A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reliability with a tune

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Reliability with a tune

As I get ready to sell a car and a house, I look to fall back into a D4, this time with the 4.0t, most likely an S8. It'll be difficult to find one I like, since only the brown or beige interiors with wood accents appeal to me. That brings me to my question. For those who have tuned either version of the 4.0t, how have they held up? Any problems to report and who have you used to tune it? Anyone put any real mileage on a tuned example?
Old 03-17-2017, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
As I get ready to sell a car and a house, I look to fall back into a D4, this time with the 4.0t, most likely an S8. It'll be difficult to find one I like, since only the brown or beige interiors with wood accents appeal to me. That brings me to my question. For those who have tuned either version of the 4.0t, how have they held up? Any problems to report and who have you used to tune it? Anyone put any real mileage on a tuned example?
Jack, no data but a suggestion. Prowl the S6 and S7 boards since it is really the same motor and tune ramifications as A8 4.0T. RS7 gets you S8 comparable too. Not same tranny for S6/S7 at margin, but same longevity issues on motor side. A lot more of those out there, and a younger demographic for first and other early owners.

FWIW, I've seen surprisingly few posts about issues. Try boards here, but also Audizine. There the C7 board is all combined across C7 A6/S6/A7/S7/RS7, and they tend to be more tune happy...and brash at times. Definitely see a lot more tune posts there. On the other hand, their D4 A8/S8 board (combined with all the other D generations) should be put out of its misery--mostly just tumbleweeds (and vendor posts) blow through in any given month.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-17-2017 at 05:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
09S5 (08-12-2021)
Old 03-19-2017, 06:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got 56k on a 2013 A8L 4.0T with an APR Stage 1 tune. Only issue I've had is PCV valve, but doubt that was result of tune. Appears to be a known issue, tune or no tune. Considered S8 but reality was a tuned A8 seemed a better use of money.

BTW, I may be selling soon as we are in need of a large SUV.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Getting a tune definitely changes a whole lot on the car as far as power goes. Reliability hasnt been an issue yet (only 3k miles on the tune since my warranty was up), but i did have a motor mount go bad. Not sure if it was already on its way or if it was broken already (didnt feel much or know much about mounts before), but it could he from the extra torque on the car as well. Besides that, no issues yet and worth every penny. I got the APR tune on my 13 A8L
Old 03-20-2017, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No issues on APR here. My turbo oil line leaked and was repaired under CPO, but I heard it is not an uncommon problem. Car seems to run better on APR too... don't know how else to explain it.

Prices started to come down pretty quick in the beginning of the year on CPO S8. Maybe worth waiting a bit.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Glad to hear no issues. With either car, the extra schnell at such a bargain price is tempting, but I just want to do my diligence to see what others have experienced. I appreciate the input, anyone with an S8 care to chime in?
Old 03-21-2017, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyVegasTT
No issues on APR here. My turbo oil line leaked and was repaired under CPO, but I heard it is not an uncommon problem. Car seems to run better on APR too... don't know how else to explain it.

Prices started to come down pretty quick in the beginning of the year on CPO S8. Maybe worth waiting a bit.
i currently have the same problem with my turbo oil line and coolant line. I seen there's a tsb on those starting from the s6 and s7 to A8 up to the year of 2013. I bought new seals for them I'm just waiting to have them changed by my mechanic as I'm unfortunately out of warranty. Out of curiosity, did you Have the whole lines changed or they changed just the seals? Ive heard of dealers doing it both ways.
Definitely don't think its from the tune though as it is a tsb for my year model anyway.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Don't know, but I was told it's about a $1,400 job.

Originally Posted by Nermb
i currently have the same problem with my turbo oil line and coolant line. I seen there's a tsb on those starting from the s6 and s7 to A8 up to the year of 2013. I bought new seals for them I'm just waiting to have them changed by my mechanic as I'm unfortunately out of warranty. Out of curiosity, did you Have the whole lines changed or they changed just the seals? Ive heard of dealers doing it both ways.
Definitely don't think its from the tune though as it is a tsb for my year model anyway.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a s8 with apr downpipe and mtm stage 2 ecu. No problems yet but only done 4K miles. My buddy have a s8 with mtm stage 1 and have done over 40k miles with a total of 76k miles on the car with no problems. It all comes Down to how u treate the car. If u warm it up before pushing it and remember to let it cool Down before u turn it off u wont have other issues then the onces u where gonna have in the first place
The following users liked this post:
09S5 (08-12-2021)
Old 03-21-2017, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey there i have mine 2014 s8 64k miles revo stage 1 650hp no problems so far and i can switch between 4 tunes including back to factory mode which is night and day difference.... it drives perfectly i had it on for 12k already so go for it

Quick Reply: Reliability with a tune