A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I purchase Audi Care on 2013 CPO A8?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Should I purchase Audi Care on 2013 CPO A8?

So I'm getting close to finalizing on one of a few different '13 A8L 4.0T CPOs. Amazing all are around 35K miles and have a little less than a year to the remaining warranty. 35K mile service already done. I'm wondering if it makes sense to do Audi Care at the time of purchase? I didn't do it when I bought D3 '05 A8 and I do remember the services being expensive. As soon as my CPO warranty expired I found a very good local indy who I used for all of my other services, including brakes and timing belt.

I tried seaching but the search tool on this forum is weak at best. I am not very handy so I wouldn't be doing the services myself. I like my local indy but I've never seen him working on a D4. I do see many last gen BMW 7 series and S classes, not the latest gen which makes sense as most are probably still under warranty.

Any recommendations? Thanks!
Old 04-22-2016, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have the dealer check to see if it already has Audicare. My last two used audi purchases already had the audicare on the cars. Bonus! Regardless, I think there's an Audi care (audicare plus?) for CPO cars after 40k miles. Something you may want to look at.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

I usually suggest getting AudiCare, and did myself, BUT... If car just had the 35K done, that is the major service with plugs and air filters and such on a 4.0T. 45K is a glorified oil change. 55K is a slightly elevated glorified oil change, and them 65K repeats 45K. Not until 75K do you see a major service interval again. Also, in the last year or two they fundamentally changed pricing on extended AudiCare called "Select" for a mid mileage car like this to only cover two intervals instead of three--nice way to slide in a big price change and frankly makes it non compelling except for a few corner cases.

Net, for an oil change and one brake fluid flush (every 2 years, so every other one), doesn't pencil out for me applying your facts. $1099 in that case--45K and 55K. If it were 3.0T BTW, then somewhat better, because its major interval happens at 55K instead of 35K. And on mine where miles were low, and all 4 from 15K through 45K including the biggie at 35K for $1169, a different conclusion. So your question is correct too: one size does not fit all as far as fact patterns and std. AudiCare vs. higher mileage Select variables.

2013 service schedule: https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...-Year-2013.pdf

AudiCare pricing and variables, including how Select varies: https://www.audiusa.com/myaudi/servi...audi-audi-care

As mentioned, see if VIN is on file already as having original AudiCare since ittransfers w/ car. Dealers can either not be that careful checking it, or frankly maybe not so forthcoming to see what sticks. If it has been serviced via Audi so far, it strikes me as a fair chance the answer is likely yes that it already has it. I had to inquire pretty specifically on mine to get a straight answer--which I will still double check again when it goes in for first AudiCare service.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-22-2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I have purchased AudiCare for my 2015 A84.0T, it covers the 15,25,35 and 45,000 miles services, what really got me into this is that the Audi dealer will perform the services at the mentioned intervals or every year, so I'm covered for four years, it made sense for me since I'm not driving my cars too much but wanted the maintenance to be performed, it was less than $1200.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the replies all! In reading Audi Care faq (thanks MP4.2+6.0!) it says you can buy multiple packages of Audi Care up front. I was wondering if it is possible to buy the 65K and 75K one without having the 45K and 55K. Probably a pipe dream, but that would be the best. Seeing that 45K and 55K are really nothing I will probably leave it to my indy who has treated me well over the past few years.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

My car had Audicare and I purchased Audicare plus at the time of service. Unless you are getting an extra special discount because you are applying it at the time of vehical purchase, I wouldn't worry about rushing it if you're on the fence. The D4 isn't particularly complicated of a car, if your Indy could handle a timing belt D3, he should have no problem with a D4.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by theanimala
Thanks for the replies all! In reading Audi Care faq (thanks MP4.2+6.0!) it says you can buy multiple packages of Audi Care up front. I was wondering if it is possible to buy the 65K and 75K one without having the 45K and 55K. Probably a pipe dream, but that would be the best. Seeing that 45K and 55K are really nothing I will probably leave it to my indy who has treated me well over the past few years.
Actually...that is what I am thinking on 2013 Q5 Hybrid. It's a corner case example. I have new car AudiCare thru 45K interval. On Hybrid, 75K picks up not only plugs (only 4 banger) but also...another tranny fluid service. Unique among any Audi with the ZF 8 speed. Can't buy the 65K+75K version until I hit 50K under current terms if you look at that link, so I will find out then. As it reads today, seems do-able.

But maybe only in that sort of corner case is it getting past the line comfortably on the value equation. S8 is closer too since then two air boxes with same 75K second major service--both the added filter and the complexity to pull second set of stuff to get at plugs on that side. W12 is another corner case easier one w/ both the extra plugs and the extra air box and labor. Audi doesn't really filter well for these motor differences on A8/S8, though they do on other models some.

Closer call to me on a straight 4.0T A8/L, but as we are both seeing only at 65-75K, not at 55-65K or 45-55K. At 65-75K, it is basically a std. tune up, two oil changes and a brake fluid change (oh, and one HVAC filter every other cycle (75K)). Does that get there for $1099? And figure maybe another $50-$100 bump in a year or so on price. If you want the dealer service quasi seal of approval for later resale, maybe enough benefit there to about tip it.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-22-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Actually...that is what I am thinking on 2013 Q5 Hybrid. It's a corner case example. I have new car AudiCare thru 45K interval. On Hybrid, 75K picks up not only plugs (only 4 banger) but also...another tranny fluid service. Unique among any Audi with the ZF 8 speed. Can't buy it until I hit 50K under current terms if you look at that link, so I will find out then. As it reads today, seems do-able.

But maybe only in that sort of corner case is it getting past the line comfortably on the value equation. S8 is closer too since then two air boxes with same 75K second major service--both the added filter and the complexity to pull second set of stuff to get at plugs on that side. W12 is another corner case easier one w/ both the extra plugs and the extra air box and labor. Audi doesn't really filter well for these motor differences on A8/S8, though they do on other models some. Closer call to me on a straight 4.0T A8/L where it is basically a std. tune up, two oil changes and a brake fluid change (oh, and one HVAC filter every other cycle (75K)). Does that get there for $1099? And figure maybe another $50-$100 bump in a year or so on price. If you want the dealer service quasi seal of approval for later resale, maybe enough benefit there to about tip it.
MP4.2, now you are confusing me! You gave me a lot of info, but I assume it still doesn't make sense for me to do the Audi Care if it doesn't cover the 75K service, right?

Not to throw more info out there but I really trust you guys. What are your thoughts on the tire/wheel warranty that the dealer is bound to throw out to me? I live in the Northeast where we get lots of pot holes from the winters. I have 3 tires get bubbles and 1 tire completely blown out from pot holes over the past 10 years, but never damage to a rim. I know they will tell me how expensive the 20" wheels are (sport design ones), curious if this is another offering to avoid or should I jump on it?
Old 04-22-2016, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, correct. Only get one of the choices that includes the 75K interval since that is where most of value is. Read my post again where I edited more info BTW. It is still not a clear call at the price involved, but in the zone. Also to buy the 65K-75K one, car needs at least 50K miles. I asked about whether that really applied for a CPO with the wording, but they said no. Thus, you would have to wait to get it since you said you are looking at ones with around 35K miles currently. Wording says you can buy any time, subject to the mileage minimum.

Wheel and tire--no views and I live in sunny CA so a way different environment. See what others say. We have lots of mediocre roads anyway with so much of the money increasingly effectively being diverted to pay off government employee costs. I don't get the coverage myself ever (or any other add ons), but with lousy roads perhaps a different equation. Here though, look at condition of tires. If new that's one thing--which they might well be with those miles for them to CPO it. If definitely used, a bit more of a question. But I don't know how those work as far as tire replacement, need to use dealer, etc. Realize you can also get tire protection (not wheels) from places like Discount Tire, Tire Rack, etc. Tire Rack is currently rolling a basic flavor into their tires for a few years from recent purchases I made. So, if you are going there or a local indy shop for later tires and these have limited life anyway, does it compute? You would need to understand coverage ins and outs to assess better.

Since you asked wheels and tires BTW, it dawns on me that CPO says they have to be at at least 50% IIRC. When I looked at another 2015 at only 15K and back when I bought my W12 CPO at about the same miles, they had already changed out tires to new; nice and OE spec. in each case. While at it, watch brakes really closely and review measurement details. Pads are likely pretty well past 50% if not changed. See section 6.4 and section 6.5 of CPO checklist for tires and brakes. You will see this during sales process and be given a copy, so know what to look for on these couple areas. Comes down to who pays--you later or rolled into pricing now. If they did new pads, non issue and another plus. https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...-Checklist.pdf

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-22-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

A8L 4.0T w/ 56k // read the dealer's maintenance booklet for details- you will see that some services are 'major' and some are 'minor' when reading the list (it is scrambled in the text mixing all models);
*the service belt IMO should be inspected at 55 & 65k and changed at 75k a major and the list is longer; spark plugs come up at 35k & 75k

look for service/change of air filter, cabin filter, oil/filter and spark plugs- that will tell you the major/minor designation

I surveyed various dealers: the services can be bought individually or in pair (55 & 65) or (65 + 75) either way there is minimal savings unless there is competition in the area

Any serious independent can do the service IMO

Quick Reply: Should I purchase Audi Care on 2013 CPO A8?