A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Servicing your transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
Not sure if this applies to the Audi but Lexus owners were finding that if you pulled your car up on front ramps vs being level you are able to get 2 - 3 more quarts out on a drain. I assume many just measure the amount drained and refill the same amount.
Drain was in front of pan on D3 (six speed) so harder w/ ramp idea. You also need it really level for the fill and moving it w/ fluid out doesn't fly. The biggest areas that I found in the drain difference pan on vs. pan removed were: 1. A recess in pan where the filter fits, which tilting won't change much. 2. Fluid that hangs up above filter, and only drains very slowly if you don't pull it--more so w/ the pan recess. Best practice is a filter pull anyway, though more hassle and you don't repeat it w/ sequential drains.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks MP4.2+6.0,

This is really good info. I also called and spoke to Blau parts and they sell a kit with 9 quarts and filter for $307 shipped with discount.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Drain was in front of pan on D3 (six speed) so harder w/ ramp idea. You also need it really level for the fill and moving it w/ fluid out doesn't fly. The biggest areas that I found in the drain difference pan on vs. pan removed were: 1. A recess in pan where the filter fits, which tilting won't change much. 2. Fluid that hangs up above filter, and only drains very slowly if you don't pull it--more so w/ the pan recess. Best practice is a filter pull anyway, though more hassle and you don't repeat it w/ sequential drains.
Yep, the car needs to be level and the fluid at operating temperature (use your VAG) to accurately divine the correct fluid level.

I'm a firm believer in the drain/refill method and do it 3 times over the course of about a week. And I do that approximately every 60k miles. Probably overkill, but it makes me happy.

Best,
Old 02-14-2017, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ritz
Yep, the car needs to be level and the fluid at operating temperature (use your VAG) to accurately divine the correct fluid level.

I'm a firm believer in the drain/refill method and do it 3 times over the course of about a week. And I do that approximately every 60k miles. Probably overkill, but it makes me happy.

Best,
So you don't drop the pan to do the filter? I would think one would want this done.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you don't drop the pan to do the filter? I would think one would want this done.
Yes, if you want to change the filter you need to drop the pan. I usually don't bother.

Best,
Old 02-14-2017, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
I don't go past 100k miles on anything without a transmission service, much sooner in higher performing applications. By the time you notice an issue, it's too late. On the A8, I figured every 75k miles, but if ZF recommends it sooner, that may be on the outer limit of what you should do. A 125k miles is just plain late, by a long shot, Baloo. I'd schedule that right now, if I were you.
Yikes ok I will give my own Audi service guy a call up and see what the cost for it and get it done soon with my 125k miles maintenance. Dont know why my local indecent mechanic was saying it cannot be done (duh it can be done and its just that they are "following" Audi statement that its lifetime), heck nothing is lifetime... I would hope its not too much around 800 bucks thats ridiculous!
Old 02-14-2017, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Yes, did it on my D3 A8 W12. Did it on my 2000 C5 A6 4.2. ZF--the tranny maker, actually did yused to have a service interval for even what they call "normal" service. But in middle of the life of my C5--and with no change to tranny or fluid, they revised position to say only needed for severe service.

From Audi's perspective it is just lifetime. Here's what that means, direct from the mouth of Fritz (the lying service meister too busy doktoring TDI's): When vee say lifetime, vee stand entirely behind zat. Just like vee do about our clean... That is, zee fluid will last exactly the lifetime of the transmission, and not one kilometer more or less. Vee guaranty it, just like so many other things vee realized to label lifetime. Presto, zehr gut marketing genius. Helps us on our make believe carbon accounting by the way too--no lie. Just trust us. Any questions, just send a note to my assistant, the Sarge, Sergeant Schultz. He vill take care of you, real good.

Less tongue in cheek, here is what ZF says these days:
At very high operating temperatures, the oil in automatic transmissions ages faster than under normal conditions – for instance due to a very sporty driving style or frequent trailer operation. Depending on the driving style, ZF Aftermarket therefore recommends a transmission oil change every 100,000 km or after 8 years at the latest. See: Oil change kits for a fast repair - ZF Friedrichshafen AG
They used to quote a range of 60-100K kilometers and be more specific with a reference to severe conditions--which they botched the translation of and used to label "offensive driving." I actually also own the one Audi with a ZF 8 speed that still does have a survice interval--every 35K miles on a Q5 Hybrid. There is no torque converter and fluid gets even more of a workout apparently. Having had it done (covered by AudiCare), dealer seems to basically just pull plug and do a quick single cycle drain--meaning maybe half come out on any one drain.

Finally, having drained the D3 W12 a few times, it actually doesn't drain nearly as dirty looking as older trannies used to. From talking to some ZF types, they note that with the elimination of lead as a permitted material, various internals of trannies that used to rely on it as an inherent lubricant in bearing/load parts no longer can. That lead and softer bearing material was probably part of what you would see in older fluid drains. That basically then means steel on steel in any newer design where RoHS compliance comes in. The lubricant quality becomes that much more crucial, especially if it is in a controlled bleed (rate) component as you can find in a modern tranny.
Hey what do you think is a reasonable price for the labor cost to do the draining on my 2012 A8l?
Old 02-14-2017, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The reason I brought up this subject is to shed light on a very deceptive practice auto manufacturers take because they want the vehicle to appear as maintenance free as possible to the detriment of longevity. To the detriment of our pocketbooks who desire a vehicle to last as long as possible. In the 2004 - 2006 Lexus LS430 with the "sealed" transmission / "lifetime" fluid which is a good example as there are a lot of high mileage vehicles around. Those who serviced their transmissions are getting 250+ miles without problems. Those who did not are having to replace the transmission often around 150k miles.

I noticed the first couple of shifts this pretty cold morning on my new to me 14 were not as smooth as I think they should be. This is a sign that the transmission should be servied. Dropping the pan and replacing filter is definitely more expensive then just a drain and refill. Not sure which route I want to take. Considering it about $350 in parts I'm thinking labor would be close for the same. Transmission fluid is rather expensive for this car. I may go the drain and refill route for now and do the filter around 100k miles.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

The reason I brought up this subject is to shed light on a very deceptive practice auto manufacturers take because they want the vehicle to appear as maintenance free as possible to the detriment of longevity. To the detriment of our pocketbooks who desire a vehicle to last as long as possible. In the 2004 - 2006 Lexus LS430 with the "sealed" transmission / "lifetime" fluid which is a good example as there are a lot of high mileage vehicles around. Those who serviced their transmissions are getting 250+ miles without problems. Those who did not are having to replace the transmission often around 150k miles.

I noticed the first couple of shifts this pretty cold morning on my new to me 14 were not as smooth as I think they should be. This is a sign that the transmission should be servied. Dropping the pan and replacing filter is definitely more expensive then just a drain and refill. Not sure which route I want to take. Considering it about $350 in parts I'm thinking labor would be close for the same. Transmission fluid is rather expensive for this car. I may go the drain and refill route for now and do the filter around 100k miles.
Correct on what you note. Also, it helps them game total cost of ownership calc's you see once in a while, since anything on the maintenance chart enters into the service cost calculation. Companies like BMW (and the Mini I owned) also gamed that on basic oil service, claiming in the CBS extended drain interval turb motors souls often go the better part of two years and 15K miles plus. Until a lot of motor issues started showing up... A lot of buyers alos wouldn't know a transmission anyway from a piece of metal get warm fuzzies too about "maintenance free."

You can get the dealer fluid via the mail order places like audiusaparts.com for a fair amount less. What I have done, especially on the D3 W12 that used a specialized version not commonly available. Or, ZF LifeGuard 8 is exactly the same as the Audi fluid for the eight speeds if you find that cheaper. Seems about the same price via the Bay web sellers for ZF8 as it is for discounted dealer. Some use third party fluid that apparently meets same spec, but for a $6-10K tranny job and on a newer nice car, not my cup of tea.

Agreed on service at signs of roughness. Can be low fluid level too ,though that should be checked anyway since if low logically there is a leak.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-14-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Living on borrowed time!

Originally Posted by Baloo588
I tried to get all my independent shops to service my transmission but they decline and says its lifetime. I am at 125k miles without issues so I am not going to mess with it.
Even ZF says to change it. I've never had any problem with paying a dealer to change it.
Perhaps your indecent shops aren't willing to take the liability if changing the fluid results in transmission failure. There are anecdotal if not apocryphal tales of such things happening.

That being said, I've serviced filter and fluid on several 5HP19 trans; one failed (new car) at 32K, was replaced under warranty, another bought used S6 wagon serviced at 64K failed at 107K, installed new xmsm and was still running at 180K when car was totaled by insurance company after daughter running it into the back of a Toyota. Kind of ambivalent there because it was due for timing belt and transmission service anyway so a couple thou to the good but down one S6..sigh.

YMMV but I would get the transmission fluid and filter changed at least every 50K miles.

Quick Reply: Servicing your transmission fluid?