A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8:too many annoying features

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S8:too many annoying features

Just recently picked up my 2015 S8. For the money they charge for this vehicle, it should be flawless. Unfortunately there are 4 things that i feel are design flaws that quite frankly no other high end OEM has.
1. Front sensors. I cannot believe the only way the front sensors work is by pushing a button. Safety features should be able to be shut off but never should you have to remember to put them on. Ridiculous
2. Night vision: once again a safety feature that needs to be put on every time you start the car. Forgot to put it on this morning and as luck would have, I just missed hitting a deer. Clearly by virtue of the fact I paid to have this option means I want to use it. Why do I have to remember to put it on every time i start the vehicle?
3. High Beam assist. Once again needs to be put on every time you start the car. I have owned Mercedes, BMW, etc and those cars are smart enough to remember to put them back on if they were engaged when you shut the car.
4. This may be the dumbest of all. Why in the instrument cluster does the car insist that I hit a button every time I start the car to use my radio presets. It defaults to all the stations and not your presets. This is the only car I have seen do that.

Bottom line, for $120,000 this car should allow the driver to use these features custom to his likes and not automatically shut them off. I feel like a fighter pilot when I start the car having to hit all sorts of buttons before I drive away. If you are deciding between a A8/S8 and a Mercedes S class or the BMW 7, I recommend Mercedes or BMW. The Audi engineers need a wakeup call.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

I've already used up my monthly soap box quota, so anyone else want to chime in here? Wow, just unbelievable.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeDHolmdel
Just recently picked up my 2015 S8. For the money they charge for this vehicle, it should be flawless. Unfortunately there are 4 things that i feel are design flaws that quite frankly no other high end OEM has.
1. Front sensors. I cannot believe the only way the front sensors work is by pushing a button. Safety features should be able to be shut off but never should you have to remember to put them on. Ridiculous
2. Night vision: once again a safety feature that needs to be put on every time you start the car. Forgot to put it on this morning and as luck would have, I just missed hitting a deer. Clearly by virtue of the fact I paid to have this option means I want to use it. Why do I have to remember to put it on every time i start the vehicle?
3. High Beam assist. Once again needs to be put on every time you start the car. I have owned Mercedes, BMW, etc and those cars are smart enough to remember to put them back on if they were engaged when you shut the car.
4. This may be the dumbest of all. Why in the instrument cluster does the car insist that I hit a button every time I start the car to use my radio presets. It defaults to all the stations and not your presets. This is the only car I have seen do that.

Bottom line, for $120,000 this car should allow the driver to use these features custom to his likes and not automatically shut them off. I feel like a fighter pilot when I start the car having to hit all sorts of buttons before I drive away. If you are deciding between a A8/S8 and a Mercedes S class or the BMW 7, I recommend Mercedes or BMW. The Audi engineers need a wakeup call.
Only 4 things? You must be able to whine better than that. I just picked up my 2015 S8 as well. My previous three vehicles include a Maserati Quattroporte, BMW X5, and Cayenne S. They were all fine cars but everyone of them had a list of 5 or more annoying things like that.

What vehicle have you owned that has fewer than 4 annoyances?
Old 10-30-2014, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Don't all cars with parking sensors and night vision require you to push a button to use those features? I know my 2014 BMW and Mercedes do.

And yes, I agree with KBrookings that there is not a single car I have ever driven that does not have annoying features and the S8 is no exception. But I could give half a sh*t about them because whenever I floor it, the grin it gives me is priceless.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So apart from the issues mentioned do you like it?
Old 10-31-2014, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

But I could give half a sh*t about them because whenever I floor it, the grin it gives me is priceless.
Right On! It is a fabulous car!
Old 10-31-2014, 06:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Joe,

Are you from Holmdel? I grew up in Manalapan...

Regardless, I feel there are many other large inconveniences that you could complain about, such as the whacky Dynamic Steering, that I can't ever seem to find a sweet spot with, or this random chirping that comes through my speakers as I drive. These are the things that annoy me, not having to remember to turn the automatic headlights on. That being said, I love my car, and coming from a S6 it is a vast improvement.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep they make it really easy to overlook the niggly stuff when you put the hammer down, and so many other nice things about these vehicles.

I always enjoy watching these rants when owners 'feel' something should be 'perfect'; whether they are new or 10 years old.
My typical response is "Get ahold of Art over in Engineering"....
Old 10-31-2014, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I had WAY more than 4 small things in the BMW I sent back.

The A8 to me is FAR superior to the BMW!
Old 10-31-2014, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have to admit, I do agree with number 4. It would be nice if it remembered that you were previously looking at presets.

Quick Reply: S8:too many annoying features