A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sd card audio quality

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not always 100% true - they may throttle quality through their apps, but if you play via their web site you will beat those limits.

I agree with you on properly ripped and encoded, however iTunes routinely is at 256 kbps, and most CDs only contain 192kbps. If you up the sample rate to 320 kbps for a self rip, you're most likely getting fill in or interpolation information based on the design of your ripper, and not based on the music of the artist.

Many non-audiophiles will have used the ripping s/w in Windows Media Player - older versions of Windows defaulted the rip rate to 128 or even 96 kbps based on the amount of disk space, RAM, and processor speed, so older PC based self rips will often be lower quality. One of these years I may get around to re-ripping my older collection...

Some other stores routinely go to a higher bit rate (and yes, iTunes occasionally does also) - I always find it a little annoying that when purchasing music you usually don't know in advance what quality you're getting.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Seaclav
Not always 100% true - they may throttle quality through their apps, but if you play via their web site you will beat those limits.
Well, copy and paste from that Pandora website link I posted:

"Pandora on the Web plays 64k AAC+ for free listeners and 192kbps for Pandora One subscribers. All in-home devices play 128kbps audio, and mobile devices receive a variety of different rates depending on the capability of the device and the network they are on, but never more than 64k AAC+."

All I said was Pandora through a mobile device maxes out at 64 kbps AAC+, which is exactly what it says, bolded. Sure, the Pandora website plays 64 kbps for free listeners and 192 kbps for Pandora One subscribers, but I assumed we are talking about using a mobile device in your car, not the website.

In any case, the question is which one has better quality, Pandora or SD card? If even the Pandora One subscription through the website maxes out at 192 kbps, then you can easily do better by ripping your own CDs and encoding to 320 kbps AAC.

Originally Posted by Seaclav
I agree with you on properly ripped and encoded, however iTunes routinely is at 256 kbps, and most CDs only contain 192kbps. If you up the sample rate to 320 kbps for a self rip, you're most likely getting fill in or interpolation information based on the design of your ripper, and not based on the music of the artist.
What do you mean by "most CDs only contain 192kbps"?

Original, store bought CDs that are properly mastered are uncompressed 44100 Hz x 16 bit x 2 channel = 1,411.2 kbps.

But sure, I've seen some homemade CDs that were made from compressed mp3s, and even some independent label CDs that sound pretty bad. Is that what you're talking about?

Also, I'm only talking about using iTunes to encode your own CD rips to AAC, because it is one of the freely available AAC encoders. I'm not talking about music bought from the iTunes store. Most of the mainstream music websites only sell compressed formats. I only buy compressed music as a last resort. Most of my library is ripped from the original CDs using Exact Audio Copy, and stored as FLAC on my computer. Then I actually use foobar2000 and lame to encode a copy to mp3 for my car.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Assuming that the comparison is done on an equal playing field, (meaning that the comparison is between a properly ripped and encoded MP3, and the EXACT SAME music file streamed over Pandora) then there is absolutely zero chance that Pandora streaming on an iPhone would be higher resolution than an SD Card or Jukebox.

As stated above, the music streamed over the air is compressed to a low bitrate.

Furthermore, the Bluetooth connection to the car is also compressed with a second layer of lossy encoding. It's better to use the AMI connection than Bluetooth.

If users are perceiving any quality differences then it's either a difference in the source music or your ears playing tricks on you. To an untrained ear the louder of two audio sources is typically perceived as "better."

A difference in the source music is the most likely culprit. Most people do not rip and encode their own music so they have no idea what they are actually getting. If you are purchasing music from iTunes, then you are not getting high quality. Period. If you are illegally downloading tracks from the internet, then you will have absolutely no idea what you are getting. The file might say 320k, but it could have been encoded to 320k from a 120k source. You can't regain audio quality from a lossy format. Once you encode to lossy, the data is thrown away and you can't get it back. So the people who re-encode low bitrate MP3 files to higher rates are still listening to low bitrates just with higher file size.

My music collection is almost entirely in Apple Lossless, and I am in the process of migrating to FLAC (now that I have a 24 bit FLAC player in the car). I always buy my music on physical CD and rip it myself using XLD.

Recently I began purchasing some high res downloads from HDTracks.com
Not much, however, because the selection is still not very good.

Last edited by subterFUSE; 05-08-2015 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

This has been an interesting discussion on various components of recordings and the final sound that is produced. For once, I am elated that I am ignorant of all the various vagaries of digitally recorded and reproduced sound for purposes of entertainment. When I listen to to my B & O system in my A8L or the Bose in my Porsche or the Mark Levinson in the Lexus, it is to take a walk down memory lane or to think about a certain place or person or event or just to enjoy time in the vehicle usually while on the Interstate. When driving seriously, there is no sound of any kind except from the exhaust system and engine while enjoying the feel of power from the 4.0T or flat 6 while carving curves or secretly conquering the Ring. The last thing I am thinking about in any of those situations is bits or bites or hisses or pops or flutter or wow. Give me Sirius, Pandora, a great CD or whatever medium has the sounds for which I am currently in the mood and I am a happy clam. Heck, I still listen to 33's, 45's and 78's on a turntable with an analog amp when the mood strikes! And I must not be alone as vinyl is the hottest selling music medium going right now! It's the music, not the method.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
My music collection is almost entirely in Apple Lossless, and I am in the process of migrating to FLAC (now that I have a 24 bit FLAC player in the car).
I have been unable to work this one out. In a previous post you (if I'm not mistaken) also mentioned using tracks from HDTracks, but as far as I know, none of the available formats on that site are supported by the Audi MMI system? So I guess when you are referring to a FLAC player in the Audi, you are referring to a device you have added yourself? Would you mind elaborating on what you have added and how you connected it to the MMI?
Thanks.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help

With so many audiophiles here, I appeal for your help...I ripped a cd on my mini Mac under the AAC protocol, and the Mimi says it has no readable media....I then ripped one under the MP3 protocol, and again Mmi says no readable media.....an anyone help? Thx
Old 05-12-2015, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by BFN949
I have been unable to work this one out. In a previous post you (if I'm not mistaken) also mentioned using tracks from HDTracks, but as far as I know, none of the available formats on that site are supported by the Audi MMI system? So I guess when you are referring to a FLAC player in the Audi, you are referring to a device you have added yourself? Would you mind elaborating on what you have added and how you connected it to the MMI?
Thanks.
Check my signature pic.

I'm running a full aftermarket audio system.
FLAC files via Audison BitPlay HD media player. Connects via Optical Digital directly into my DSP. Video output displays on MMI screen.

Last edited by subterFUSE; 05-12-2015 at 06:38 PM.