission if that is your preference.

If I were in the market for what you describe I would definitely be looking for a 997.2 with less than 50,000 miles and a good service record. Mine has 50,000 and has been absolutely trouble free.

I would also recommend the PCA website for cars for sale.
Thanks RED, this was exactly the type of information I was looking for, and also explains the significant price jump starting on 09 models.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Tomtom,I agree completely with RED HORSE with his overview and his option that the 997.2 is the way to go, but it is big money. I suggest you also look at the 1984-1989 911. I own one of each, and love each of them, but they are quite different. The first year I owned the 997 I drove it twice as much as the 1985 911, the next year it was about 60-40, and now the split is about 50-50. If I have a passenger, or if it's very hot (the AC in a 1985 is not too effective), I drive the 997. But if I'm by my self, more and more it's the 1985 911.

By now I suspect that we are beginning to annoy some of the group with all this Porsche chatter, so I'll throw them a bone--twice when I went to the dealer to test drive a new 911, first around 1990 and then about ten years later, instead of buying a 911 I bought an Audi instead! Mike
Old 01-04-2015, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the OP is just looking for fun, I would suggest he also consider a Boxster. I've also had a Boxster and it was the most "fun" of my Porsches. Just avoid the models with the intermediate shaft just as in the 911's.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To the OP - lots of good comments below but if looking at 911 then do be aware of differences between n/a and turbo engines in the 996 / 997 variants. The turbo models used a different motor designed by Hans Mezger. And if you look at the various prices then the 996T could be an awesome performance bargain with over 400 hp and full time AWD...

(I still like driving my 993 even if it's no faster to 60 mph than my diesel A7.)

Last edited by A7_TDI; 01-04-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

What Red Horse said, I would also add if you go 996 do the Turbo. That avoids the IMS issues all together because its the GT1 block. Also with 996 the IMS bearing are accessible for service, where in the 997.1 (05-08 of the common carrera 2 and 4 models) its accessible, but its a full engine out and break down service. (labor intensive)

Something most would want to avoid. If you do 997 get it from carmax and get a good warranty so if the engine does decide to self destruct the warranty company is on the hook for 20k not you.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent point on the IMS - it ain't pretty at all.

Our last Porsche had an IMS Guardian, or as I called it a Game Over light.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:32 AM
Banned

OP mentioned a targa, while I only sold OE parts for Porsche and have never owned one, I'll say the targas in the 996 range did have issues with squeaks and rattles. On the IMS, if I remember correctly there is a kit with upgraded bearings that can reduce the chances of failure on those 996 engines. If you found a car you like, get that kit installed for piece of mind. The later year 996 engines, from 02-04 had fewer problems with the IMS, plus they bumped HP up to 320 in those years. I do have a friend with an 04 996T and he loves the car, even the headlights although they are zenon in the turbo cars.
You do owe it to yourself to drive a Boxster though. The only dog I have in this fight is I drove an 04 Boxster S and 2010 Boxster S back to back. That 2010 made me drool, and you get a top down car in the summer! Said could be said of the Cayman too. This was a few years back but 2 Porsche driving instructors I know of sold a GT3, the other a Corvette, and both bought Cayman S.

Quick Reply: Porsche info